Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Dan Rafael chat wrap 8/7:

- Believes Ward will eventually get a PPV fight and/or a fight with a big named star fighter.
- Ward is in the works to be on the Canelo-Cotto PPV. It is not done, but in the works.
- Kirkland may fight on the undercard of Canelo-Cotto. His understanding is that Kirkland is partially promoted by GB, so his ties to 50 Cent don't make it impossible to make fights.
- Believes the Mayweather-Berto PPV will do around 600k buys, possibly less. Has not heard one positive thing from anyone regarding this fight. May be Mayweather's lowest selling PPV in a decade.
- When big fights happen he gets radio requests from around the world. Mayweather fights would produce a ton of requests. For this fight he has only 1 request so far and it was from the UK. Highly unusual lack of interest so far.
- Expects Canelo vs. Cotto to sell more than Mayweather vs. Berto.
- The undercard for Mayweather-Berto looks decent. Undercard will be Jack-Groves, Martinez-Salido, another fight they are working on, and Martirosyan-Smith on the Showtime pre-show.
- Been frustrated lately by the liars and BS'ers within the industry lately.
- Broner says he is returning October 3. Likely on Thurman's undercard.
- WBO ordered Bradley his mandatory of Ali today. Has not heard if the WBO will allow a step aside or not. If they don't Bradley would have to drop the belt to fight Rios.
- Likes a Bradley vs. Ali fight, but prefers Bradley vs. Rios.
- Never been to a fight where he wasn't working, so he has never gone as a fan and gotten to root and cheer.
- If Berto wins it still isn't a bigger upset than Douglas vs. Tyson.
- The WBO is not a TR belt. The WBO has 17 world titles, TR currently owns 3 of those belts (Bradley, Crawford, and Lomachenko).
- Fastest KO he has seen? In bigger fights: Tua vs. Moorer and Tyson vs. Etienne.
- HBO will be doing special programming for GGG vs. Lemiuex. Has not heard if it is a 24/7, Face Off, or what exactly.
- Updates on GGG PPV? Chocolatito opponent not set, Stiverne vs. Ortiz is close, and it should be a good fight for as long as it lasts.
- Was at the Entienne-Oquendo fight and a prominent writer sitting next to him was mocking Entienne saying he didn't have a glass chin, he had a glass head. Entienne's family was sitting behind them and almost got into a fight with the other writer.
- The rumor he heard was that CBS, Showtime, and Haymon were all willing to put Mayweather vs. Berto on free TV, but they required Mayweather to take less money than his standard contract. He said no and to finance the fight they have to put it on PPV.
- Believes Floyd has an excellent chance for a KO vs. Berto.
- Dirrell vs. Rubio on Sept. 6. Quillin should be fighting Sept. 12.
- Stiverne has accepted to fight Ortiz on the GGG-Lemiuex undercard. They are waiting on Ortiz to decide.
- Quigg and Donaire are in talks to fight in November.
- Mares vs. LSC atmosphere will be good, but not Mosley-Mayorga good.
- Expecting Cotto vs. Canelo to be announced on Monday or Tuesday.
- Always thought Malignaggi was an overachiever. He and Danny are not necessarily friends, but like each other.
- If Malignaggi is an overachiever, who are big underachievers? Broner, Pavlik.
- Believes Huck beats Glowacki easily.
- Who would he have chosen for Floyd to fight? Khan or Thurman.
- Shawn Porter will be sitting in as commentator for Tarver on Spike next week.
- Would love to see Garcia vs. Thurman.
- Although the announcement came late, Berto knew about the fight before the announcement and has been in training camp.
- Jessie Vargas is appealing the result of the Bradley fight. His appeal has not been heard, but gives him zero chance.
- Does not think this will be Floyd's last fight.
- Fight official today, Spence will face Van Heerdan on the Stevenson undercard, Sept. 11.
- The IBF said that Hopkins never responded to the order to face Beterbiev, so they move on to the next ranked fighter which is Chilemba. The IBF has been following their own rules consistently lately.
- Likes the idea of a Porter-Peterson fight.
- Not really any fighters currently that he hasn't seen in person that he wishes he could. Possibly Inoue.
- Mayweather Promotions is going to be the sole promoter for his fight vs. Berto.
- Floyd promised to vacate his belts following the Pacquiao fight. He had 5 belts, vacated 0 and was stripped of 1.
- Talked with the WBA and they said they will require Danny Garcia to defend his belt at 140 within 90 days or he will be stripped (he can also relinquish the belt).
- Told Thurman on a conference call that he was moved from WBA interim to WBA regular champion. Thurman had not heard and was confused.
- Joshua vs. Parker right now? Joshua.
- Doesn't like that PBC's announcer isn't in the ring.

Last edited:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
- The rumor he heard was that CBS, Showtime, and Haymon were all willing to put Mayweather vs. Berto on free TV, but they required Mayweather to take less money than his standard contract. He said no and to finance the fight they have to put it on PPV.

Well, that ends me buying this PPV:camby:

I'll pay my $20 and watch this in theatres....what I look like looking out for Floyd's pockets, but he doesnt care about mine:rudy::what::dahell::camby:

:pacspit:

- If Malignaggi is an overachiever, who are big underachievers? Broner, Pavlik.

#OhioPlayers

:mjcry:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps

I imagined they would. I thought that Haymon was giving Showtime lower tier fights for his top fighter's to protect his PBC investment and thought he might get PBC going early with good matchups.
He has done a decent job, but nothing really outstanding...so I moved my opinion to that he wanted to build up some viewership to get people to check before he started churning out great fights and risking some L's on fighters records.

Probably a wise move on his part.

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
The IBF said that Hopkins never responded to the order to face Beterbiev, so they move on to the next ranked fighter which is Chilemba. The IBF has been following their own rules consistently lately

this would be a good test for beterbiev