The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Harley Race

WWE Hall of Famer Harley Race passes away

HarleyRace_1920x1090--2f87f2f02ec28676a108d09743fc6c9b.jpg

WWE is saddened to learn that WWE Hall of Famer Harley Race passed away today at age 76 due to complications from lung cancer.

Harley Race captured the NWA World Heavyweight Championship seven times, which stood as a record until Ric Flair broke it in 1991.

To this day, only a handful of Superstars can claim to have won more World Heavyweight Championships than Race.

During the 1970s and early 1980s, Race was the National Wrestling Alliance’s most dominant champion, winning the sport's oldest World Heavyweight Championship from the likes of Dory Funk Jr., Giant Baba, Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes and Flair.

The tough-as-nails Race was so universally respected that WWE, despite having seceded from the NWA and having its own World Heavyweight Champion, chose to recognize Race's title status as well. As a result, Race was the first NWA Champion to engage in title unification matchups against WWE Champions like "Superstar" Billy Graham and Bob Backlund.

In what seemed unthinkable at the time, Race, one of the NWA’s most influential figures of all time, joined WWE in 1986 during the company's national expansion. After winning the King of the Ring tournament, Race was the first to don regal robes and a crown. “King” Harley Race was managed by Bobby “The Brain” Heenan and was introduced to a new generation of fans. Race battled all of WWE’s top heroes and pinned Junkyard Dog at WrestleMania III in front of a record-setting attendance of 93,000 fans.

WWE extends its condolences to Race’s family, friends and fans.

Published on August 1, 2019
WWE.com Staff

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Cedric Benson

Cedric Benson NFL Running Back Dead at 36 ... Motorcycle Crash

8/18/2019 8:21 AM PT

Breaking News

REMEMBERING CEDRIC BENSON Launch Gallery

Getty

8:37 AM PT -- Cops say the motorcycle slammed into a minivan. The people in the van were not injured and stayed on scene to work with investigators.

f8d7a9d4ff41588b945112d27c7bb376_md.jpg

THE FIERY AFTERMATH
TMZSports.com
Cops say the minivan caught fire -- cops also say speed and poor visibility were factors in the crash. Cops also say the driver of the minivan will most likely not be charged with a crime.

Ex-NFL running back Cedric Benson -- the #4 overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft -- was killed in a motorcycle crash in Austin, Texas late Saturday night. He was only 36.

Benson -- who was a superstar at the University of Texas from 2001 to 2004 -- was reportedly driving his bike with a passenger when they got into an accident with another vehicle around 10 PM.

The passenger -- who has not yet been identified -- was also killed in the wreck. Two other adults were injured. Officials are investigating the accident. Unclear what specifically caused the crash.

Hours before the crash, Benson posted a photo of his motorcycle on social media with the caption, "My Saturday evening."

eb7df80690c349349091537b14d02856_md.jpg

Benson was an incredible athlete -- he racked up more than 5,500 yards at Texas and won the Doak Walker Award (top running back in the country) his senior year.

He signed a rookie deal with the Bears -- 5 years, $35 mil -- and was a key part of Chicago's 2006 NFC Championship team.

Benson later played for the Cincinnati Bengals and Green Bay Packers before retiring in 2012.

Benson had several off the field problems after his career -- he was arrested for drunk driving in 2017 and 2018.

Story developing ...

Damn, I watched this cat in college & the pros:snoop:

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Peter Fonda
Peter Fonda, star of 'Easy Rider,' dies at age 79
By Chelsea J. Carter and Sarah Moon, CNN

Updated 3:00 AM ET, Sat August 17, 2019

190816191258-peter-fonda-1998-exlarge-169.jpg

(CNN)Actor and director Peter Fonda, who stepped out of his legendary Hollywood father's shadow to become a counterculture icon with his role in "Easy Rider," has died. He was 79.

