The Coli's Gaming Headphones thread

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What headphones do you use for gaming?

I have to say in the beginning, I would get whatever cheap headset I could find.
Started out with a cheap $30 Turtle Beach Recon 50P, then upgraded to the HyperX Cloud II.
I also have an old 2nd or 3rd gen Astro A50 headset, but I don't use it much because it just doesn't hold much of a charge...and I got it for dirt cheap on Ebay a few years ago.

Ultimately I realized that, as much as it's fun to have powerful bass-heavy headphones that really make the game feel immersive...if you're playing a competitive first person shooter where you need to identify where footsteps are coming from...bass heavy headphones that boost all sorts of explosions and gunfire are not what you want. You really should try to get headphones that have better separation between the lows and the mids.

Imaging and soundstage really are everything.

So I've gotten the Audio Technica AD700X. It's a "flatter" sound and if you're using them for something like hip hop...you're gonna hate them. But for competitive gaming they really are fantastic and there are dozens of reviews all over about them. They are open back, so they'll bleed audio and everyone will tell you they shouldn't be used outside of the house.

But anyway, what are you using? Or what is on your gaming headphones wishlist?

I had my eyes set on the Sennheiser HD58X off Massdrop but they upped the price to $170 recently....and it's probably worth it but since I got the AD700x's for $65...it's hard to justify.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I have a pair of Sony Golds, The Xbox Stereo headset by Microsoft, Turtle Beach Recon 70 and Recon 200, and Astro A40 with mixamp pro.
The astros are my favorite.
And plus rep to you op for appreciating dynamic range.
Someone will stumble in here soon enough with links and sideline stannery about the dolby atmos app on XB1. Just nod and smile when you hear from him.

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
79-261-667-Z01.jpg

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I have a pair of Sony Golds, The Xbox Stereo headset by Microsoft, Turtle Beach Recon 70 and Recon 200, and Astro A40 with mixamp pro.
The astros are my favorite.
And plus rep to you op for appreciating dynamic range.
Someone will stumble in here soon enough with links and sideline stannery about the dolby atmos app on XB1. Just nod and smile when you hear from him.
I heard the Sony Platinums are actually pretty good.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
out of production skullcandy headsets—

SLYR for the PS4 (black/yellow) and xbox (halo edition)...both still in very good working condition

I don’t even think they make gaming headsets @ all anymore...these were decent pairs...only used them to play GTA online...had the game for both systems

taker597

Superstar
Daps
Steel Series Pro wireless. Got it on Ebay for half the price. Loves these things

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
the only issue I had is they made my ears feel hot/sweat as they covered my ears completely and are very thick
Most closed back headphones will make your ears hot and could sweat. Especially in long gaming sessions.

Open back headphones are better about that. But you just have to be aware that open back is a different sound experience. Depending on what you're looking for, it can be great.

Just know you're probably not gonna get the same loud, booming bass and surround sound feeling you get with closed backs.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area

have had these since 2013!!!! they were $350 back then :wow:

still work great :blessed:

edit: damn have not realized ive had these 7 damn years :wow:

maybe time for some new ones when I build my new PC whenever that is