The official Black men are actually heroes thread. Examples of heroism inside.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Exclusive: Horror, Heroism On The 3 Train​

FEBRUARY 17, 2011 / 8:25 PM / CBS NEW YORK

NEW YORK (CBS 2) -- Lives change in an instant, and sometimes in that instant heroes are made.

One man who was wounded during the Sheepshead Bay murder spree last weekend has a second chance at life now -- and he owes it all to a quick thinking stranger, who bravely stepped up.

"I knew I had to stop the bleeding. It was like boom, boom, like a heart pumping," Alfred Douglas told CBS 2's Kristine Johnson on Thursday.

Five days after he was viciously attacked on the subway, Philadelphia resident Joseph Lozito called the man who saved his life.

"He said he didn't save my life, yet I think he did. I thanked him profusely and told him I owe my life to him," Lozito said.

MvTcL9L.jpg

Alfred Douglas is being called a hero because he helped save a man who was viciously slashed on a number 3 train in New York City on Feb. 12, 2011. (Photo: CBS 2)

Both men were on the number 3 train on Saturday when Maksim Gelman allegedly pulled out a knife and told Lozito he was going to die. What happened next was a fight for his life.

"Emotionally, I was angry," Lozito said.

But he was grievously wounded, deeply slashed around the head and neck. That's when Alfred Douglas sprung into action.

First, he used his bare hands to stop the flow and then a paper towel, all while trying get Lozito, now hysterical, to keep his cool.

"He was in bad shape. He was crying for his family: 'I have two boys. I don't want to die.' I tried to keep him calm," Douglas said.

But with the train still not moving, Douglas admitted he did think Lozito might not make it.

"We were there for a long time. I was worried he was gonna bleed to death," Douglas said.

Lozito, who himself was hailed a hero that day, said that's exactly what Douglas is to him. Still, Douglas shrugged off the accolade.

"I just did what any normal human being would do," Douglas said.

Ironically, it was a day off for Douglas, a supervising carpenter at the World Trade Center. But he said he wanted to check the job site and that's why he was on the subway.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Uber driver paused mid-ride to rescue people from burning Brooklyn building​

Although Fritz Sam’s Uber passenger had a flight to catch, he turned to her and asked: ‘Can we stop and help?’

By Sydney Page
August 20, 2022 at 6:00 a.m. EDT

imrs.php

When Uber driver Fritz Sam saw a blaze in a Brooklyn brownstone, he paused his ride and ran into the building. (Jemimah James Wei)

Fritz Sam started his day driving an Uber in New York City, just as he had for the past seven years. But moments into his second ride, his morning took a terrifying turn.
Suddenly, he found himself sprinting toward a burning building.

He had picked up a passenger, Jemimah James Wei, around 8 a.m. in Brooklyn on Wednesday. She was headed to LaGuardia Airport to catch a 10 a.m. flight to Vermont.

“Five minutes into the ride, we’re passing this block and I noticed that there’s some activity going on in front of a brownstone,” recalled Sam, 54. “I realized it was a fire.”

As he approached the home, he saw that a second-floor window was completely engulfed in flames. Although his passenger had a flight to catch, Sam turned to her and asked: “Can we stop and help?”

“Obviously!” Wei, 29, told him.
They darted toward the commotion, and “flames were shooting out of the building. There were glass shards everywhere,” Wei said. “It looked really bad.”

“From the outside, it looked serious,” said Sam, a father of two daughters, ages 7 and 9. “I could imagine what it must have looked like in the apartment.”

A crowd had gathered on the sidewalk, and people were panicking as residents rushed out of the building. Sam asked if anyone was still inside. No one seemed to know, so he made a flash decision to run in himself.

“I felt like I had a responsibility to do this,” Sam said in a phone interview with The Washington Post, adding that he wasn’t about to leave the scene if people were possibly stuck inside. “I had to do something.”

“It’s not my family, but it’s someone else’s family,” he continued. “If it was my family, and I wasn’t able to be there, I would hope that somebody else would go in and help them.”

imrs.php

Sam, right, with his wife, Nikki, and their two daughters, Kaileyrose, 9, and Skyler, 7. (Family photo)

Wei said she was stunned.

“It wasn’t even a calculated decision. He just ran in without hesitation,” she said. “He ran straight into the fire. I thought it was so brave.”

Sam handed a stranger his cellphone, he said, “and I just ran upstairs into the building, screaming, ‘Everybody, get out! Fire!’”

While inside, he saw one man who insisted on retrieving something quickly from another floor, he said. He also found a woman at the top of a staircase with smoke billowing behind her. He urged her to exit the building, but she refused.

“I think she was in shock, and she didn’t want to leave,” Sam said. “It took a little bit of negotiating.”

“I’m not leaving without you,” he recalled telling the woman. “If you’re not leaving, I’m not leaving.”

Before long, she agreed to go with him, he said. As he led her down the stairs, “you could hear stuff crackling and popping,” Sam said about the advancing flames.

Once the woman was outside, he went back into the building to ensure the man he originally encountered was no longer there. He was, so Sam guided him to safety, too, he said.

By then — about six minutes after Sam got to the scene — the brownstone was empty, and a team of police officers and firefighters had arrived to extinguish the flames. Nobody was hurt in the fire, and the cause is under investigation.

“It was quite an experience,” Sam said.

Once first responders got to work and it was clear everyone was safe, he got back in his vehicle with Wei.

“I apologized to Jemimah,” Sam said. “And I was asking her if I smell like smoke.”

“Firstly, you smell fine,” Wei recalled telling him. “And secondly, you just saved a life. Maybe multiple.”

She said she was not concerned about potentially missing her flight.

“It didn’t cross my mind because there was a building on fire,” Wei explained. “It’s just a flight. There is no comparison.”

Following the dramatic stop on the way to the airport, Wei — who is a writer and was traveling to Vermont for a writers’ conference — chatted with her driver. She learned he had aspirations of one day writing a children’s book with his daughters. Wei said she’d be excited to help him, and they exchanged contact information.

Somehow, Wei made her flight, and before taking off, she decided to share the ordeal on Twitter. By the time she landed, her tweet had been shared thousands of times.

“On the way to the airport this morning and drove by a burning building, my Uber driver LEAPT out of the car and INTO the building while the rest of us screamed at the top of our lungs for people to evacuate, the fire truck came, we rushed to airport, I made my flight. NEW YORK,” Wei wrote.

“I didn’t expect it to go viral,” she said, adding that she was heartened by the overwhelming response. “I think this gave a lot of people hope. This is something so pure and so good, and it really pierces through all the noise.”

imrs.php

Sam has been an Uber driver since 2015. (Fritz Sam)

“He has a really strong moral compass,” Wei said of Sam. “It was an act of pure good-heartedness. I really want good things to happen for him.”

Uber caught wind of her tweet, and Dara Khosrowshahi, the company’s chief executive, called Sam to thank him.

“We’re incredibly grateful to have such a heroic and thoughtful member of our community in Fritz,” an Uber spokeswoman said in an email to The Post. The spokeswoman confirmed that the company is giving Sam a one-year Tesla rental — his daughters’ dream car.

Uber also honored him with a “hometown hero” award and added him to its 2022 Yearbook, which commemorated several standout drivers and couriers.

Sam said that while he’s humbled by the praise, he simply did what he felt he had to do.

“Anybody could do this,” he said. “We all have it in us.”

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

Uber driver paused mid-ride to rescue people from burning Brooklyn building​

Although Fritz Sam’s Uber passenger had a flight to catch, he turned to her and asked: ‘Can we stop and help?’

By Sydney Page
August 20, 2022 at 6:00 a.m. EDT

imrs.php

When Uber driver Fritz Sam saw a blaze in a Brooklyn brownstone, he paused his ride and ran into the building. (Jemimah James Wei)

Fritz Sam started his day driving an Uber in New York City, just as he had for the past seven years. But moments into his second ride, his morning took a terrifying turn.
Suddenly, he found himself sprinting toward a burning building.

He had picked up a passenger, Jemimah James Wei, around 8 a.m. in Brooklyn on Wednesday. She was headed to LaGuardia Airport to catch a 10 a.m. flight to Vermont.

“Five minutes into the ride, we’re passing this block and I noticed that there’s some activity going on in front of a brownstone,” recalled Sam, 54. “I realized it was a fire.”

As he approached the home, he saw that a second-floor window was completely engulfed in flames. Although his passenger had a flight to catch, Sam turned to her and asked: “Can we stop and help?”

“Obviously!” Wei, 29, told him.
They darted toward the commotion, and “flames were shooting out of the building. There were glass shards everywhere,” Wei said. “It looked really bad.”

“From the outside, it looked serious,” said Sam, a father of two daughters, ages 7 and 9. “I could imagine what it must have looked like in the apartment.”

A crowd had gathered on the sidewalk, and people were panicking as residents rushed out of the building. Sam asked if anyone was still inside. No one seemed to know, so he made a flash decision to run in himself.

“I felt like I had a responsibility to do this,” Sam said in a phone interview with The Washington Post, adding that he wasn’t about to leave the scene if people were possibly stuck inside. “I had to do something.”

“It’s not my family, but it’s someone else’s family,” he continued. “If it was my family, and I wasn’t able to be there, I would hope that somebody else would go in and help them.”

imrs.php

Sam, right, with his wife, Nikki, and their two daughters, Kaileyrose, 9, and Skyler, 7. (Family photo)

Wei said she was stunned.

“It wasn’t even a calculated decision. He just ran in without hesitation,” she said. “He ran straight into the fire. I thought it was so brave.”

Sam handed a stranger his cellphone, he said, “and I just ran upstairs into the building, screaming, ‘Everybody, get out! Fire!’”

While inside, he saw one man who insisted on retrieving something quickly from another floor, he said. He also found a woman at the top of a staircase with smoke billowing behind her. He urged her to exit the building, but she refused.

“I think she was in shock, and she didn’t want to leave,” Sam said. “It took a little bit of negotiating.”

“I’m not leaving without you,” he recalled telling the woman. “If you’re not leaving, I’m not leaving.”

Before long, she agreed to go with him, he said. As he led her down the stairs, “you could hear stuff crackling and popping,” Sam said about the advancing flames.

Once the woman was outside, he went back into the building to ensure the man he originally encountered was no longer there. He was, so Sam guided him to safety, too, he said.

By then — about six minutes after Sam got to the scene — the brownstone was empty, and a team of police officers and firefighters had arrived to extinguish the flames. Nobody was hurt in the fire, and the cause is under investigation.

“It was quite an experience,” Sam said.

Once first responders got to work and it was clear everyone was safe, he got back in his vehicle with Wei.

“I apologized to Jemimah,” Sam said. “And I was asking her if I smell like smoke.”

“Firstly, you smell fine,” Wei recalled telling him. “And secondly, you just saved a life. Maybe multiple.”

She said she was not concerned about potentially missing her flight.

“It didn’t cross my mind because there was a building on fire,” Wei explained. “It’s just a flight. There is no comparison.”

Following the dramatic stop on the way to the airport, Wei — who is a writer and was traveling to Vermont for a writers’ conference — chatted with her driver. She learned he had aspirations of one day writing a children’s book with his daughters. Wei said she’d be excited to help him, and they exchanged contact information.

Somehow, Wei made her flight, and before taking off, she decided to share the ordeal on Twitter. By the time she landed, her tweet had been shared thousands of times.

“On the way to the airport this morning and drove by a burning building, my Uber driver LEAPT out of the car and INTO the building while the rest of us screamed at the top of our lungs for people to evacuate, the fire truck came, we rushed to airport, I made my flight. NEW YORK,” Wei wrote.

“I didn’t expect it to go viral,” she said, adding that she was heartened by the overwhelming response. “I think this gave a lot of people hope. This is something so pure and so good, and it really pierces through all the noise.”

imrs.php

Sam has been an Uber driver since 2015. (Fritz Sam)

“He has a really strong moral compass,” Wei said of Sam. “It was an act of pure good-heartedness. I really want good things to happen for him.”

Uber caught wind of her tweet, and Dara Khosrowshahi, the company’s chief executive, called Sam to thank him.

“We’re incredibly grateful to have such a heroic and thoughtful member of our community in Fritz,” an Uber spokeswoman said in an email to The Post. The spokeswoman confirmed that the company is giving Sam a one-year Tesla rental — his daughters’ dream car.

Uber also honored him with a “hometown hero” award and added him to its 2022 Yearbook, which commemorated several standout drivers and couriers.

Sam said that while he’s humbled by the praise, he simply did what he felt he had to do.

“Anybody could do this,” he said. “We all have it in us.”

amazing :salute:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/l...home/531-c5d78e7b-ead9-4dcf-95e0-31f7f72d39e0

MARION, Ind. — Two young men are being hailed as heroes in Grant County, after rescuing a man from his burning home.

Sunday afternoon, before emergency crews arrived on South Adams Street in Marion, Tré Jones, 25, and Marcus Harvey, 24, saw danger and faced it head-on.

They were in the neighborhood when they noticed a fire.

"I'm like 'I smell some smoke. Somebody's house is on fire,'" Jones said. "There's people in the front yard, some of them recording."

"They basically tell us there's a guy inside the house," Harvey added. "We didn't know where he was at, just heard him screaming and everything."

The man inside was trapped by smoke and flames.

"Then I started hearing him," Jones said. "I'm like so why are you all just standing there?"

He decided to take action and risk his own life to save a stranger.

"So I kicked the door in. When I kicked the door in, fire, smoke, all that came through," Jones said. "It blew out at me. I see a little tunnel area I can duck down and get underneath the smoke. Now I could hear him a lot more clear so I'm like 'here I come,'" Jones recalled. "Picked him up, scooted him out the house. When I got to the door, Marcus assisted me. He grabbed by his pants. We dragged him out here. That's when the firefighters came and stuff."

"As we're coming out of the house, we can't see anything but only thing I can sit there and tell you if you believe in God, mysterious things will happen," Harvey said. "He was there the whole entire time showing us the way out."

The victim, 56-year-old Guy Tarlton, fell asleep while cooking Father's Day dinner. The fire is believed to have started in the oven.

Tarlton's nephew says his uncle's rental had no smoke alarms. Guy is now in critical condition at the hospital, but alive.

"30 percent of his upper body's burned. He has burns on his arms, on his head," Tarlton's nephew said. "We just gotta keep praying that God will bring him through."

The nephew met his uncle's rescuers for the first time on Tuesday.

He wanted his mom, Guy's sister, to meet them too, to say thank you.

Jones and Harvey have been keeping in touch to get updates on Guy. They can't visit him because of COVID-19 restrictions. But they're glad he's still fighting to survive.

And they're glad they faced fire, to make sure he could do so.

"They just had an instinct of human nature to save a person if you hear them saying help," Tarlton said of the young men.

"I didn't know it was that bad. When I was in there, I didn't know, I wasn't even thinking how bad it was. I just knew I had to get him out," Jones said. "It makes me feel good. Like – I know I saved somebody's life for real. I saved somebody's life."

8e100a34-9a88-4132-8b18-792fe8ac5668_1140x641.jpg

smh at the folk who were just standing outside and didn't do anything. Fact that the guy ended up in critical condition means almost certainly that he was a goner if they hadn't gotten him out at that moment.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

https://archive.ph/t*tsQ

“Yesterday my baby girl calls her dad crying - she left her wallet on the bus. 😳

We're all upset and she naively asks if she'll get it back. Not wanting to crush her spirit anymore-I admitted it was highly unlikely.

Get home and there is a young man banging on my door, stirring up the babies... ? “Can I help you?”

He responds he's looking for AK.? “So who are you?”

He begins- “I found her wallet on the bus and wanted to return it.

Everything is still in it, even the money. It happened to me a few weeks ago and I know how bad it feels.”

I took money out of my pocket and gave him what I had.

I couldn't let him go, we talked, he touched my heart some more so I reached into her wallet and gave him the $20 that was sitting there too. 😜

Turns out young Baxter is 19, goes to school in NY AND is the son of a co-worker(small world)...

This gesture has doused my cynicism and restored my faith.

Mr and Mrs Charles Perkins, you should be proud.

AND he has become an honorary member of our family. 😍

Credit: Stephanie Robertson-King

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/1
This is Corion Evans.

While he was driving in Mississippi, he saw a car swerve and crash into a river. Without hesitating, he ran out, jumped into the water, and rescued three girls inside.

He was 16 at the time.

The driver of the vehicle stated she was following her GPS and did not realize she was going into the water.

Corion Evans said he immediately ran over, took off his shoes and shirt and went into the water when he saw the car sinking and heard the three occupants shouting for help.

When Police Officer Gary Mercer responded to the scene, he attempted to bring one person to shore who began panicking and caused him to struggle under water.

Evans then helped rescue the officer, too.

Officials presented Evans with a certificate of commendation for his heroism in rescuing the four people. They also recognized Mercer for his "bravery in the rescue."

“It's not often enough that you see people put others above themselves."
GKMjE67WwAAJ3BT.jpg

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Wisconsin eighth grader takes the wheel of his school bus after driver loses consciousness​

By Kaila Nichols, CNN

3 minute read

Published 12:28 PM EDT, Sun May 5, 2024

Acie Holland, 14, is pictured receiving an award from the local police department.

Acie Holland, 14, is pictured receiving an award from the local police department.

Courtesy Kimberly Holland

CNN —

It was a normal end to the school day in late April for Acie Holland III, an eighth grader at Glen Hills Middle School in Glendale, Wisconsin.

He followed his routine and got on the school bus to go home. The bus driver joked with students, Holland said, before putting on her headphones.

Then things took a sudden turn.

From his seat past the middle of the bus, Holland said the bus driver looked a little sick or tired and her head dropped. He knew something was wrong when she continued to press the gas and missed a street.

“She turned the corner and there’s another street that we usually turn on. She pressed the gas and went past the corner, and I looked up,” Holland told CNN.

He walked to the front of the bus to check on her, but she didn’t respond, he said. She had temporarily lost consciousness and the bus was veering into oncoming traffic. Holland rushed to move her foot off of the gas. He said he applied the brakes and safely parked the bus.

“I wasn’t really scared, I was just trying to get the bus to stop,” he said.

After stopping the bus, Holland contacted 911 and his grandmother, who is a nurse assistant. He also instructed the other 13-15 students on board to call their families.

“Everybody was just like, ‘thank you’ because I saved their life,” said Holland, who hopes to one day own a barber shop or mechanic shop.

Glen Hills Middle School Principal Anna Young wrote in a note to families that the “community could not be any prouder of Acie.”

“The compassion and leadership that we see him exhibit daily was taken to the next level on his bus ride home yesterday. We are grateful that all of our Glen Hills students are safe and are wishing their driver a healthy recovery,” she continued.

Eventually, the driver regained consciousness and called the bus company, Riteway, which sent another driver to take the students home safely.

According to the school principal, the driver experienced a medical emergency and was receiving care.

Holland’s parents are incredibly proud and relieved.

At first, Holland’s father, Acie Holland II, didn’t believe him when he heard the story later that day.

“Dad, I saved the school bus from crashing,” he told him. Ultimately, the story didn’t surprise him.

“He’s always been a person where he’s real quick on his feet. That’s one of my things that I know he’s capable of, not on the school bus, but just in general, being able to help someone in need,” Holland’s father told CNN. “But I am proud of what he did.”

The small, tight-knit community continues to show its pride since the incident. At a school board meeting earlier this week, Holland gained recognition through a proclamation from the mayor and city council. The Glendale Police Department and the Milwaukee Fire Department also praised his heroics.

Holland had some previous experience with vehicles. Since he was little, he’s been working with his father, a certified auto technician.

“It was like he was in the right place at the right time. So it was, it was meant to be for a variety of reasons, the most important being for the safety of others,” Young said.

Holland appreciates all the recognition he’s been getting. He says he’s just glad he was able to get everyone home safely. He says this experience has given him more self-assurance.

“I feel more confident with having a fight or flight moment,” he said.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/11
Three Louisiana predator hunters caught news anchor, Bill Lunn, attempting to meet up with a 15 year old girl.

Lunn tried to claim that he was the victim of an assault & battery.

2/11
Officials say Bill Lunn was detained Wednesday, May 29 around 11 a.m. in the 9500 block of Chaparral Lane. That’s in southwest Shreveport off Colquitt Road. Police say he’s a suspect in an active investigation into computer-aided solicitation of a minor.
KTBS news director/anchor named as suspect in child sex crime investigation

3/11

4/11
Ten men in 3 weeks, how many men are predators this is so scary

5/11
Always check the sex offender registry in your area. It’s frightening as fukk

6/11
If it were the other way around, those three black men would be in jail right now.

7/11
Absofukkinglutely

8/11
These kids are awesome!

9/11
They’re heroes protecting kids

10/11
I love these boys!

11/11
Same, John

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196
GPQu4c4XUAAROor.jpg

GPQvS4lWIAAO0Ot.jpg

GPQvS4jWsAABx40.jpg

GPQvS4oW0AAGSm3.jpg