Fonda died of respiratory failure due to lung cancer at his Los Angeles home, his family said in a statement Friday.
"It is with deep sorrow that we share the news that Peter Fonda has passed away," the family said. "... In one of the saddest moments of our lives, we are not able to find the appropriate words to express the pain in our hearts."
As the son of actor Henry Fonda and the brother of actress and activist Jane Fonda, he was a member of the Hollywood powerhouse family. His daughter is actress Bridget Fonda.
190816184610-04-peter-fonda-easy-rider-exlarge-169.jpg

Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda in a scene from the classic "Easy Rider."
In a statement, Jane Fonda said she spent her younger brother's final days with him.
"I am very sad. He was my sweet-hearted baby brother. The talker of the family. I have had beautiful alone time with him these last days. He went out laughing," she said.
Fonda broke out as a star with his turn in the 1969 blockbuster "Easy Rider," which marked its 50th anniversary this year. The film also starred Jack Nicholson and Dennis Hopper.

Hollywood remembers 'sweet-hearted' Peter Fonda

Film critic Roger Ebert called the film "one of the rallying-points of the late '60s," saying it was a buddy picture that celebrated "sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll, and the freedom of the open road."
"It did a lot of repeat business while the sweet smell of pot drifted through theaters," Ebert wrote of the film in 2004.
Fonda was nominated for an Academy Award for the screenplay, a nomination he shared with Hopper.
"I never stopped working, thanks to 'Easy Rider,' " Fonda told The Los Angeles Times in 2007.
His last tweet on August 9 referenced the film: "Easy Rider' at 50: How they put together that groundbreaking soundtrack."
The family asked for privacy to grieve, but said they wished for people to "celebrate his indomitable spirit and love of life"
190816183737-02-peter-fonda-medium-plus-169.jpg

Peter Fonda was nominated for two Academy Awards.
"In honor of Peter, please raise a glass to freedom," the family said.
Freedom was a word Fonda often invoked.
"I believe that one is only truly free when one is learning, and one can only learn when one is free. Freedom is NOT just another word for 'nothing left to lose,'" Fonda said on his website.
Directors, writers, actors and fans took to social media to mourn Fonda.
"RIP Peter Fonda, counter culture legend, groundbreaking actor and all around real life hero, Edgar Wright, who wrote and directed "Baby Driver" said on Twitter.
Ava DuVernay, who directed "Selma," reposted a photo she took with Fonda at a dinner: "Our photo theme was 'crazy', but my takeaway from dinner seated next to the legendary @IAmFonda was 'kind' and 'wise.'"
"Rest in Peace, Kind Sir," she wrote. "
My heart goes out to Jane over the loss of her brother. Peter Fonda was a revolutionary filmmaker during a revolutionary time. Born in the house I now live in, his spirit will be missed.

— Rob Reiner (@robreiner) August 16, 2019
Director Rob Reiner called Fonda a "revolutionary filmmaker during a revolutionary time."
"My heart goes out to Jane," he said via Twitter.
For actress and writer Illeana Douglas, "EASY RIDER depicted the rise of hippie culture, condemned the establishment, and celebrated freedom."
"Peter Fonda embodied those values and instilled them in a generation. Independent cinema begins with EASY RIDER. Period," she said on Twitter.
His career was defined by 'Easy Rider'
Born Peter Henry Fonda in New York on February 23, 1940, he started his career on Broadway in 1961 in "Blood, Sweat and Stanley Poole," according to Playbill.
He directed his first film, "The Hired Hand," in 1971. He also starred in the critically acclaimed western, which was restored and premiered at the 2001 Venice Film Festival.
In 1998, at age 57, Fonda was nominated for a best actor Academy Award for his turn as a beekeeper trying to hold his family together in the indie film "Ulee's Gold." The New York Times said of his performance, "It would be accurate but barely adequate to call this the finest work of Fonda's career."
He went on to star in a number of films, including "The Limey" and "Ocean' Twelve, and television shows, though he never achieved the success of his father.
But his career would forever be defined by his turn as Wyatt, with his stars-and-stripes helmet astride his motorcycle, "Captain America," in "Easy Rider," a rough-hewn character that often times reflected his personal life. Fonda's Wyatt and Hopper's Billy travel from the California-Mexico border to New Orleans in time to celebrate Mardi Gras.
Turner Classic Movies says "Easy Rider" on one level is the story of two drug dealers who become rich from a cocaine deal.
"But the film is much more than that and shows a diverse cross section of American culture that encompasses lifestyle experimentation (the hippie commune), intolerance (the hostile locals at a backwater Louisiana diner), and wanderlust (the motorcycle becomes a symbol for freedom)."
The biker image is one Fonda cultivated from an early age on, partly because of his famous father.
Fonda told the LA Times that it was his rocky relationship with his father that led him to first ride a motorcycle. "My father didn't want me to. I was like in your face," Fonda said. "As soon as I could I bought a Harley."
Coming to peace with his father
Like his siblings, Fonda had an at-times complex relationship with his father.
190816185131-06-peter-fonda-ulees-gold-medium-plus-169.jpg

Peter Fonda in a scene from 1997's "Ulee's Gold."
In a 1994 CNN interview, which came as he released his autobiography, "Don't Tell Dad: A Memoir," Fonda opened up about the genesis of rebellion.
"It was a desire to be heard -- a father who was not communicative at all. I became quite angry as I learned that I wasn't me -- I was Henry Fonda's son. I had no idea who he was; I didn't want to be identified that way. I was demanding to be heard on my own grounds."
The two reconciled after Fonda shared the screen with his father in the 1979 film, Wanda Nevada. Fonda told CNN he was 38 when his father told him he loved him.
"...and he put his hands on my shoulders and it was the oddest sensation of both him pushing me away and pulling me to him. Tears streaming down his face, he said in that beautiful Henry Fonda, non-blinking straight talk, 'I love you very much, son.' 'Well, I love you very much, dad.' And I got in my car and drove away,'" he said.
CNN's Sandra Gonzalez contributed to this report.

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I think Joe Biden is gonna die before the election whether he is nominated or not. Something is off to his eyes to me.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Ric Ocasek

Ric Ocasek, lead singer of The Cars, found dead at 75 years old
By Elizabeth Joseph and Theresa Waldrop, CNN

Updated 11:37 PM ET, Sun September 15, 2019

190915231252-the-cars-band-pic-2-exlarge-169.jpg

(CNN)Ric Ocasek, lead singer of the new wave rock band The Cars, died Sunday in New York City, police said. He was 75.

The New York Police Department received a call around 4 p.m. "for an unconscious male" at a townhouse on East 19th Street, the Office of the Deputy Commissioner, Public Information told CNN.
Ocasek, whose identity was confirmed by police, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Cars became hugely popular in the late 1970s and early 80s with hits including "My Best Friend's Girl" and "Drive."

The Cars' Ric Ocasek and Paulina Porizkova 'peacefully separated'

The Cars were a mainstay of MTV in its early days. Their video for "Double Life" was the 21st video ever played on the new cable channel, according to VH1.
Ocasek married supermodel Paulina Porizkova after the two met while shooting the video for 1984's "Drive." The couple last year announced their separation. They had two children together.
He was known for his mop of black hair and black sunglasses, which featured in many of the band's videos, including "You Might Think" in 1984.
Ocasek and The Cars were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2018.
"(T)he Cars were the ultimate New Wave dream machine: a hook-savvy super-charged quintet that fused 60s pop, 70s glam and avant-rock minimalism into a decade of dashboard-radio nirvana," the band's biography reads on the Hall of Fame website.
The band had 13 Top 40 singles and four Top 10 LPs, according to the biography.
Ocasek founded the group in 1976, the biography said.
A demo tape of one of the band's first songs, "Just What I Needed," was so popular on two Boston radio stations that the band caught the attention of record companies, according to a Contemporary Musicians biography.
Ocasek was the band's main song writer and also played rhythm guitar.
The band broke up in 1988, but Ocasek went on to make solo albums, the biography said.
In an interview with Rolling Stone magazine ahead of the band's induction into the Hall of Fame, Ocasek described playing there as "a good cap on the bottle" after so many years.
"It's kind of weird because it's like a lifetime," Ocasek told the magazine, looking back at the history of The Cars. "It is a lifetime. I had three families during that time. They are like lives that go by and millions of people and things and artists and writers and business people and fans. ... It's a lot of stuff. It's been a pretty eventful life, I can say."
Reaction from musicians
As news of Ocasek's death spread, several musicians and other celebrities posted tributes to the fallen rocker.
Musician Billy Idol said in a tweet he was sorry to hear the news.
Sorry 2 hear about #ricocasek RIP loved his work with the band #Suicide

— Billy Idol (@BillyIdol) September 16, 2019
Peter Frampton tweeted that his thoughts were with Ocasek's family and applauded his career as a writer and singer.
So sad. Such a great writer, singer, player, producer. My thoughts are with his family. Rest in peace. 100.3 The Q! on Twitter

— Peter Frampton (@peterframpton) September 16, 2019
Gun N' Roses guitarist Slash posted a photo of Ocasek during a performance.

Rainn Wilson, star of "The Office," also tweeted his condolences, saying he was "stunned and saddened."
I'm stunned and saddened by the loss of Ric Ocasek - he was a visionary who affected the lives and hearts of everyone who listened to music in the 80s. God Speed, Ric! Keep Moving in Stereo!

— RainnWilson (@rainnwilson) September 16, 2019
CNN's Melissa Gray and Hollie Silverman contributed to this report.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Eddie Money

Eddie Money Dies at 70, Weeks After Announcing Esophageal Cancer Diagnosis
Eddie Money died on Friday, less than a month after he announced that he had been diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer

By Maria Pasquini
September 13, 2019 11:05 AM

FB
Twitter

Eighties hitmaker Eddie Money died on Friday at age 70. A representative confirmed to PEOPLE he succumbed to complications from a recent heart valve replacement.

“The Money family regrets to announce that Eddie passed away peacefully early this morning,” his family said in a statement to PEOPLE. “It is with heavy hearts that we say goodbye to our loving husband and father. We cannot imagine our world without him. We are grateful that he will live on forever through his music.”

The “Two Tickets to Paradise” singer’s death came less than a month after he announced that he had been diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer.

“I thought I was just going in to get a checkup and [the doctor] told me that I got cancer,” Money said in a clip from season two of his reality show Real Money. The show follows the daily lives of the musician, his wife Laurie and their five children.

New episodes of Real Money with Eddie Money and family continue tonight at 9:30/8:30c. Set your DVR ➡️ Real Money | Click to Watch or DVR!

To partner with Eddie Money in the fight against cancer please visit: Keck School of Medicine of USC pic.twitter.com/8CTvCI5Tac

— AXS TV (@AXSTV) September 12, 2019

Money received his diagnosis in the fall of 2018 while filming for the second season of his AXS TV reality series, which began airing that year. The news was announced as the musician recovered from his heart valve procedure this summer.

Money went on to cancel the rest of his 2019 tour dates in July after developing pneumonia.

“We are incredibly saddened to hear that Eddie Money passed away,” AXS tells PEOPLE in a statement. “Our thoughts are with Laurie, Jesse, Dez, Joe, Julian and Zach at this time.” The network plans to air the final five episodes of the series, in addition to a special tribute on Sunday, Sept. 15.

RELATED: Musician Eddie Money Reveals He’s Been Diagnosed with Stage 4 Esophageal Cancer

Tim Mosenfelder/Getty

Eddie Money
Jim Steinfeldt/Michael Ochs Archives/Getty

Eddie Money
Money rose to fame in the ’70s and ’80s with hit songs like “Take Me Home Tonight,” “Walk on Water” and “Baby Hold On.”

As the son of a New York City Police Officer, Money initially tried to follow in his father’s footsteps, and actually entered an NYPD training program before quitting and moving to California.

“I would have been a very lenient cop,” Money told Rolling Stone in 2018.

Over the course of his career, Money scored 11 Top 30 hits on Billboard’s Hot 100 and his hit “Take Me Home Tonight” earned him a Grammy nomination.

