Essential The Locker Room's Random Thoughts

M'gann

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My Mac is randomly playing music and siri randomly starts speaking to me. I'm a bit creeped out by this:skip:.

Have you experienced anything like this @Coco?

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Trying to be healthier at 40 than I am now at 36 :whew:

t9GG7YSl.jpg
Qgws8uu.jpg

Mojo Jojo Morpheus

Dap Distributor
Daps
Reppin
Where it's hotter & wetter
Music is music so if it sounds good I'll listen. With K-pop, in particular, it became more of a hobby at one point of time because of how it was marketed. I'm not going to go into detail but it's like sports or the pop fan wars in western countries. You want the group you like to do their best and be acknowledged. Now I only casually listen to it as my favorite group has disbanded so I have no ties to the hobby.

Watching the mv you posted, I can understand the aesthetic appeal:
the videography was beautifully executed and it has the high production values which are now a standard in the West.
There was plenty of imagery that could be laden with meaning or be simple visual props to fill the space.
Anyway, it looked good.
Even the wardrobe of the male performers was reminiscent of Hip-Hop style which should make it readily digestible for Western viewers.
:ehh:

But music is more than the visuals.
In fact, the visual tends to be so far outside the point of the medium, as to be akin to the illustration on the cover of a book, a useful accessory but entirely superfluous.
Now I can agree, that good instrumentals are good instrumentals.
The majority of songs that I listen to that are in a language I don't understand have melodies which I appreciate beyond the lyrics.
And that's exactly where y'all lose me.
Because if I were to listen to that song you posted sans the video, there'd be nothing about the instrumental that makes me go :ahh: yes this is music.
The way I, and most people, understand and support music is as a highly subjective medium for emotional expression.
For example, there are songs that are meaningless to some people because they can't relate but are practically divine to others because they describe their life.
Personally, there are songs that I used to think were trash before I went through certain experiences and gained a new appreciation for them.
If you don't speak/understand Korean how can you possibly make that kind of emotional connection with K-pop music?? :mindblown:
I mean, I kinda get the rooting for a band to succeed like a sports team but even that's a bit murky to me.
How do you tabulate something as nebulous and ever-changing as the success/popularity of a musical act? :dahell:
There aren't any scorecards or end of season tourneys to determine the "best" artist, are there? :heh:

EARFQUAKE

🥰
Supporter
Daps
Watching the mv you posted, I can understand the aesthetic appeal:
the videography was beautifully executed and it has the high production values which are now a standard in the West.
There was plenty of imagery that could be laden with meaning or be simple visual props to fill the space.
Anyway, it looked good.
Even the wardrobe of the male performers was reminiscent of Hip-Hop style which should make it readily digestible for Western viewers.
:ehh:

But music is more than the visuals.
In fact, the visual tends to be so far outside the point of the medium, as to be akin to the illustration on the cover of a book, a useful accessory but entirely superfluous.
Now I can agree, that good instrumentals are good instrumentals.
The majority of songs that I listen to that are in a language I don't understand have melodies which I appreciate beyond the lyrics.
And that's exactly where y'all lose me.
Because if I were to listen to that song you posted sans the video, there'd be nothing about the instrumental that makes me go :ahh: yes this is music.
The way I, and most people, understand and support music is as a highly subjective medium for emotional expression.
For example, there are songs that are meaningless to some people because they can't relate but are practically divine to others because they describe their life.
Personally, there are songs that I used to think were trash before I went through certain experiences and gained a new appreciation for them.
If you don't speak/understand Korean how can you possibly make that kind of emotional connection with K-pop music?? :mindblown:
I mean, I kinda get the rooting for a band to succeed like a sports team but even that's a bit murky to me.
How do you tabulate something as nebulous and ever-changing as the success/popularity of a musical act? :dahell:
There aren't any scorecards or end of season tourneys to determine the "best" artist, are there? :heh:

:picard:

Mojo Jojo Morpheus

Dap Distributor
Daps
Reppin
Where it's hotter & wetter
forreal, hypocritical two faced binch
:whoa:
I'm not saying all that.
But the way I operate:
If I say something, I said it because I felt it/meant it.
And I assume that's true of everyone else.
So have the courage of your convictions to stand behind your words or don't say shyt at all. :demonic: