Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
122,231
Reputation
11,959
Daps
253,786
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio



this was the fight that roy popped dirty for with the OG ripped fuel...only reason this wasnt a NC was that hall popped dirty too


this one i wish i went to but i kinda dragged my feet about getting tickets












i remember how crazy the odds were for this fight...around this time there was even talks that even paulie could KO khan in this and khan went and put hands on him
 

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
122,231
Reputation
11,959
Daps
253,786
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Hearn Says Canelo-Golovkin III is "Bigger" Now After Canelo Loss to Bivol

BY SEAN NAM
Published Sun May 15, 2022, 02:22 PM EDT
Canelo Alvarez may have seen his seemingly unstoppable momentum stymied recently, but his rare career misstep may have inadvertently pumped some wind into the sails of another fight on the horizon.

Alvarez lost only for the second time in his career last Saturday when he dropped a unanimous decision to 175-pound Russian titlist Dmitry Bivol in their 12-round light heavyweight title bout at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. All three scorecards read 115-113 in favor of Bivol.

Prior to the fight, Alvarez was expected to get past Bivol so that he could move forward with a trilogy with Gennadiy Golovkin in the fall. Those plans appear to be in jeopardy now.

Yet according to Eddie Hearn, the promoter of Alvarez, a third match between Alvarez and Golovkin may have received a shot in the arm because of Alvarez’s loss to Bivol, at least from a perception standpoint. Alvarez, 31, was considered a heavy favorite over Golovkin, partly because of Golovkin’s age (40) and the fact that Alvarez won the second fight. Their first meeting, in 2017, ended in a controversial draw; many observers believed Golovkin had deserved the nod on the scorecards.

Alvarez has also enjoyed an air of invincibility in recent years; he fully unified the 168-pound division last year with an 11th-round knockout of Caleb Plant and had earned a title at 175 with an 11th-round knockout of Sergey Kovalev in 2019. Alvarez is still the undisputed champion at 168.

Hearn believes that while Alvarez (57-2-2, 39 KOs) is still the heavy favorite against Golovkin, the disparity is not as great as it once was, which would presumably strengthen the marketing pitch of their potential fight.

“It’s still a huge fight,” Hearn said of Canelo-Golovkin III in an interview with IFL TV. “Funnily enough, the Golovkin fight becomes bigger now because people give Golovkin a chance of winning the fight. Before it was all like, ‘Oh, he’s 39 he’s 40, he’s not going to win the fight.’ Now people look at that performance and say, ‘OK, maybe Golovkin’s got more chance. So that’s a massive fight, as is the [Bivol] rematch.”

Golovkin (42-1-1, 37 KOs) had done his part in securing a rematch with Alvarez with a ninth-round technical stoppage of Ryota Murata last month in their 12-round middleweight title unification bout in Tokyo. Golovkin weathered Murata's onslaught in the early rounds before turning up his offense in the second half of the bout.

It is not clear whom Golovkin will face next if Alvarez ends up deciding Bivol is the more attractive fight.

Alvarez has the right to a rematch with Bivol should he decide he wants to go down that path. While Alvarez’s stock may have dropped, Hearn said, his fight with Golovkin is more alluring than before.

“If he would’ve beaten Dmitry Bivol people would’ve said the Golovkin fight, ‘he’s a huge favorite now,’” Hearn said. “He’s (Alvarez) still the favorite. It’s a huge fight. We’ll see.”
 

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
122,231
Reputation
11,959
Daps
253,786
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Jarrell Miller Comeback Bout Set for June 25 on Triller

BY SEAN NAM
Published Sun May 15, 2022, 04:11 PM EDT
The boxing exile of Jarrell Miller is fast approaching an end.

Miller, the brash heavyweight contender who saw his once promising career go belly-up from a slew of drug test failures, is set to return to the ring June 25 as the headliner on a Triller Fight Club card. Out of the ring for nearly four years, the Brooklyn native is expected to face Nigeria’s Onoriode Ehwarieme.

The timing of the fight could not be any better for Miller, who was handed a 24-month backdated suspension in December 2020 by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for testing positive for a banned substance (GW501516, a fat burner) ahead of his July 9 fight earlier that year with Jerry Forrest.

Miller’s suspension ends on June 16, or nine days before his scheduled comeback. In a deal made with the NSAC, Miller is immediately eligible to apply for a license after the conclusion of his suspension, so long as he continues to participate in random drug testing administered by VADA.

Miller’s comeback was announced on the Triller Fight Club pay-per-view broadcast featuring Sergey Kovalev in a 10-round cruiserweight bout against Tervel Pulev at the Kia Forum in Inglewood, California, which Kovalev, making his debut at the weight, would go on to win on points. The Miller-Ehwarieme bout was printed on the canvas.

Miller, 33, has not fought since November 2018, when he drubbed Bogdan Dinu in four rounds at Kansas Star Arena in Mulvane, Kansas. His upcoming opponent, 34-year-old Ehwarieme (20-2, 19 KOs) is 3-2 in his last three fights.

Miller has tested positive for performance enhancing drugs several times throughout his career, the most infamous of which took place ahead of his scheduled June 2019 bout against then unified heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The drugs in question were human growth hormone, EPO and GW501516 – the latter was the same substance for which he was busted ahead of his bout with Forrest.

Miller (23-0-1, 20 KOs) also tested positive for a banned substance in 2014, back when he was a professional kickboxer.
 
Top