the first time I really cared about a rap song... "Over" by Drake had just come out.

LandryFieldsDad

All Star
Daps
Music was just background noise to me until I heard
Krs sound of the police

That made me get into music..went home and got my
Columbia house on..

I wonder if I was born in 1999-2000 would I like these current rappers?

NelsonSwagdela

All Star
Daps
Is this a thread where we point out that are music taste is superior ? who cares. When we were growing up on tupac and all that other shyt people were shaking their heads at us because we were apparently missing out on the good music.

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
Is this a thread where we point out that are music taste is superior ? who cares. When we were growing up on tupac and all that other shyt people were shaking their heads at us because we were apparently missing out on the good music.

well the Over thing is just what caught my attention

the main thing that annoyed the NPR listeners was that he was given this PE album, said he listened to it over weeks and wrote something vacuous about his feelings towards it.. it's not a good critique for an NPR music intern

As someone who was not accepted to be a NPR music intern this makes me wanna set the world on fire.

i registered with NPR just so i could tell you i stopped reading your article after you said the first time you ever cared about rap music was when you heard a drake song.

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
questlove added a comment

Austin. I'm sure this entire response thread is brow beating you to no end. so I'm taking a different approach. i too had a hard time swallowing records that were deemed "classic" just because some adult told me so. i find its best to take in music when you have the proper context. i too found Epitaph, On The Corner, Blood On The Tracks, Exile On Main Street, & Horses "boring" and "not as good as.....(name something that was banging when i was a kid)---but hopefully you will realize it is your duty to discover the beauty of acclaimed art and why it was so. take Springsteen's "Nebraska" for instance an acclaimed record that was hard for an inner city hip hop fan to swallow without a backstory. so i spent an entire weekend reading every story about this album so that i could have a better grasp on what the times were like and that helped me understand (and eventually agree) why this is Springsteen's magnum opus. i mean no one here is expecting you to be the next Lester Bangs or Rob Christgau but i do expect this generation (born some 20 years after me) with its advantages in technology to put real effort into the information it processes. there is no question Nation is one of THE greatest recordings ever. ur job is to find out why