The OFFICIAL 2020 College football RANDOM THOUGHTS thread

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
His plan was for Cam Newton to take the reigns after Tebow but we know how that ended. Meyer was going through the motions that season, mentally and physically burned out. Truth be told he should've stepped down after the '09 season.
Thats a weird timeline.

Forgot he was a Mac recruit @dtownreppin214
Think about things from Brantley's perspective. He's an 18 year old kid, and the BEST QB in the Nation. He's committed to the Texas Longhorns, and then Florida comes calling, the alma mater of his father and uncle, two ex-Gator greats. He accepts and goes to Florida. He patiently waits and learns for two years and is finally given his turn...for what? For an offense that isn't tailored to his style? An offense that sets him up to fail, and fail miserably on national television before lay persons and NFL scouts alike

Well, no one seemed to mind when Newton packed his bags and left Gainesville a couple years ago. No one really thought the Gators needed him AND Brantley. In fact, at the time, many thought Newton leaving was good for Florida football because it could make room for a more talented quarterback. That attitude was obviously a mistake in judgment. The Gators could use Newton right now and that fact is not up for debate. If anything, he could be playing tight end right now, but he also might have been a pretty good quarterback at Florida.

"We thought the program would be in good hands for a long time with him," tight end Cornelius Ingram said of Newton. "You could see [the ability] when he got in the game."

Newton had "some goofiness to him" that played out on the Florida practice field, cornerback Markihe Anderson said. A number of players believed Tebow's unquestioned role as starter allowed Newton to lose focus, with another highly rated quarterback recruit, John Brantley, becoming the better practice performer.

"He wasn't always putting his best foot forward [as a backup]," former Gators running back Brandon James said. "Guys would always speak to him, remind him to take things seriously -- 'You're going to be special.' It kind of clicked for him with the bumps in the road away from Florida, but he needed that time to develop."
"If he doesn't get in trouble and sticks it out, Florida doesn't have the problems they've had," James said. "The offense fits him perfect."

"Going to [junior college] was probably a turning point in life, and it may have been the best thing for him," Casey said. "If he stayed at Florida, who knows if he would have had the same spark? It's not certain he wanted to be there anymore."

I remember the high school hype being that Brantley was the "best prospect" and people were most excited about. Then over summer reports there were rumors of Cam Newton being so good he could challenge/beat out Tebow.

Brantley was the pro prospect/Florida legacy. Cam was viewed as a possible position change before all the drama happened. Corneilus Ingram/Gavin dikkey/Jordan Reed/Trey Burton (Last two were understandable)

@malbaker86

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
3449fd42b79a0f9768f6ba4274a52db3.png

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
Thats a weird timeline.

I remember the high school hype being that Brantley was the "best prospect" and people were most excited about. Then over summer reports there were rumors of Cam Newton being so good he could challenge/beat out Tebow.

Brantley was the pro prospect/Florida legacy. Cam was viewed as a possible position change before all the drama happened. Corneilus Ingram/Gavin dikkey/Jordan Reed/Trey Burton (Last two were understandable)

@malbaker86

Yep. Florida fukked up bad at QB. Meyer could of had

Tebow
Newton
Driskel

And been set up to get Lamar Jackson if he stayed (just projecting). Truth be told, we were cooked once Newton and Mullen left and handed the reigns to Addazio.

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
Yall...imagine if McElwain took the Oregon after the 2016 season which he was rumored to be the front runner for a little bit. Taggart doesn't go to Oregon and we woulda had Mullen a season earlier

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Yall...imagine if McElwain took the Oregon after the 2016 season which he was rumored to be the front runner for a little bit. Taggart doesn't go to Oregon and we woulda had Mullen a season earlier
Whats the world on Emory Jones. Is he the guy in 2021?
I know some were hyped about Jalon Jones before he had to transfer

For your sake just hoping Emory isnt Malik Zaire 2.0 :francis:

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
Whats the world on Emory Jones. Is he the guy in 2021?
I know some were hyped about Jalon Jones before he had to transfer

For your sake just hoping Emory isnt Malik Zaire 2.0 :francis:

On gawd, i want Emory to start but Mullen won't do it. He was our most effective runner, stronger arm than Trask....he just needs the snaps.

But in the real, AR-15 (anthony richardsin) gonna be better imo. nikka already was already turning heads during bowl practices and already weigh around 235

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
On gawd, i want Emory to start but Mullen won't do it. He was our most effective runner, stronger arm than Trask....he just needs the snaps.

But in the real, AR-15 (anthony richardsin) gonna be better imo. nikka already was already turning heads during bowl practices and already weigh around 235

He'll be in alachua county jail before he ever takes a snap
:mjpls:

:lolbron:

madness

Taking my talents to South Beach
Daps
Reppin
City of Zoes

i'm sure the wonderfully progressive folks in gainesville will be thrilled to have a tatted up breh at QB:mjgrin:

madness

Taking my talents to South Beach
Daps
Reppin
City of Zoes
Thats a weird timeline.

@malbaker86
If Cam doesn't fukk up I don't see any way a master talent evaluator like Meyer would've allowed him to switch to TE

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium

Saban has fukked up football by allowing THAT fanbase to ever enjoy sports again, but I don't think the Florida empire truly breaks down without him joining the conference. Urban might've still had a couple years where he needed to retool things after Tebow (providing Cam still leaves and Brantley is still ass trash), but I don't know who else could've consistently stopped him.

Remember he wanted to go to UGA but Richt wanted him as a TE
no coach represents the modern state of Georgia athletics more than Richt. Kirb is getting close to that status, but its gonna take a few more Fields and Trevors before we get there

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
If Cam doesn't fukk up I don't see any way a master talent evaluator like Meyer would've allowed him to switch to TE
On the Florida section you hear Cam say how Urban told Cecil he doesnt have the IT factor to play QB.
‘The Cam Chronicles’: The Life and Career of Cam Newton

Now again Cam was probably just a subpar practice player. :manny:
Never really was great at that in Carolina or during preseason.

I do worry about Cam in New England with them putting such emphasis on practice. @iamduval post in the Cam thread got me :lupe: