The film room’s inaugural “where did it go wrong” series: Alien 3

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Time to start a regularly occurring thread to discuss films that were supposed to be big hits and lost a lot of money, tried to do too many things and while they did well they didn’t feel that satisfying creatively, or were just an all around mess. Let’s start with Alien 3, the big follow up to Aliens. Where did it go wrong, and how could it have been better. Will try to make these threads weekly and suggestions are always welcome.

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
The movie is so damn dark and depressing for the sake of being just that, characters you get behind are killed off way too fast and as is the case with most movies it couldn't escape studio meddling.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Alien 3 has been discussed pretty heavy in various threads over the years.

Basically there are people who didn't like the movie or just hate the movie period.

And then theres the people who like the directors cut or are David Fincher sympathizers.

For me,

It just fell flat in every aspect. Bad premise, killed off Hicks and Newt, all the prisoners looked the same besides Dutton, so you dont know whos who and you dont care. you really dont know whats happening in some scenes, guys running around through tunnels and corridors screaming. the cgi was pretty bad too when it was used.

I really just don't have any use for this movie.

And the studio fukked it up too.

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
They fukked up when they wanted it to take place on a wooden planet

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
Haven't watched Alien 3,

but this thread reminded me of a Joss Whedon article I read about 10 years ago.

And when I checked he was actually talking about Alien: Resurrection(which he wrote, and not Alien 3), but I still think this little excerpt is relevant to where the thread is going, so I'll drop it here:

( https://www.avclub.com/joss-whedon-1798208181 )

O: How much of your writing made it into the final versions of Twister and Speed?

JW: Most of the dialogue in Speed is mine, and a bunch of the characters. That was actually pretty much a good experience. I have quibbles. I also have the only poster left with my name still on it. Getting arbitrated off the credits was un-fun. But Speed has a bunch. And Twister, less. In Twister, there are things that worked and things that weren't the way I'd intended them. Whereas Speed came out closer to what I'd been trying to do. I think of Speed as one of the few movies I've made that I actually like.

O: What about Waterworld?

JW: [Laughs.] Waterworld. I refer to myself as the world's highest-paid stenographer. This is a situation I've been in a bunch of times. By the way, I'm very bitter, is that okay? I mean, people ask me, "What's the worst job you ever had?" "I once was a writer in Hollywood…" Talk about taking the glow off of movies. I've had almost nothing but bad experiences. Waterworld was a good idea, and the script was the classic, "They have a good idea, then they write a generic script and don't really care about the idea." When I was brought in, there was no water in the last 40 pages of the script. It all took place on land, or on a ship, or whatever. I'm like, "Isn't the cool thing about this guy that he has gills?" And no one was listening. I was there basically taking notes from Costner, who was very nice, fine to work with, but he was not a writer. And he had written a bunch of stuff that they wouldn't let their staff touch. So I was supposed to be there for a week, and I was there for seven weeks, and I accomplished nothing. I wrote a few puns, and a few scenes that I can't even sit through because they came out so bad. It was the same situation with X-Men. They said, "Come in and punch up the big climax, the third act, and if you can, make it cheaper." That was the mandate on both movies, and my response to both movies was, "The problem with the third act is the first two acts." But, again, no one was paying attention. X-Men was very interesting in that, by that time, I actually had a reputation in television. I was actually somebody. People stopped thinking I was John Sweden on the phone. And then, in X-Men, not only did they throw out my script and never tell me about it; they actually invited me to the read-through, having thrown out my entire draft without telling me. I was like, "Oh, that's right! This is the movies! The writer is shyt in the movies!" I'll never understand that. I have one line left in that movie. Actually, there are a couple of lines left in that are out of context and make no sense, or are delivered so badly, so terribly… There's one line that's left the way I wrote it.

O: Which is?

JW: "'It's me.' 'Prove it.' 'You're a dikk.'" Hey, it got a laugh.

O: It's funny that the only lines I really remember from that movie are that one and Storm's toad comment.

