The link between depression and fitness

Mentally I:

• Feel better when in shape

• Feel worse out of shape

• I'm jacked and depressed

• I'm always depressed. Makes no difference either way.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
You ever noticed you don't see jacked Goths? Or Emos with an insane vertical?
Do Goths and Emos even exist any more or are they called something else now? :flabbynsick:

Been working on a little something something in regards to alleviating low mood naturally from its root and I'm wondering what the link is between being physically fit/active and depression, in your experience? You can interpret depression however you wish and the same goes with fitness, get my drift?

Especially interested in those of you that trained for long periods of time and then took an extended break. Did you notice any shifts in your mental health during the off season? Better or worse? Also those who went from weights to cardio or any other kind of shift in modality/sport. Did you notice any psychological changes (for better or worse)? Temperament as well as mood along with things like drive, motivation and distractability or whatever comes to mind. Self image is worth considering as well.

Poll is anonymous so please be real. Speak on it.

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The better you look, the better you feel and when people see that confidence, the attention is real.

Of course your health should be the main reason you stay fit though. Mental and physical. I went from being a heavy weight lifter benching reps with 315 lbs, to only running and calisthenic/body weight exercises and I’ve never felt better. Pretty sure I can still do bench reps with 315 lbs though. I feel and look leaner. Clothes fit better too.

badboys11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
M
There's no need for a survey this is a scientific fact. If you keep your body in good shape like it was designed to be used for, and feed yourself the proper nutrition, you will be the best you that you can possibly be.

Dre God

Immortals never hurry
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
[9³]
I have really bad body dysmorphia from being made fun of a lot as a kid for being underweight

I miss 2 days in a row at the gym I start talking to myself like Smeagel and Gollum.

smeagollum_400x400.jpg

“You missed the gym? You look skinny and frail like a bytch!”

images

“I hit all my macros tho…I’m not listening!”

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
There's no need for a survey this is a scientific fact. If you keep your body in good shape like it was designed to be used for, and feed yourself the proper nutrition, you will be the best you that you can possibly be.
yea but it's a chicken/egg thing

like people who are depressed are less likely to be physically active, but that doesn't mean exercise 'cures' depression; if that were the case, there'd be no depressed athletes, but plenty of NBA players etc have come out to talk about their struggles with depression.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Imagine if you are depressed, get in shape and still can't get your dikk wet? Automatic suicide right there.

Reflected

Living in fear in the year of the tiger.
Daps
There was a year of time that I couldn't work out, no cardio, no weightlifting, and I was basically bedridden for a decent chunk of that year, sad shyt. I never realized how much of a cheat code fitness was until that year. All of sudden I would have days where I could sit and do nothing but feel like offing myself, and I didn't even really have a reason to off myself. It was like a dark cloud above me that I was seemingly aware of but I couldn't do anything to get rid of it. Media consumption brought a temporary happy, food brought a temporary happy... None of that stuff would last and I would go back to being "sad" for the entire day.

Wasn't until I could move get back into fitness that I was able to remove that cloud. So I couldn't imagine, living like that while also harboring any significant past traumas, I'm honestly amazed people even get by like that. But for people that don't have any significant mental makeup to cause depression, aka people that don't require medication, I will always bring this up as a means of providing a possible outlet to suppress those feelings because it has been too much of a cheat code for me not to mention it when I get the chance.

Exercising starts a biological cascade of events that results in many health benefits, such as protecting against heart disease and diabetes, improving sleep, and lowering blood pressure. High-intensity exercise releases the body's feel-good chemicals called endorphins, resulting in the "runner's high" that joggers report. But for most of us, the real value is in low-intensity exercise sustained over time. That kind of activity spurs the release of proteins called neurotrophic or growth factors, which cause nerve cells to grow and make new connections. The improvement in brain function makes you feel better. "In people who are depressed, neuroscientists have noticed that the hippocampus in the brain—the region that helps regulate mood—is smaller. Exercise supports nerve cell growth in the hippocampus, improving nerve cell connections, which helps relieve depression," explains Dr. Miller.

That's another thing I forgot, my sleep was heavily fukked with too because I didn't have the activity level that would keep my sleep limited to a reasonable slot. So that plus sitting in front of blue light all day most likely compounded with the sadness.

Good link:

badboys11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
M
yea but it's a chicken/egg thing

like people who are depressed are less likely to be physically active, but that doesn't mean exercise 'cures' depression; if that were the case, there'd be no depressed athletes, but plenty of NBA players etc have come out to talk about their struggles with depression.
Some people just ain't right in the head, and there's nothing that can be done about that. Like Delonte West.

Even still, think about where some of these professional athletes who have struggled with depression would be at in life if they didn't focus on exercising and staying in shape. Competing. They could be in a much worser place.

I've seen it. Exercising can be a hobby, and hobbies are one of the main suggestions of what one should do If you are struggling with depression. Not to mention the mental benefits of eating properly.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
; if that were the case, there'd be no depressed athletes,
Exactly. There's athletes who have depression, and mad social anxiety not just run of the mill everyday people but superstar world class athletes.

Mike Nasty

Superstar
Daps
I feel better in shape. I enjoy going to the gym being around in shape people and being one of them.