In 1981, Money overdosed on fentanyl. The incident left him with a badly damaged sciatic nerve, which he recounted in his hit 1982 album No Control.

“It was very scary,” he told PEOPLE in 1996. “I was in physical therapy for more than a year.”

RELATED: Remember Eddie Money with These Amazing Stories About the ‘Two Tickets to Paradise’ Rocker

After falling for his wife Laurie in 1985, Money decided to join a 12-step program and they went on to marry in 1989.

The pair share children Zachary, Jessica, Joseph, Julian, and Desmond.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Louie Rankin

'Belly' Actor Louie Rankin Dies in Car Crash

9/30/2019 6:50 PM PT
3a42ece6ce654b97a278a6a65035e55f_md.jpg

Exclusive
Grammy-award winning artist Louie Rankin -- famous for his role as Ox in the movie "Belly" -- died in a car crash in Canada ... TMZ has confirmed.

Details are scarce, but Louie died Monday in a fatal wreck in Ontario, Canada ... the crash reportedly involved a transport truck and another vehicle.

Louie starred alongside Nas and DMX in the 1998 crime drama "Belly" ... and his character, Ox, was a Jamaican kingpin.

Nas and Louie became close friends during filming, and the pair reunited years later for a cameo in a DJ Khaled music video for his song, "Nas Album Done."

His other acting credits include 2002's "Shottas" and 2014's "We Run These Streets."

Born and raised in Jamaica, Louie was also a Jamaican dancehall and reggae artist ... and he released a huge single in 1992 called "Typewriter," which won a Grammy.

Louie often referred to himself in his lyrics as the "Original Don Dada."

RIP

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Jessye Norman

Renowned Opera Star Jessye Norman Dead At 74
Norman’s passionate soprano voice won her four Grammy Awards.
partner-ap-f677a31cc0127fa35ff21851b21efd604501912a8bf16ccf4d8c68e6e9de997c.png

NEW YORK (AP) — Jessye Norman, the renowned international opera star whose passionate soprano voice won her four Grammy Awards, the National Medal of Arts and the Kennedy Center Honor, has died, according to family spokesperson Gwendolyn Quinn. She was 74.

A statement released to The Associated Press on Monday said Norman died at 7:54 a.m. EDT from septic shock and multi-organ failure secondary to complications of a spinal cord injury she had sustained in 2015. She died at Mount Sinai St. Luke’s Hospital in New York, and was surrounded by loved ones.

“We are so proud of Jessye’s musical achievements and the inspiration that she provided to audiences around the world that will continue to be a source of joy. We are equally proud of her humanitarian endeavors addressing matters such as hunger, homelessness, youth development, and arts and culture education,” the family statement read.

Funeral arrangements will be announced in the coming days.

Norman was a trailblazing performer, and one of the rare black singers to attain worldwide stardom in the opera world, performing at such revered houses like La Scala and the Metropolitan Opera, and singing title roles in works like “Carmen,” ″Aida” and more. She sang the works of Wagner, but was not limited to opera or classical music, performing songs by Duke Ellington and others as well.

Norman was born on September 15, 1945 in Augusta, Georgia, in segregationist times. She grew up singing in church and around a musical family that included pianists and singers. She earned a scholarship to the historically black college Howard University in Washington, D.C., to study music, and later studied at the Peabody Conservatory and the University of Michigan.

Eventually she made her operatic debut in 1969 in Berlin, wowing audiences around the world on stages in Milan, London and New York thanks to her shining vocals, no matter the language. The New York Times described her voice as “a grand mansion of sound.”

“It defines an extraordinary space. It has enormous dimensions, reaching backward and upward. It opens onto unexpected vistas. It contains sunlit rooms, narrow passageways, cavernous falls,” the Times’ Edward Rothstein wrote.

In 1997, at age 52, Norman became the youngest person ever to earn the Kennedy Center Honor in the organization’s 20-year history at the time. She received her National Medal of Arts from former President Barack Obama and has earned honorary doctorates from a number of prestigious schools, including Juilliard, Harvard and Yale. She is a member of British Royal Academy of Music and Georgia Music Hall of Fame. Norman even has orchid named after her in France, and the country also made her a Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters.

She’s earned 15 Grammy nominations throughout her illustrious career, picking up her first at the 1985 show for best classical vocal soloist performance for “Ravel: Songs Of Maurice Ravel.” She earned Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2006.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Diahann Carroll

Diahann Carroll, pioneering actress and Oscar nominee, has died at age 84

Updated on: October 4, 2019 / 6:12 PM / CBS/AP

Diahann Carroll, the Oscar-nominated actress and singer who won critical acclaim as the first black woman to star in a non-servant role in a TV series as "Julia," has died. She was 84.

Carroll's daughter, Suzanne Kay, told CBS News her mother died Friday morning in Los Angeles after battling cancer. Carroll's publicist, Jeffrey Lane, said she had breast cancer.

During her long career, Carroll earned a Tony Award for the musical "No Strings" and an Academy Award nomination for best actress for "Claudine." But she was perhaps best known for her pioneering work on "Julia."

Carroll played Julia Baker, a nurse whose husband had been killed in Vietnam, in the groundbreaking situation comedy that aired from 1968 to 1971. "Diahann Carroll walked this earth for 84 years and broke ground with every footstep. An icon. One of the all-time greats," director Ava DuVernay wrote on Twitter. "She blazed trails through dense forests and elegantly left diamonds along the path for the rest of us to follow. Extraordinary life. Thank you, Ms. Carroll."

Diahann Carroll walked this earth for 84 years and broke ground with every footstep. An icon. One of the all-time greats. She blazed trails through dense forests and elegantly left diamonds along the path for the rest of us to follow. Extraordinary life. Thank you, Ms. Carroll. pic.twitter.com/YXjh7d3LWU

— Ava DuVernay (@ava) October 4, 2019
Although she was not the first black woman to star in her own TV show (Ethel Waters played a maid in the 1950s series "Beulah"), she was the first to star as someone other than a servant. NBC executives were wary about putting "Julia" on the network during the racial unrest of the 1960s, but it was an immediate hit.

diahann-carroll-826135.jpg

Actress Diahann Carroll attends the Associates for Breast & Prostate Cancer Studies 12th Annual Gala of the John Wayne Cancer Institute November 9, 2001, in Beverly Hills, California. Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images
It had its critics, though, including some who said Carroll's character, who is the mother of a young son, was not a realistic portrayal of a black American woman in the 1960s. "They said it was a fantasy," Carroll recalled in 1998. "All of this was untrue. Much about the character of Julia I took from my own life, my family."

Not shy when it came to confronting racial barriers, Carroll won her Tony portraying a high-fashion American model in Paris who has a love affair with a white American author in the 1959 Richard Rodgers musical "No Strings." Critic Walter Kerr described her as "a girl with a sweet smile, brilliant dark eyes and a profile regal enough to belong on a coin."

She appeared often in plays previously considered exclusive territory for white actresses: "Same Time, Next Year," ''Agnes of God" and "Sunset Boulevard" (as faded star Norma Desmond, the role played by Gloria Swanson in the 1950 film). "I like to think that I opened doors for other women, although that wasn't my original intention," she said in 2002.

Her film career was sporadic. She began with a secondary role in "Carmen Jones" in 1954 and five years later appeared in "Porgy and Bess," although her singing voice was dubbed because it wasn't considered strong enough for the Gershwin opera.

Her other films included "Goodbye Again," ''Hurry Sundown," ''Paris Blues" and "The Split." The 1974 film "Claudine" provided her most memorable role.

She played a hard-bitten single mother of six who finds romance in Harlem with a garbage man played by James Earl Jones. Carroll said she got the role after the intended lead actress, Diana Sands, became sick and insisted her friend take the role (Sands died in 1973).

But Carroll said the powers that be did not see her in the role because of her work in "Julia" and made her audition without makeup. "Give me a chance. Just give me the opportunity to show you that I understand," she recalled telling them in an interview with the National Visionary Leadership Project. "I'm an actress, singer, from New York City, from the streets of New York, and I pride myself on my work ... I would like to be given the opportunity to stretch my wings."

diahann-carroll-ap-7209131189.jpg

Singer and actress Diahann Carroll is seen in an undated photo. AP Photo/Jean-Jacques Levy
She would end up being nominated for her Oscar, and she called the filming a magical experience. "I had such a good time, I almost told them you don't need to pay me," she added.

In the 1980s, she joined in the long-running prime-time soap opera "Dynasty" as Dominique Deveraux, the glamorous half-sister of Blake Carrington; her physical battles with Alexis Carrington, played by Joan Collins, were among fan highlights. Another memorable role was Marion Gilbert, as the haughty mother of Whitley Gilbert (played by Jasmine Guy) on the TV series "A Different World."

"Diahann Carroll you taught us so much. We are stronger, more beautiful and risk takers because of you. We will forever sing your praises and speak your name. Love Love Love, Debbie," wrote actress, dancer and director Debbie Allen, who was a producer on "A Different World."

Diahann Carroll you taught us so much. We are stronger, more beautiful and risk takers because of you. We will forever sing your praises and speak your name. Love Love Love, Debbie pic.twitter.com/1LBUUa2Ql3

— Debbie Allen (@msdebbieallen) October 4, 2019
More recently, she had a number of guest shots and small roles in TV series, including playing the mother of Isaiah Washington's character, Dr. Preston Burke, on "Grey's Anatomy" and a stretch on the TV show "White Collar" as the widow June. She also returned to her roots in nightclubs.

In 2006, she made her first club appearance in New York in four decades, singing at Feinstein's at the Regency. Reviewing a return engagement in 2007, a New York Times critic wrote that she sang "Both Sides Now" with "the reflective tone of a woman who has survived many severe storms and remembers every lightning flash and thunderclap."

diahann-carroll-ap-870920058.jpg

Actress Diahann Carroll is seen at the Emmy Awards in Los Angeles September 20, 1987. AP Photo/Douglas Pizac
Carol Diann Johnson was born in New York City and attended the High School for the Performing Arts. Her father was a subway conductor and her mother a homemaker.

She recalled when she was around 3 or 4 her parents took her to an aunt in North Carolina and left her there, without notice, for a year. She said it took a long time to forgive her parents, though she eventually did, and was there for them in their later years.

"It happened, it's over, it's done. A mature person finds a way to let go of that," she told OWN's "Master Class" in an interview a few years ago. "They did a lot of wonderful things. They lived, gave me everything they possibly could, and they passed on."

She began her career as a model in a segregated industry; she got much of her work due to publications like the black magazine Ebony. A prize from "Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts" TV show led to nightclub engagements.

diahann-carroll-ap-7209131197.jpg

Singer and actress Diahann Carroll is seen in an undated photo. AP Photo/Jean-Jacques Levy
In her 1998 memoir "Diahann," Carroll traced her turbulent romantic life, which included liaisons with Harry Belafonte, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, Sammy Davis Jr., Sidney Poitier and David Frost. She even became engaged to Frost, but the engagement was canceled.

An early marriage to nightclub owner Monte Kay resulted in Carroll's only child, Suzanne, as well as a divorce. She also divorced her second husband, retail executive Freddie Glusman, later marrying magazine editor Robert DeLeon, who died.

Her most celebrated marriage was in 1987, to singer Vic Damone, and the two appeared together in nightclubs. But they separated in 1991 and divorced several years later.

After she was treated for breast cancer in 1998, she spoke out for more money for research and for free screening for women who couldn't afford mammograms. "We all look forward to the day that mastectomies, chemotherapy and radiation are considered barbaric," Carroll told a gathering in 2000.

Besides her daughter, she is survived by grandchildren August and Sydney.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Ginger Baker

Rock drummer Ginger Baker dies at 80
By Press Association

Published: 07:13 EDT, 6 October 2019 | Updated: 07:43 EDT, 6 October 2019

Renowned rock drummer Ginger Baker has died at the age of 80.

The revered percussionist founded influential band Cream with Eric Clapton, forging global sales success and a lasting musical legacy.

His daughter confirmed on Sunday that the veteran rocker had died.

The family had announced on September 25 that the London-born drummer was critically ill in hospital, adding that he was “holding his own”.

Nettie Baker said her father died peacefully and without pain.

We are very sad to say that Ginger has passed away peacefully in hospital this morning. Thank you to everyone for your kind words over the past weeks.

— Ginger Baker (@GingerBDrums) October 6, 2019
The musician was noted for his groundbreaking drumming technique, and his showmanship.

Pioneering rock music in the 1960s, he maintained a jazz style and sound, helping build the unique profile of his band Cream, founded with Clapton in 1966.

The group, which also included Jack Bruce, drove a change in rock music which would heavily influence the likes of Led Zeppelin and later artists.

Baker also experimented with percussion from across the globe, and held a long-time interest in African music.

The drummer is an inductee in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame for his work with Cream, a band which derived its name from the “cream of the crop” status of Baker and Clapton, who were known for their virtuosity.

This skill would be on display in rampant solos performed by Baker, who raised the profile of drummers in rock music.

The band earned a devoted following, and released classic rock tracks like Sunshine Of Your Love, Strange Brew, and the Blues-influenced Crossroads.

In his self-assessment, Hellraiser: The Autobiography Of The World’s Greatest Drummer, Baker chronicled his long-lasting drug habits, which included heroin and cocaine.

After Cream came the short-lived Blind Faith, working again with Clapton, along with Steve Winwood.

Unconventionally, the drummer then moved to Lagos to pursue an interest in African music, working with jazz powerhouse Fela Kuti.

He was known to be confrontational, a personality trait captured in the documentary Beware Of Mr Baker, which showed him fighting with the film’s director.

wire-19359968-1570362218-838_634x413.jpg

+1
Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker and Eric Clapton during a reunion in 2005 (Yui Mok/PA)

His manner did not prevent him reuniting with old friend Clapton in 2005, although further reunions were ruled out due to disagreement between Bruce and Baker after the drummer became “Mr Hyde”, according to his former bandmate. Bruce died in 2014.

Baker suffered heart complaints in later life, writing on his personal blog in 2016: “Just seen doctor… big shock… no more gigs for this old drummer… everything is off… of all things I never thought it would be my heart.”

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
John Witherspoon

John Witherspoon Dead at 77 ... Suffered 'Cardiac Arrest'

10/30/2019 8:48 AM PT

Exclusive Details

remembering john witherspoon Launch Gallery

Getty

8:44 AM PT -- We just got the dispatch audio from John's death, and the dispatcher requests rescue for an unconscious man, saying he's under cardiac arrest and CPR is in progress.

86a95e8665c2515ea743ea042ec121d8_md.jpg

DISPATCH AUDIO
Shortly after, the dispatcher says the man died and cancels the rescue.

John Witherspoon, who made his mark in comedy and in films like "Friday" has died.

Witherspoon's family announced he died suddenly Tuesday at his home in Sherman Oaks, California. The statement reads, "It is with deep sadness we have to tweet this, but our husband & father John Witherspoon has passed away."

The statement continues, "He was a Legend in the entertainment industry, and a father figure to all who watched him over the years. We love you 'POPS' always & forever."

Witherspoon's career -- which started in stand-up comedy -- spanned for more than 5 decades, with his most notable role being Willie Jones, father of Ice Cube's character, Craig ... in all of the "Friday" movies.

John did voice work as Gramps on the animated series "The Boondocks," which is being revived for HBO. He also played Pops on "The Wayans Bros." and made appearances on "The Tracy Morgan Show" and "Black Jesus."

4a6653471f8259559f08f93eaf24505d_md.jpg
10/13/2019

LAST TIME WE SAW HIM
TMZ.com
We last spoke to Witherspoon earlier this month at LAX where he told us he was excited about Eddie Murphy getting back into comedy and hoped to see him doing stand-up soon.

He is survived by his wife, Angela, and sons JD and Alexander.

John was 77.

RIP

Originally published -- 10/29 10:35 PM PT