JW: Okay, which was also mine, and that's the interesting thing. Everybody remembers that as the worst line ever written, but the thing about that is, it was supposed to be delivered as completely offhand. [Adopts casual, bored tone.] "You know what happens when a toad gets hit by lightning?" Then, after he gets electrocuted, "Ahhh, pretty much the same thing that happens to anything else." But Halle Berry said it like she was Desdemona. [Strident, ringing voice.] "The same thing that happens to everything eeelse!" That's the thing that makes you go crazy. At least "You're a dikk" got delivered right. The worst thing about these things is that, when the actors say it wrong, it makes the writer look stupid. People assume that the line… I listened to half the dialogue in Alien 4, and I'm like, "That's idiotic," because of the way it was said. And nobody knows that. Nobody ever gets that. They say, "That was a stupid script," which is the worst pain in the world. I have a great long boring story about that, but I can tell you the very short version. In Alien 4, the director changed something so that it didn't make any sense. He wanted someone to go and get a gun and get killed by the alien, so I wrote that in and tried to make it work, but he directed it in a way that it made no sense whatsoever. And I was sitting there in the editing room, trying to come up with looplines to explain what's going on, to make the scene make sense, and I asked the director, "Can you just explain to me why he's doing this? Why is he going for this gun?" And the editor, who was French, turned to me and said, with a little leer on his face, [adopts gravelly, smarmy, French-accented voice] "Because eet's een the screept." And I actually went and dented the bathroom stall with my puddly little fist. I have never been angrier. But it's the classic, "When something goes wrong, you assume the writer's a dork." And that's painful.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
After the second movie nobody wanted to make a third....the writers, Sigourney Weaver, etc. were pretty much :ld: towards the franchise.

There's like 5-6 different versions of what "Alien 3" would've been....in the earliest concept, they were supposed to come to Earth:

The fact that they shot a teaser and had no idea what the movie would even be about is a huge clue about how chaotic the production of the movie was. There's even a couple scripts (or at least, ideas that were submitted) that don't have Ripley, at all. The finished movie is a hodge podge of 2-3 ideas from completely separate people and scripts.

Fred.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The wrong turn that Alien 3 took was tossing aside what made the 2nd movie a hit and going in an entirely different direction that no one who was a fan of the franchise was interested in moving toward.
Now if the movie had been about Ripley, Hicks and Newt crash landing on a prison colony with an alien on board their ship that got loose and started wrecking havoc and included more action movie stuff as opposed to the dark horror/thriller aspect that we actually got then the movie might not have gotten the lukewarm response it got.
And it sucks because looked at in a vacuum Alien 3 is a decent movie.

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
alien 3 was horrible. kill off the kid and the marine. I hope neil Blomkamp sequel gets made eventually. he was supposed to bring them back. michael Biehn is one of most underrated action stars ever

parallax

Superstar
Daps
like someone stated, they didnt know what to do with the series after aliens. instead of making weyland-yutani a more prominent feature(especially since ripley fukked their chances of havin the xenomorph twice) they dropped that for a prison angle noone asked for, and the series has spiraled out of control since. at least with predator even if they decide to go into backstory of what the yautja are, the basis of predator most likely wouldnt change. its like the first resident evil movie compared to everything afterward. and to top it off, they killed off newt for no damn reason.(at least hicks made it it)

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I think part of the problem is that the GI Joe type-squad that made Aliens work, was a product of the 80's. By the time Alien 3 rolled around, it was more of solo hero/heroine, but it recycles much of Alien and by this point becomes stale. Not to mention, taking place on a floating prison with expendables that no one cares about. It seems like the sequel that no one was interested in doing. But Roc killed his scenes.

Sonny Corinthos

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Port Charles, NY
Alien 3 was so god damn disappointing as a kid:snoop:

I remember seeing it fresh off renting Aliens and catching Alien on TV I was ready to go:dead:

No guns?
No marines?
Bald Ripley?

Come on :francis: