The great SOYLENT WHITE experiment (January 2014)

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I can't figure out the struggle to hit 2900 I do 2000ish with little to no "starch" carbs

Well, 2900 is nearly 50% more than 2000, not an insignificant number by any means. I had no trouble at all when I was doing 2000 either. On an unlimited budget it wouldn't be hard either, but I have very specific goals for "price per serving" so that hurts me too.

It's not just about the act of eating the food either, I really get tired of preparing food. Even cooked a few days in advance, that means one of those days I'm sitting over a stove for an hour or two whipping up big batches of rice and chicken and veggies and beef and whatever else I'm going to eat.

Stuff like peanut butter sandwiches which are quick and easy and high calorie just fill me up too much and that is where the "eating is a chore" part becomes a reality

I don't get the point. It's like a romanticized Slim Fast.

Slim Fast is absolutely nothing like Soylent at all and their goals are completely different. Slim Fast is a low calorie, nutritionally poor meal alternative for people trying to keep their weight down. Soylent is a high calorie, nutritionally complete drink designed so it can be a 100% substitute for solid food that provides the body with every macro and micro nutrient that modern nutrition science says we need.

You are thinking of it wrong...don't think of it as a "weight loss shake," think of it as pet food for humans. A liquid version of this Futurama joke:

bachelor_chow.jpg

RNKWmMy.png

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Well, 2900 is nearly 50% more than 2000, not an insignificant number by any means. I had no trouble at all when I was doing 2000 either. On an unlimited budget it wouldn't be hard either, but I have very specific goals for "price per serving" so that hurts me too.

It's not just about the act of eating the food either, I really get tired of preparing food. Even cooked a few days in advance, that means one of those days I'm sitting over a stove for an hour or two whipping up big batches of rice and chicken and veggies and beef and whatever else I'm going to eat.

Stuff like peanut butter sandwiches which are quick and easy and high calorie just fill me up too much and that is where the "eating is a chore" part becomes a reality

Slim Fast is absolutely nothing like Soylent at all and their goals are completely different. Slim Fast is a low calorie, nutritionally poor meal alternative for people trying to keep their weight down. Soylent is a high calorie, nutritionally complete drink designed so it can be a 100% substitute for solid food that provides the body with every macro and micro nutrient that modern nutrition science says we need.

You are thinking of it wrong...don't think of it as a "weight loss shake," think of it as pet food for humans. A liquid version of this Futurama joke:

bachelor_chow.jpg

RNKWmMy.png
:ehh:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
A day's worth of Soylent costs $9 and it provides 2400 calories.
You realize this diet doesn't contain fiber? The "creator" even admitted he's working on a solution. If you drink only this everyday, you're going to have issues with your dietary tract. First problem will be constipation.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
You realize this diet doesn't contain fiber? The "creator" even admitted he's working on a solution. If you drink only this everyday, you're going to have issues with your dietary tract. First problem will be constipation.

As stated in this thread already, there is 40g of fiber in the current working formulation. That's probably 3X as much fiber as the average person gets in a day and well above the daily recommended amount.

Your hypothetical dietary tract scenario also doesn't make much sense when you consider that the only gastro problems that people who have used this have reported is a bit of excessive gas (almost undoubtedly due to TOO MUCH fiber compared to what their body is used to).

Furthermore, even if there wasn't actually fiber in it (which there is), it isn't hard to down a 1/3rd cup of All Bran which contains 3g soluble fiber and 9g insoluble fiber which is probably what the average fast carb eating American gets in a day anyway

A lot of criticisms that you can find online are based on early formulations. This recipe has been getting tweaked for the better part of a year through the input of dieticians, nutritionists, doctors, and other interested parties.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
So what IS the latest formulation?

I don't get the point. It's like a romanticized Slim Fast.

Looks to be your standard meal replacement shake with a multivitamin crushed in. :yeshrug:

May be useful during bulks for ppl struggling to get in cals. I see it benefiting shelters and whatnot. Don't they have something similar to this in the army?

I know for a fact I'd have satiety issues with this. Liquid diets :wow: I need volume.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
So what IS the latest formulation?
Looks to be your standard meal replacement shake with a multivitamin crushed in. :yeshrug:

May be useful during bulks for ppl struggling to get in cals. I see it benefiting shelters and whatnot. Don't they have something similar to this in the army?

I know for a fact I'd have satiety issues with this. Liquid diets :wow: I need volume.

The final formulation should be published soon I hope, will be interesting to see.

In regards to the "meal replacement shake with a multivitamin" comment, it is in the ballpark except for the fact that drinks like Ensure are sugar bombs. Approximately 200g of sugar per 2200 calories.

The carb sources will be the make or break factor for whether or not this Soylent experiment is a 1 time thing for me.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
As stated in this thread already, there is 40g of fiber in the current working formulation. That's probably 3X as much fiber as the average person gets in a day and well above the daily recommended amount.

Your hypothetical dietary tract scenario also doesn't make much sense when you consider that the only gastro problems that people who have used this have reported is a bit of excessive gas (almost undoubtedly due to TOO MUCH fiber compared to what their body is used to).

Furthermore, even if there wasn't actually fiber in it (which there is), it isn't hard to down a 1/3rd cup of All Bran which contains 3g soluble fiber and 9g insoluble fiber which is probably what the average fast carb eating American gets in a day anyway.
Ok. It's your azz. :lolbron: Go for it.