The myth of owning property

Daps
Owning a home in America really only has meaning in the legal sense. Naturally, you can't own land. Back in the day, someone could just kill you and take your land like how they did the natives - by right of conquest. You're really paying property taxes for protection. You don't own that home unless other people( (your state, city, country) agree you own it. Without that payment, the documents that say "I own this property" would hold no weight. But I guess you can say in today's world, that protection isn't really needed. IDK b.

Trahunt praesidia ad subigendos sibi.
Protection draws subjugation near to itself.

Daps
Any other property "owners" like myself ever think about this? I pay quite a bit in property taxes every year but it really didn't bother me much because I rent out 4 of my properties and I'm able to cover my taxes no problems. But today a coworker was venting to me (I'm a supervisor) about how his grandfather passed away and left everything to his grandmother. His grandmother never worked a day in her life. Long story short she wasn't able to pay the property taxes so my coworker has to take some time off to go get her to live with him.

I personally don't think it's right to tax land that doesn't make an income. What if you the type of dude who just wanna be self sufficient and grow n hunt for your own stuff? In the end you can say that you own your house or land but you really don't considering taxes, they could change zoning (limit what you can build on your own land), etc

We could say in a caveman-ish sort of way that ownership is by way of possession and defense thereof from encroachment by others id est theft, seizure, condemnation, destruction, et al.

Daps
Doesn't it make sense to pay taxes on land just off the strength of it being a finite resource? specifically if it's purchased, not if it was reparations. But inheriting land is a huge asset and definitely should be taxed. otherwise, we're one step closer to any, old plot of land from becoming it's own state. But this opinion is admittedly not based in too much knowledge of the law. Just chiming in.

Dank Hill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Someones gotta pay. It seems more like poor planning on the part of your coworkers family for not preparing for the grandfathers passing :hubie: . And even if you hunt and grow items on your own land, do you use any ultilities or public roads? Those are maintained with local taxes.
City says Huntsville couple can't live 'off the grid'
HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) -

A Huntsville man joined the military to fight for our rights, but now he says his own rights are being threatened.

MORE

Tyler Truitt and his girlfriend Soraya Hamar are currently living within city limits but without city utilities.

Huntsville officials said that's not allowed. The city filed a lawsuit against Truitt and Hamar, calling their self-sufficient lifestyle unsafe.

The couple says they'd rather be arrested than leave their land.

"We live out here off the grid, 100 percent self-sustaining," Truitt said. "So I basically made all my utilities: I have my solar panels, I have my rainwater collection and stuff."

SLIDESHOW: Tour the couple's property

The city doesn't see that as a good thing.

"They say our house is a trailer, which is not allowed in city limits," Truitt said.

City officials also took issue with Truitt's off-the-grid lifestyle.

"They came and they condemned our house and told us if we stayed here we'd be arrested for trespassing on our own property, and the reason why is, they said, it was unsafe living conditions because we don't have city utilities hooked up," Truitt explained.

The former military member says he just wants the freedoms he swore he'd protect.

"I took an oath that I would support and defend the constitution and the freedoms that entails, and I really feel like those are being trampled upon," Truitt said.

Truitt is prepared to fight for his property. "You have to stand up for what you believe in. They could come out here today if they wanted to and take us to jail for trespassing if that's what they want to call it and, you know, that'd be fine with me. I'll still come back the next day and the next day and the next day because it's my home and because I live here. Where else am I supposed to go really?"

We reached out to Huntsville Utilities and Huntsville City Attorney Peter Joffrion. So far, neither have responded.

Dank Hill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Countries with no property taxes where you REALLY own your home | Nomad Capitalist
List of Countries with No Property Tax
Yes, there actually ARE countries with no property taxes. If you were to tell that to a US politician, they might tell you that if that happened here, the schools would all shut down and people wouldn’t be able to get an education.

To them, the $28,000 a year in Washington, DC or $21,000 a year in New York isn’t enough to offer education. This is the crux with owning real estate in a country that charges you for doing so: The money taken from you is never enough.

Moreover, since they know they can depend on your money through property taxes, politicians often have less incentive to find more reasonable ways to pay for schools, roads, and other public works.

Many countries — specifically those that are engaged in expanding their economy and gaining more attention on the international stage — are realizing that in order to grow, they need to create an environment that is attractive to investors and property owners.

And at Nomad Capitalist, we are all about finding the best.

So, here is a list of countries with no property taxes where you can actually own your home.

EUROPE
Monaco

Monaco-residency-and-citizenship.jpg

This smallest European country with its tax policy and breathtaking views is gaining popularity among nomadic entrepreneurs.

Europe’s smallest non-theocratic micro-state, Monaco, has no property taxes. However, like nearby Liechtenstein, be ready to pay. Monaco’s glistening shoreline and luxurious homes are a major goal of many high-achieving entrepreneurs, and avoiding property taxes helps make property ownership here even more attractive.

If you wish to rent out your Monaco property, there is a 1% tax, although it is payable by the tenant. Overall, Monaco maintains its important place among the list of countries with no taxes — making it a continued favorite playground for the wealthy.

If you are interested in finding out more about Monaco residency and citizenship, we have published a guide with all the details.

Malta

Malta-Residency.jpg

Malta is an archipelago in the central Mediterranean between Sicily and the North African coast. With its beaches, climate, expat community and business environment it is a very appealing base for the nomad community.

Malta, located off the coast of Italy, is a very popular relocation place for expats around the world. It even ranked in top 10 on our 2017 Nomad Quality of Life Index.

We have recently discussed at Nomad Capitalist the Malta Global Resident Programme,designed by the Maltese government to strengthen the property market in this up-and-coming island country and EU member state. Malta offers the benefits of a European lifestyle while offering powerful incentives for property owners and investors, including non-existent property tax. Malta does, however, assess a stamp fee in lieu of property tax. Malta is gaining the attention of many entrepreneurs who see EU residency and potential of economic citizenship as a key part of their internationalization plan.

Outside of Europe, there are a few interesting countries with no property tax. Not surprisingly, several of these are tropical island nations that would be of interest to foreigners escaping the daily grind.

OCEANIA
Fiji

fiji-countries-with-no-property-taxes-e1401538364220.jpg

Fiji is one of only a handful of countries with no property taxes. However, some of these countries still assess a stamp tax at purchase.

Fiji does not assess property tax on freehold land. Less than ten percent of all of Fiji is freehold land, much of it set aside by the British to entice farmers to come and create agricultural goods years ago, but some suggest Fiji real estate is one of the best investments in the region. One of my VC friends loves the place.

Owning land in Fiji is a relatively straightforward way to get permanent residency there. Fiji also has a territorial tax system that allows residents to pay no tax on income earned outside of Fiji, such as through an offshore company. Fiji is a favorite real estate investment by many as it boast competitive rates relative to the Pacific and is a major tourist destination.

Cook Islands

cookislands-1.jpg

Cook Islands, an offshore alternative to a Wyoming trust and one of the countries with no property taxes.

In addition to no wealth taxes or capital gains taxes, the Cook Islands in the South Pacific doesn’t assess property taxes. This island chain, in free association with New Zealand, has recently gained attention for its asset-protection trusts and favorable no-property-tax policies. However, land cannot be easily owned by foreigners in freehold form and instead the government requires leases for non-Cook Islanders that max out at 60 years. This semi-sovereign island chain may become more important for real estate but for now may present some challenges for foreign investors, in spite of its Pacific paradise draw.

CARIBBEAN REGION
Cayman Islands

cayman-islands-no-income-tax.jpg

Cayman Islands has one of the largest and most sophisticated offshore sector, thanks to be a no income tax country and no property taxes country.

The Cayman Islands once again makes the list as a longstanding name in the offshore world: No property taxes, no personal income taxes, no capital gains taxes, no corporate taxes, no payroll taxes and no withholding taxes on domestic of foreign entities. In other words, the Cayman Islands is very friendly to nomadic investors who want to get a piece of this Caribbean property market.

Property prices seem to be rising especially along the main areas of Seven Mile Beach, in light of recent luxury developments and increased demand. The islands are among the most developed in the Caribbean and boast excellent beaches and good business infrastructure, although cost of living can be higher in this region.

Dominica

2.-Dominica.jpg

Dominica gained popularity among expats for its CBI programme, but it is also on our list of countries with no property tax.

Dominica has no property taxes and is a major contender in the second citizenshipworld, offering one of the most cost-effective citizenship by investment programs.

This Caribbean island nation is known as the ‘nature island’ and is English-speaking, having obtained independence from the United Kingdom in 1978. One thing to note is that municipal taxes are levied on properties in Roseau and Canefield urban areas, but otherwise, there are no traditional property taxes associated with most nations.

Turks & Caicos

turks-and-caicos.jpg

Turks and Caicos has no annual property tax on the property itself, although owners will need to pay a one-time transfer tax (Stamp Duty).

There is no property tax in the Turks & Caicos, but there is an annual stamp duty which is on a progressive scale.

The Turks & Caicos, a British Overseas Territory, is also on our list of 18 tax-free countries where you can get second residency and is generally worthwhile for our readers to look into not only from a financial incentive standpoint but for the excellent lifestyle and quality of destination (especially beaches!) it offers.

The luxury real estate market is generally booming here and many of our readers may be interested in what owning property here could offer to diversify their residence or investment choices.

AFRICA
Seychelles

Seychelles-Africa-offers-economic-citizenship.jpg

The island nation of Seychelles is one of the best offshore jurisdictions for corporations. It also has the most powerful passport in Africa.

The Seychelles has no property taxes, but requires almost 7% of a property’s value to be paid in various stamp taxes and notarial fees at sale. It also requires foreigners to deposit monies in advance before buying property. Plus, foreigners may have to get government permissions. (Their banks aren’t so good, either).

Seychelles is one of my favorite jurisdictions for setting up a non-transactional offshore company, but I can think of a lot of places I’d rather own real estate. However, this highly-developed African island nation might be part of your plan if you enjoy the lifestyle and want to avoid property tax. Optimizing what each country can offer you is what comprises the very idea behind planting flags.

ASIA & MIDDLE EAST
Sri Lanka

Sri-Lanka.jpg

After years of being overlooked, Sri Lanka is becoming a popular destination and it’s easy to see why- Not only for its azure beaches and climate, but also for its tax-friendly environment.

Sri Lanka has no property taxes and rental income earned by non-residents is taxed at 20%.

This nation, located below India in the Indian Ocean, is more and more of interest to many entrepreneurs and nomads because of its growing tourism industry and potential towards more pro-business policies.

The economy has had steady growth rates in recent years and is home to major industries such as precious metals, agriculture, IT, and textiles. Capital gains tax was abolished in Sri Lanka over a decade ago and rental income is taxed at a flat rate.

United Arab Emirates

dubai.jpg

Dubai- an exotic place where you can really own a home.

The Middle East is also becoming known as a zero tax region, with many countries there touting no income taxes. Dubai, number 2 on our QOL Index List for 2017 is a place where you can have a home base and an actual home.

Dubai is a “country” with no property tax, although it also assesses a one-time fee upon purchase of the property.

The UAE is home to some of the most innovative and impressive (the world’s tallest building, largest mall, etc.) real estate projects and is also arguably the most welcoming part of the Middle East to international investment and tax-free incentives.

Gulf Countries: Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia
Other Middle Eastern countries like Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, and Saudi Arabia are all property tax-free, as well. While many Westerners might not be paying as much attention to opportunities in this region, the extremely capitalist-friendly (and in some cases nonexistent) tax codes regarding property are appealing.

The region can create challenges for some foreigners regarding permissions or cultural adjustment in the case of residential property. Kuwait, for example, does not allow for foreign ownership except by other GCC countries, and Saudi Arabia restricts non-Muslisms from ownership in the holy cities of Medina and Mecca. Regardless, no property tax is a huge benefit for those looking to reduce their government burden.

neph27

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
coli home ownership is a myth thread vol 2 the remix edition of the thread about whatever dumb YouTube video you coli Infowars types watched this month