The link between depression and fitness

Mentally I:

• Feel better when in shape

• Feel worse out of shape

• I'm jacked and depressed

• I'm always depressed. Makes no difference either way.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
These a myraid of scientific literature in this already. Exercising floods our bodies with dopamine and serotonin. These chemicals enforces feelings of pleasure wanting to experience the feeling again.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
It's been scientifically proven exercise improves mental health on a physiological, not only psychological level. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the rates of depression in the west is directly cause by our lack of mobility and activity commuting, sitting at cube, sitting on a couch, etc.

Human beings are animals and our daily sedentary and low activity lifestyle is only recent in our history. I would argue this new way of life isn't even 100+ years old even if things like cars have been around longer. We didn't have the urban sprawl combined with the high usage of cars and sitting in a cube in an office until the 50s really.

This is a very abnormal and unnatural way of life.

Link discussing on a physiological level what execise does for the body. A lot of people need activity and exercise instead of prescriptions.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
When I was heavy into fitness it was the happiest time of my life, but now I am too poor to workout.

Babymama Magnet

All Star
Daps
What if depression is linked to going outside or being around people?

Say a person has a facial disfigurement and is depressed, you can't tell them to go hit gym because part of their depression will be linked to the social interactions of being around others whilst being at the gym

I do agree that fitness can and does improve mental health such as depression and maybe anxiety but it's not no cure

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
i ride at least 20 miles a day and go to the gym 3 times a week. (to be fair only been lifting like 6 weeks) and i still have days where im down :manny:

How would you rate your flexibility? Being a rider you highlight something which is quite central to my hypothesis because I'd be willing to bet your hip flexibility isn't the best.

Try this pose please and tell me how it feels/how closely you match the form:

Ultimate-Guide-to-Frog-Pose-%E2%80%94-Mandukasana.jpg

yea but it's a chicken/egg thing

like people who are depressed are less likely to be physically active, but that doesn't mean exercise 'cures' depression; if that were the case, there'd be no depressed athletes, but plenty of NBA players etc have come out to talk about their struggles with depression.

Yeah, its quite common in that field but then the entire reason for the drive for success in that realm often hints to a damaged inner landscape that craves external validation. Thats the real chicken and egg but the scope of this is just for regular people.

concise

Veteran
Daps
yea but it's a chicken/egg thing

like people who are depressed are less likely to be physically active, but that doesn't mean exercise 'cures' depression; if that were the case, there'd be no depressed athletes, but plenty of NBA players etc have come out to talk about their struggles with depression.

True, but would those athletes depression be as bad if their fitness wasn't literally tied to their earnings and competition? Constantly looking over their shoulder for someone new trying to take their spot? :jbhmm:

WaveMolecules

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens
How would you rate your flexibility? Being a rider you highlight something which is quite central to my hypothesis because I'd be willing to bet your hip flexibility isn't the best.

Try this pose please and tell me how it feels/how closely you match the form:

Ultimate-Guide-to-Frog-Pose-%E2%80%94-Mandukasana.jpg

Yeah, its quite common in that field but then the entire reason for the drive for success in that realm often hints to a damaged inner landscape that craves external validation. Thats the real chicken and egg but the scope of this is just for regular people.
I have great flexibility. Before COVID I went to hot yoga at least once a week. Haven’t been to a yoga class since but I’m still very flexible. I stretch a lot.

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
Tis' true. Been working out for nearly 20 years, before that I battled depression.

I have really bad body dysmorphia from being made fun of a lot as a kid for being underweight

I miss 2 days in a row at the gym I start talking to myself like Smeagel and Gollum.

smeagollum_400x400.jpg

“You missed the gym? You look skinny and frail like a bytch!”

images

“I hit all my macros tho…I’m not listening!”
🤣😂 this sounds like me. My girl be saying I'm fine as shyt and in shape but when I look at my self in the mirror I feel like I look frail and skinny. I don't even take pictures or look at mirrors. I just thank ppl that compliment me.

Last edited:

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Exercise is definitely recommended for depression.

It’s not a guarantee or cure-all, but it’s generally known to help your mental health.

I’ve had this discussion with therapists and they’ve said they always recommend exercise, talk therapy, and (if necessary) medication.