The Official 2016 Olympics thread: Medals Are For the Elite but Zika is For Everybody

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Paying attention to these Olympics more than I have I ever in the past.

Anyone else notice that half of the sports are indoor and could easily be switched to winter if the IOC or NBC felt it needed the ratings? Basketball would be the one drawback because it would be in the middle of the season but all the other indoor sports would be fine.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
such as the Olympics, there are two routes to immortality: You can win a medal, or you can pull off a move never before done in competition. The first gets you some of the most prized hardware on earth. The second gets the move named for your surname, forevermore.

For instance, here’s the list of moves named for United States gymnasts. They include The Church, The Fontaine and, of course, The McNamara; that’s a “jump to clear support on high bar, immediate clear hip circle (circle backward without hips touching bar) to handstand with 180 degree turn in handstand phase on high bar,” but you knew that.

For most gymnasts, that’s an honor beyond compare. But as The Wall Street Journal notes, for Trinidad and Tobago’s Marisa dikk, it’s, well … it’s a bit more than that. Marisa, you see, has already created a new move approved by the International Gymnastics Federation.

[Related: Gary Johnson: Trump will watch Olympics to check Mexican pole vaulters’ heights]

Its technical name is a “a change-leg leap to free-cross split sit.”

Its colloquial name is, yes … “The dikk.”

You can see The dikk at the 10-second mark below. (Yes, we are referring to the gymnastics move. This video is perfectly safe for work.)

Now, Marisa has heard all the jokes, and takes them in stride. The International Gymnastics Federation expects you to stop laughing – stop laughing now! – and focus on more than juvenile humor. “We would like to underline that there are more spectacular new elements expected than her new move,” the organization said in a statement to The WSJ. “We guess last time it makes the buzz only because of her name.”

[Related: Shirtless Tonga flag bearer steals show at Olympic Opening Ceremony]

Marisa has figured out a possible twist on … sorry! alteration to … er, let’s say “variation on” The dikk that could be construed as an entirely new move. We’re sure that everyone can come up with a suitably catchy name, but it would just be called “The dikk II.”

She’ll have the opportunity to compete Sunday, and as she’s not expected to medal, that could be Marisa’s only chance to show … uh, to perform in the Olympics. We’re all pulling … no, wait … we all wish for the best for her. Yes. Let’s go with that.

:russ:

But brehs she fine :damn:
Damn she fine :whoo:
http://wired868.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/marisa-dikk-topless.jpg
http://ctvtt.com/cnews3/images/marissa%20dikk.jpg
30E34D2900000578-3432496-Nailed_it_Marisa_used_a_springboard_leap_into_splits_to_mount_th-a-5_1454625670826.jpg

So who want dikk?:shaq:

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ad-hates-its-olympic-gymnast-marisa-dikk.html
dikk MOVE?
Why Trinidad Hates Its Olympic Gymnast Marisa dikk
NICO HINES
05.09.161:13 AM ET

An 18-year-old girl will make history this summer as the first gymnast from Trinidad and Tobago to represent the island nation at theOlympic Games.

Her battle for qualification has gripped the country, but there will be no parades in her honor, no banners to see her off at the airport, in fact, there will be virtually no support for her whatsoever.

Marisa dikk may even be the most hated figure in Trinidad right now.

“It seems as though it’s not fair,” Pouchet said. “A lot of it’s still speculation but there are emails that indicate that there was communication between some of the parties and also there was a clear conflict of interest.”

The vice president of the Trinidad and Tobago Gymnastics Federation (TTGF), which switched the gymnasts, will now reportedly accompany dikk to the Games in Rio as one of her coaches. Ricardo Lue Shue is also said to be close to the dikk family, hosting the athlete and her mother at his home when they stay in Trinidad.

The TTGF did not respond to a request for comment.

Trinidad sporting officials have always insisted that they are trying to ensure the best athlete, dikk, is the one who represents Trinidad. One source claimed that the public was so supportive of Williams because she was “a black girl from tots and tumblers” whereas dikk is a Canadian-born dual citizen with mixed heritage.

The competition between the athletes was heating up. “There’s myself and my teammate Thema Williams and only one of us gets to go to the Olympics so it’s kinda cut-throat time,” dikk told the Canadian Broadcasting Company last year.

The dispute over who would become Trinidad’s first Olympic gymnast crossed over into the mainstream news on the island soon after the athletes were asked to sign contracts that contained an “ambassador clause.”

Topless photos of Williams then emerged online. An old Instagram post featured an arty triptych with the young athlete covering her chest with an arm and smiling at the camera. “The gymnastics board said [to Williams], ‘You’re in big trouble now,’” explained Lasana Liburd, whose Wired868 site has been covering every twist of the saga. “When they did that, somebody released a similar photo of Marisa [dikk] and now the board is in a bind because both athletes have photos out. Suddenly the chase goes cold and they are not interested in the photos anymore.”

Two months later, Williams was still the named Olympic athlete. She was in Rio getting ready to compete at the test event when she got a phone call from her mom, saying she had been pulled by the team. The Trinidad and Tobago Gymnastics Federation had cut her after an email from American coach John Geddert that said “training was a disaster” and Williams had a sore ankle.

The federation says it immediately tried to contact Geddert, who coached Jordyn Wieber at the 2012 Olympics, but they were unable to get through. If they had done so, Geddert said he would have explained that their interpretation of the email was “taken out of context.”

With the clock ticking, while they were unable to reach the coach, the federation decided to pull Williams.

dikk said she was forced to step in purely because of Williams’s injury.

“She is not a doctor,” said Williams at a press conference last week. “The medics said ‘you are fine’—I don’t feel she is at liberty to make those statements… I am baffled that she would say that.”

The bitter public spat has transformed into the biggest story on the island despite the country’s historic lack of interest in gymnastics. Everyone now has an opinion on Williams vs. dikk.

“It’s prompted a whole public backlash which has gone so far that some people have said that they would not donate any money to the Olympics at all,” Liburd told The Daily Beast. “It’s pretty emotional at this point in time, maybe it will cool down but right now it’s very emotional.”

Since dikk competed at the test event and qualified for the Games, there’s nothing the coaches can now do to change the name of the competitor. The world governing body Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique (FIG) confirmed this week that the decision was now final.

The Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) president Brian Lewis tried to blame to the FIG. “The past few weeks have been grueling and difficult as this situation has taken on very emotional dimensions in the public glare,” he said in a statement. “I make bold to suggest that the FIG, for whatever reasons best known to themselves, took the opportunity to throw the TTOC under the bus.”

In truth, there was little FIG could do after the Trinidadian federation had made their decision that dikk would compete at the test event.

The gymnast whose mount onto the beam while doing the splits has beenformally named after her, is under no illusions about her reputation in Trinidad.

“There has been so much hate, especially on social media,” dikk told Newsday.

During a remarkably tough 25-minute grilling of the teenager on the local CNC3 network, dikk appeared to accept that she would never be fully welcomed.

“It would feel really good in my heart knowing that my country is behind me,” she said. “It would help, but I don’t necessarily need it.”

During interviews, the Canada-born gymnast seems moderately repentant and extremely good-natured. That may surprise a few people when you consider that she has just been formally recognized for “the dikk move.”

Trinidad and Tobago on that :mjpls:
Stole that girls dream from her :pacspit: