The Last of Us Part I 9/2/22 PS5, 3/28/23 PC

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Someone got the game early, answering questions

Gameplay is identical to the remaster. However, it FEELS better due to the amount of overhaul that went in. The buddy and AI system is similar but marginally better than Part II. Exploration does feel lacking when compared to Part II.

UI looks like Part II! I highly recommend going through all setting cuz you'll find a ton of improvements that make the game very different. For example, the bow and weapon reticles have many different settings. The bow has three different settings, including a rangefinder option (my favorite). The rangefinder upgrade in part II is not present in part I so I highly recommend putting this on, as the bow feels janky if not.

Yes! All gore and enemy interactions are just like Part II. Down to every detail.

This is without a doubt the best looking PS5 game to date.

Yes he has all new animations. Nothing he does is exactly like the remaster. He even as a limp when standing up from crouch which is awesome.

It does on certain guns. Bow, revolver and rifle feel amazing on haptic. The general haptics in the game also feel great but not too overwhelming

VRR if your tv supports. HDR, 60 and 30FPS targets. High fidelity and unlocked frame rate options

Do enemies scream out names like in Part 2

Yes

It looks better than part II. Period. Some areas it's marginal, other areas it's significant.

Gameplay is significantly more smooth than the original remaster. Game mechanics are identical tho. Joel behaves exactly like he did in the first game, in terms of gameplay.

Yes! Stunning enemies by shooting their legs is now in part I!

Yes, he will

And yes the clickers behave exactly like they do in part II

ill_will82

What you see, is what you get
Daps
One of the grossest money grabs in recent memory. There is no need to remake this fukking game.
None. This is the problem I had with Sony last gen just making remasters to get more $$$ off a game that's almost 10 yrs old. Starting next year I'm a stop buying a lot of games (digital & physical) b/c it's either a remaster or a bunch of games being delayed.

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
I can't support this. The original is still great for what it is. Total cash grab. A remake should be at least 3 gens apart.

Great for newcomers and pc players.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Enhancing the combat and audio​

Speaking of combat, the original game’s combat always emphasized that no two playthroughs should be the same. The Last of Us Part I pushes that principle even further thanks to PS5’s hardware.

“A lot of the changes in the combat system could broadly be described as taking something that we had to hack together [in the original],” states Lead Programmer John Bellomy. “There are sequences in the original game that are pre-scripted, that just play out in a very particular way.” Bellomy examples enemy search and flanking behavior: PS3 hardware limitations meant those behaviors couldn’t analyze the environment and adapt accordingly.

“Coming into The Last of Us Part I,” Bellomy continues, “we took those combat encounters and applied our AI engine and tool suite to do them ‘for real.’ We have more dynamic encounters thanks to paired search and new investigation behaviors, topographical analysis with pathfinding, and probing for visibility, so things like sneaking and ambushing will work in more situations. These ultimately make the game more interesting for players. It doesn’t play out at the same time, every time. You can put yourself into new and exciting situations that maybe even we at Naughty Dog can’t account for.”

Another limitation surpassed using the new hardware is the number of active enemy AI present in a given situation. Lead designer Christian Wohlwend explains that one of the most significant limitations of the PS3 original was the eight NPC limit. To get around this back then, Naughty Dog had to flip the attention of these NPCs on and off. However, this limit is no longer a concern, as the PS5 allows up to 128 active NPCs—though you need not worry about fighting so many infected or scavengers at once in the remake.

Aside from employing more advanced tech under the hood, The Last of Us Part I is advancing combat in other meaningful ways. “The way that our melee system has evolved is monumental,” Wohlwend said. “So we were able to use all those new development tools from the Last of Us Part II in this remake. It makes it much more flexible, easier to improve and prevent bugs, and elevates everything there.”

More realistic and faithful animation​

The Last of Us Part I’s redone animation is the final piece that completes the puzzle, adding subtle but beneficial additions to enhance storytelling.

Escayg cites the example of tear ducts welling up when Ellie and Joel argue about him abandoning her at Tommy’s, or skin flushing during emotional scenes.

“All these animation improvements make the scene stronger,” said Art Director Erick Pangilinan. “Because you are increasing the fidelity of the expression. You’re making more subtle gestures that feel more natural.”

And the animation improvements aren’t restricted to characters. The world sports a greater degree of visual fidelity and detail due to new lighting and animation technology.

“Part of the original creative vision for the first game was not having a very visually dark, dystopian, apocalyptic overall image but emphasizing the beauty of nature reclaiming its territory back,” outlines Art Director Sebastian Gromann. “While the foliage was very limited on PS3, with the power of the PS5, we’re able to have very complex shaders, more complex models, and more fidelity and volume in the foliage to have that feeling of nature reclaiming the city.”

“We’ve got huge improvements there that enabled us to put more polygons in our characters and the environments as well,” Pangilinan adds. “We were able to create more depth because we can put more detail in the more distant environments like the mountains and buildings in addition to the stuff in front of us. That wasn’t possible with the GPU of the PS3.”