The Most NOTABLE/PIONEERING Rappers of CONFIRMED AND ACTUAL Afram descent OFFICIAL list

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
From WHO?
Over the internet...over the years.
:yeshrug:

Now I've learned to take most of these claims with a grain of salt for obvious reasons.
:lolbron:

But anyway here's an example...

Cymarshall Law reveals how Jamaica and reggae influenced hip-hop

ARTIST INTERVIEWS
By Rolling Out | June 12, 2016 10:49 AM EST

Cymarshall-Law-Press-Picture-1-e1465742026343.jpg

Photo credit: Cymarshall Law press team

Cymarshall is a Jamaican-born, English-bred lyricist who aims to give listeners a dose of love and consciousness. His music provides food for the soul, and uplifts people across all barriers. We recently caught up with the budding artist to discuss all things related to music. –andre j. ellington

You weren’t born in America, so what are some of your origins as well as your early influences within the genre of hip-hop?
Well, I was born in England to Jamaican parents and growing up, while many American families might have had Jazz playing around their house at 6, 7, or 8 years old, in my house there was always reggae music being played. My dad was into a lot of conscious reggae music as opposed to the more violent form of reggae music. When I moved to America and started listening to hip-hop, due to me having that conscious influence from my father, I started to gravitate to artists such as Public Enemy, Dead Prez, and Common.

What impact have Jamaica and reggae music had on hip-hop culture?
I’m glad you asked that question. I personally feel like these influences have been around in hip-hop since the beginning. A lot of my favorite hip-hop artists are Jamaican, such as Biggie Smalls, Method Man, and Busta Rhymes. There’s a lot of West Indian influence there, and also Kool Herc, who is one of the founding fathers of hip-hop was actually born in Jamaica and when he moved to the Bronx, he brought a lot of those influences from Jamaica into hip-hop.

Do you feel like your latest project, Hip-Hop in the Soul 3, is your best project to date?
Yeah. I definitely feel like HH3 is my best project because I went through a lot while completing this project. I went back to school twice, my father died of cancer — God rest his soul — my mother also got cancer but she beat it and I was moving around and my kids were getting older, so there [were] just a ton of things that were going on in my life. I also had to get a regular job in the process of all of this because I used to just tour a lot before this album, but I couldn’t afford to have the lifestyle I wanted and also be able to give all my kids the things they wanted so I went and got a 9-to-5 and now I’m able to balance everything out.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Over the internet...over the years.
:yeshrug:

Now I've learned to take most of these claims with a grain of salt for obvious reasons.

But anyway here's an example...

ARTIST INTERVIEWS
By Rolling Out | June 12, 2016 10:49 AM EST

Cymarshall-Law-Press-Picture-1-e1465742026343.jpg

Photo credit: Cymarshall Law press team

Cymarshall is a Jamaican-born, English-bred lyricist who aims to give listeners a dose of love and consciousness. His music provides food for the soul, and uplifts people across all barriers. We recently caught up with the budding artist to discuss all things related to music. –andre j. ellington

You weren’t born in America, so what are some of your origins as well as your early influences within the genre of hip-hop?
Well, I was born in England to Jamaican parents and growing up, while many American families might have had Jazz playing around their house at 6, 7, or 8 years old, in my house there was always reggae music being played. My dad was into a lot of conscious reggae music as opposed to the more violent form of reggae music. When I moved to America and started listening to hip-hop, due to me having that conscious influence from my father, I started to gravitate to artists such as Public Enemy, Dead Prez, and Common.

What impact have Jamaica and reggae music had on hip-hop culture?
I’m glad you asked that question. I personally feel like these influences have been around in hip-hop since the beginning. A lot of my favorite hip-hop artists are Jamaican, such as Biggie Smalls, Method Man, and Busta Rhymes. There’s a lot of West Indian influence there, and also Kool Herc, who is one of the founding fathers of hip-hop was actually born in Jamaica and when he moved to the Bronx, he brought a lot of those influences from Jamaica into hip-hop.

Do you feel like your latest project, Hip-Hop in the Soul 3, is your best project to date?
Yeah. I definitely feel like HH3 is my best project because I went through a lot while completing this project. I went back to school twice, my father died of cancer — God rest his soul — my mother also got cancer but she beat it and I was moving around and my kids were getting older, so there [were] just a ton of things that were going on in my life. I also had to get a regular job in the process of all of this because I used to just tour a lot before this album, but I couldn’t afford to have the lifestyle I wanted and also be able to give all my kids the things they wanted so I went and got a 9-to-5 and now I’m able to balance everything out.

Lol at this nikka not knowing shyt.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Yo Breh wSup wit u bytch tryna act tuff outchsa
My nikka I've lived in your boro and city.
"Yo Ohio can you get me some hammers son"
I'll knock the sazon off you cuzz.
Calm down migo.

From 165 and Boston all the way to Tracy Towers.
No I will not link up with you when I slide through. We will never meet, and fukk your feelings.
fukk latin kings, fukk ddp, fukk neta, fukk trinitarios, fukk solidos, and fukk PR.
:pacspit:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Other areas have ZERO caribbean presence. It would be unfair.

True...that's why I tried to even the field where both caribs and aframs lived so we can really see the level of notables/pioneers within the same mecca/birthplace. I know if we start going to other regions, the carib presence is almost zero:mjgrin:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
s7NONEm.jpg

Phase 2

Unlike some other pioneers of New York City aerosol culture, Phase 2 had a prominent role in the South Bronx hip-hop scene in the early 1980s. He also continues to be referenced in hip-hop songs.

Phase participated in the legendary hip-hop shows organized by Kool Lady Blue during the summer of 1982 at the Roxy nightclub in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. These shows brought together the top DJ's, MC's, breakers, and aerosol artist from the South Bronx and introduced hip-hop music and culture to the downtown punk and new wave scenes. Phase 2 designed the flyers for these events and often did aerosol pieces live on stage.[11] He was also part of the first "international" hip-hop tour when stars from the Roxy performances toured in England and France in November of that year.[12]

To pioneer something, it means walking through uncharted territories, embracing the unknown, but more importantly, being it means being creative. When the center of graffiti culture moved from Philadelphia to NY’s Washington Heights back in the 70s, an iconic chapter in the history of street art was about to begin. One of the people that marked this era was PHASE 2, The Bronx graffiti legend. The origin of his moniker is linked to a party he organized together with his friends. The gathering was so successful that they decided to arrange another one, naming it the PHASE 2. To this day, the artist can’t remember why he was so stuck on the name that he adopted it as his moniker and began writing and signing PHASE 2.

Phase-2-Graffiti-1-image-via-wikiart.org_.jpg

Phase 2 – Graffiti #1, image via wikiart.org

PHASE 2 Successfully References and Understands the Streets
Born in the Bronx, the third most densely populated county in the US, this artist is also known as Lonny Wood. He attended DeWitt Clinton High School, some sort of a greenhouse for early graffiti artists. Across from the school was a donut shop named Coffee Shop, where notorious street artists would meet and hang out in the early 1970s. It was also a meeting point for their excursions to the subway station at 149th Street and Grand Concourse, where they would watch IRT line tagged trains passing by. That place was quite important as it became a gathering point for a significant number of artists. PHASE 2 emerged as one of the leading stylists of his time, handing out various styles to hundreds of young and aspiring writers that gathered at the famous bench at the 149th and Grand Concourse. He understood that for many disadvantaged urban teens, tagging was the only significant vehicle to represent their existence. Names of those youngsters would pop up on the most visible of places, not out of the desire to vandalize, but to please each other, with the ultimate gratification of receiving the accolades from those other artists. Speaking of the name for their artistic adventures, PHASE 2 has always preferred “style writing” to graffiti, as most people used that term to encompass the entire public form of art that was slowly emerging globally from the subways of New York City. Due to the negative connotations of the word graffiti, which originates from the Italian graffiari, meaning to scrawl or scratch, PHASE 2 would vehemently reject that term and refer to his craft as writing or style writing.

The training: a real deal on the streets
Phase-2-Graffiti-2-photo-credits-Robert-E.-Mates-and-Paul-Katz.jpg

Phase 2 – Graffiti #2, photo credits Robert E. Mates and Paul Katz

The Musician
At first, PHASE 2 seemed more interested in music, as he was an early b-boy or innovator of breaking. He saw this dance movement as something that definitely took dance beyond its norms. The artist was actually DJ – ing back when some of the biggest street names weren’t in the business yet. He never made a name for himself in the world of music, but his fame was well on the way. He was introduced to the world of graffiti by his neighbor, famous Thomas Lee aka Lee 163d (in those days, monikers always had artist’s street number to it), and that is the world where he continued to live in, immersing himself completely into the urban culture. They knew each other well, grew up together, so the decision to team up came naturally. At the time, no more than twenty people were writing, so everyone was soon paying attention to them and picking up what they were doing. PHASE 2 is considered a first-generation of writers with subway art movement roots, intertwined with the larger hip hop culture developing in the Bronx of the 70s. He designed promotional flyers and posters for artists like Kool Herc and Grand Master Flash.

