the first time I really cared about a rap song... "Over" by Drake had just come out.

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
:beli:

You've Never Heard Public Enemy's 'It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back'?! : All Songs Considered Blog : NPR

There are a slew of classic rap records I've heard of but never actually heard — like Eric B. and Rakim's Paid In Full, De La Soul's 3 Feet High and Rising and, yes, my no-longer-nameless childhood favorite, Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back.

There's at least one good reason I've never listened to any of those albums: The most recent of the bunch came out 3 years before I was even born! But this was the perfect opportunity to fix that, so — after polling my co-workers to determine the "most classic" of the three — I hunkered down at my laptop, pulled It Takes a Nation up on Spotify and put on my headphones.

Although my experience with hip-hop is definitely limited in scope, I'd still call myself a fan. I remember the first time I really cared about a rap song. It was the spring of 2010 and "Over" by Drake had just come out.

I couldn't imagine my senior year (yes, of high school) without that track. I still think it's incredible. His hook over that yappy guitar, the service-academy beat that drops shortly afterwards, the bells on the top-end — it's all so viscerally pleasing.

Daps
Reppin
RENO, Nevada
ROFL @ EM "REcovery" comin out a week after TML dropped and stole his buzz

this verse

made EVERYONE forget that was a drake song

ROFL @ the top comment ---- "drake your track is officially OVER..:obama:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfsNck750gs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfsNck750gs[/ame]

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
:wtf: it pains me to know people like that exist.

it is a shame breh. Even if we take the fact that he didn't listen to hip hop until 12th grade.. when I was in 12 grade Tupac cast a huge shadow over us even years after his death. Nas was around, Em was doing his thing, Jay-Z was going through his glory years, DMX was big, Ja had the pop joints

what do these kids have? Drake? Weezy? Rick Ross? :laugh:

Mask and Da Glock

Posting From Rehab
Daps
to be fair dude is honest...there's a lot of people who front like hip-hop was in their household growing up but really they listened to fall out boy in middle school.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous

ron-swanson-computer.gif

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps
it is a shame breh. Even if we take the fact that he didn't listen to hip hop until 12th grade.. when I was in 12 grade Tupac cast a huge shadow over us even years after his death. Nas was around, Em was doing his thing, Jay-Z was going through his glory years, DMX was big, Ja had the pop joints

what do these kids have? Drake? Weezy? Rick Ross? :laugh:

i was born in 93. he has no excuse really. it's just weird that someone would prefer to listen to drake over PE.

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
to be fair dude is honest...there's a lot of people who front like hip-hop was in their household growing up but really they listened to fall out boy in middle school.

yeah.. I mean I came to hip hop late in my life too but I'm not so much criticizing this guy as sad about the options he had. Drake... 808s and heartbreak :smh: at least a few years earlier he could have gotten on the Lupe fiasco train or something

Mask and Da Glock

Posting From Rehab
Daps
nah definitely you are right but if you think about it someone is most likely going to hear crossover hip-hop like drake first, at least in 2009.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
Wouldn't imagine that dude's story is much different than a lot of outsiders (like the OP) who weren't just raised up on hip hop and became fans or even devote hobbyists later on in life...other than him arbitrarily tuning in during 2010 instead of the late 90's early 2000's...seems a bit ridiculous for another johnny come lately rap convert to take this kind of a snobbish tone...muh'fukkas get into rap when DMX was on top and then try to highside like they're KRS or some shyt?

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
This fakkit Rolf guy came in here to name drop Eminem :snoop:

Back on topic.

Yeah u can't save these kids, that article was painful to read.

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
Wouldn't imagine that dude's story is much different than a lot of outsiders (like the OP) who weren't just raised up on hip hop and became fans or even devote hobbyists later on in life...other than him arbitrarily tuning in during 2010 instead of the late 90's early 2000's...seems a bit ridiculous for another johnny come lately rap convert to take this kind of a snobbish tone...muh'fukkas get into rap when DMX was on top and then try to highside like they're KRS or some shyt?

He's 21 breh. I was like 13 or 14. I had Tupac. He has... Over :snoop: