The film room’s official where did it go wrong series. #2 Batman v Superman: dawn of justice

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Pacing and editing. You can watch the extended version and just start trimming from there. Keep the journalism that Lois and Clark were doing and trim everything that was leading to the expansion. Literally the scenes left on the cutting room floor could've replaced scenes in the theatrical version. The Ultimate Edition is better because it paces a lot better despite the dumb plotline.

If I'm going from when Man of Steel released in 2013 and Wonder Woman in 2017, we should've had another Man of Steel and a solo Batman movie in-between those films. And next year we should've had a BvS or JL movie.

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
Shoulda been (spit balling here) mos, batman going parrelel to that( end credit scene shoulda been the first scene in bvss) then wonder women (maybe showing aquaman in post credits) maybe a flash movie then JL imo with cyborg being the man in that that makes ot all come together...that how i woulda built, but hindsight is 20/20

YakSpiller

Superstar
Daps
Part 3 should be Iron Man 2...

The only good parts of BvS was Ben Aflecks washed Batman in the first half of the movie...Then its all down hill from there.

Superman :stopitslime:
Lex Luthor:hhh:
Wonder Woman:dwillhuh:
Doomsday :gucci:

The Martha shyt:comeon:

All around bad execution. How the they blew this movie I'll never understand:mindblown:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Jesse Eisenberg as Luthor.

You can harp on other things like the horrendous dialogue, etc. But you just can't take this movie seriously with such a poor casting choice.

It is the equivalent of having Seth Rogan play Thanos in Infinity War.
And MARVEL still woulda found a way to make that shyt work.

:NOREmarvelhat:

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
Comicbook universes are an amalgamation. That's a problem in of itself.

The thing about comicbook characters is that, when an individual character/property reaches a certain level of popularity, they start to gain their own orbit. Meaning, they become bigger than the company they come from:

Superman is bigger than DC comics.
Batman is bigger than DC comics.
Wonder woman is bigger than DC comics.

These are A-List characters on their own. Bigger than some whole movie franchises.

when that happens you have a situation where a character's fanbase stretches across different media and promotional formats. Comics, radio shows, movies, TV shows, toys, lunchoboxes, bed and bath gear, school paraphernalia.

Which means that you have genuine fans of a character, that grew up with that single character, without indulging it's parent medium(comics) or caring about the rules of the canon said character is lifted from. So you'll have fans with a perception of what the character should be, that doesn't necessarily mesh with the rest of the universe the character comes from.

You can be a huge superman or batman fan without having read a single comic book in your life. You can't say the same for say, Amadeus cho, or Eden fesi.

In other words, for a movie director to be a fan of fukkin Eden fesi, he has to have been that much into comics, to where he would have enough reverence for it as a medium to execute a movie adaptation respectfully. Whereas someone can fukk w/ superman and still think comic fans are geeks, or children, so if they have an idea for a superman movie, they'll either dismiss the rules of the genre flatout, or they'll execute it reluctantly in a :troll: sort of way.

In a one-off flick that can work artistically. But if you're translating a whole canon with multiple IPs from one storytelling medium to another, that level of irreverence will lead to disaster.

and that's what happend w/ Snyder and the DC Movieverse.

in order for a shared universe to work, you've gotta pre-establish some rules to keep wild ideas in check.

Marvel got lucky because the characters that were bigger than Marvel were sold to Sony, Fox, etc.. As much as we wanted those characters back, their absence was a blessing in disguise. Outside of that, they realise how easy it is for continuity to crash, so they're treading carefully tone and narrative wise, making each film a contained story, and painting by numbers.

DC had 3 characters with their own orbit, and they didn't realise the potential disaster from that cause it was WB steering the ship. They're heading toward a crisis on infinite earths scenario in fukkin movies, and their first run at a shared universe hasn't even taken off yet...

snikt6384

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Snyder would be the reason. That would be my answer for MoS as well if it comes up. The man can put together a good fight for sure. But hes pretty atrocious at everything between the punches.

And i'm pretty sure he hates Superman.

Fletch

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dallas
Having Batman just go on a vengeance mission didn’t make sense to me, Batman is firstmost a detective I feel like he should have followed Supes a bit, seen if he was a threat then realize he’s not. Then Luthor gets doomsday going, though I would have preferred Cadmus, then Batman investigate that realize what’s going on reveal himself to Supes they team up to take on Luthor and his plans