At the time he began writing, there was no more than twenty people doing it
Phase-2-Graffiti-3-image-via-wikiart.org_.jpg

Phase 2 – Graffiti #3, image via wikiart.org

The Bubble Letters and Deconstructing

PHASE 2 is best known for pioneering so-called bubble lettering and its multiple variants. Also called softies, this lettering was used for the earliest subway pieces and gave material for the further development of other letter styles and what will later become wild lettering. All the styles came from Bronx – fat-caps, piecing, and the before-mentioned softies, so a lot of writers hurled themselves to the Bronx to see the major league Bronx-Manhattan trains and the writings they carried. Many modern-day graffiti artists found a base for their artistic round robin in PHASE 2’s creations.

In time, this graffiti artist’s style became more complex – leaving behind simple tagging and biting into hieroglyphically calligraphic abstraction. PHASE 2 created a method of deconstructing the letter, transforming it into hard lines, third eyes, horns, drills, spikes, Egyptian pharaohs, and dogs… Someone once said about PHASE 2 that he is the only one capable of writing his name ten times, creating 10 different pieces. Since 1972, PHASE 2 is a founding member of UGA (United Graffiti Artists), and he was also the president of the INDs crew and the Bronx chapter of the Ex-Vandals. From 1984 to 1994, he has been contributing to David Schmidlapp’s IGT TIMES, the first magazine dedicated to aerosol art. Together with David, PHASE 2 published Style: Writing from the Underground, exploring and explaining the aerosol art’s evolution and development.

In 2010, PHASE 2 painted kung fu stars from the 1970s for the Wynwood Doors. As he said, it was the way to make a symbolic homage to his fascination by the Asian action movies. The faces of Angela Mao (the first female action star in Hong Kong films), Gordon Lui, Ti Lung or Sammo Hung are made to shed some light on the viewer’s self-discovery path, inspiring him to search for his inner strength, as PHASE 2 did all of his life.

Bubble lettering was used for the earliest subway masterpieces
PHASE-2-Train-tagging-in-the-80s-Image-copyrights-%C2%A9-LECTRICS.jpg

PHASE 2 – Train tagging in the 80s, Image copyrights © LECTRICS

A True Pioneer
An unstoppable force of creation, PHASE 2 forever changed the world of graffiti and the world of art. His intuitive lettering inspired generations of the street artist who accepted his foundation and built their own styles upon it. He really is a legend and a true representative of the style writing, who began working in the streets before the concept of doing pieces was even conceived, paving the road for the ones that were yet to come.

PHASE 2

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
Well damn ...

@IllmaticDelta it's quite obvious a CARRIBBEAN dude slaughtered ya mama's nappy dugout back in the day

Cause you sure HATE West Indians breh..

It will be alright C00NFACE

self hating blacks like yourself who celebrate TRIBALISIM amongst our race...

Always DIE AN EARLY DEATH

:mjpls:

It was nice knowing you :umad:

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Well damn ...

@IllmaticDelta it's quite obvious a CARRIBBEAN dude slaughtered ya mama's nappy dugout back in the day

Cause your sure HATE West Indians breh..

tumblr_otklcpNxcV1vkqy7xo2_400.gif

It will be alright C00NFACE

self hating blacks like yourself who celebrate TRIBALISIM amongst our race...

Always DIE AN EARLY DEATH

:mjpls:

where were these cries about tribalism/'we are all the same" when you were making posts like the ones below before I came in a schooled you?

bugs please take your medication... :shaq2:

"thier would be no HIP HOP without JAMAICAN MUSIC CULTURE!"

Jamaican Deejays would Toast (rap) on the mic while the selector (turntabilist) would spin a dub riddem (instrumental track) matter of fact Kool Herc had a crew of mic men (m.c's) whom were referred to themselves as TOASTERS......which was basically the root of the chants and poetic slogans i.e (say hoe....everybody scream!) that would lead to modern day rapping in the MC style...

Rub-a-Dub_Style-front-cover.jpg

and keep in mind...all this was taking place in Jamaica , 20 years prior to what Rudy Ray Moore was doing in those blackexploitation flicks and stageshows.....men like Count Matchuki , Lord Comic, Dennis Alcapone, U Roy, Jah Stitch aka Uglyman were toasting or as the yankees say RAPPING along to vinyl being spun..that my friend is the DIRECT LINK and BIRTH OF HIP HOP.

Fact: the first rappers wasnt from da Bronx... they was Pimps down south

It was nice knowing you :umad:

cry me a river from the ether you've been getting since I arrived on the scene:mjgrin:

tenor.gif