The looming software kill-switch lurking in aging PlayStation hardware

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The looming software kill-switch lurking in aging PlayStation hardware

Unless something changes, an issue lurking in older PlayStations' internal timing systems threatens to eventually make every PS4 game and all downloaded PS3 games unplayable on current hardware. Right now, it's not a matter of if but when this problem will occur.
Sony could render the problem moot relatively easily with a firmware update that limits the system functions tied to this timing check. Thus far, though, Sony hasn't publicly indicated it has any such plans and hasn't responded to multiple requests for comment from Ars Technica. Until it does, complicated workarounds that make use of jailbroken firmware are the only option for ensuring that aging PlayStation hardware will remain fully usable well into the future.

I know Sony stans gone deflect, attack and defend Sony but this is a big deal. Hopefully they take the preservation of software seriously going forward and they fix this issue. It will probably only happen if people make noise about it though.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
None of this is a huge problem for most PlayStation owners right now. Yes, the 10- to 20-year lifespan on your average CMOS battery is slowly running out, especially for the earliest PS3 hardware. But replacing the battery and resyncing the internal timer with PSN is a relatively minor annoyance for the time being (assuming you can find a Wi-Fi hotspot and PSN isn't suffering one of its rare outages).
1-star

Looming neg

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
1-star

Looming neg
Like I said y’all would deflect, but there’s plenty of PS3s that have already died. PS4 is not too far behind.

PS3 store was just closed so all those consoles are pretty much worthless right now.

You playing chicken with Sony for whenever they are gonna shut down servers vs when your hardware dies.

Instead of diminishing the issue your time would be better spent challenging Sony to fix this. But I know, you gotta stan so.....here we are :francis:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Like I said y’all would deflect, but there’s plenty of PS3s that have already died. PS4 is not too far behind.

PS3 store was just closed so all those consoles are pretty much worthless right now.

You playing chicken with Sony for whenever they are gonna shut down servers vs when your hardware dies.

Instead of diminishing the issue your time would be better spent challenging Sony to fix this. But I know, you gotta stan so.....here we are :francis:
Deflect this neg

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
nintendo killed all the wii / dsi digital content when those stores went offline.

those are games only accessible through piracy now that the service has ended.

I imagine since the Wii-U / 3DS run is over as well, the same fate will be for those platforms.

:francis:

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
tenor.gif

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Now we're getting concern troll articles about potential failing of cmos batteries sometime in the far future? The enthusiast press is really trying to build a narrative with all this shyt.