The coldest basketball shoe ever debuted 23 years ago today

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
These are probably my favorite J's I remember the first time I saw them was in an ad like this in a issue of Slam magazine
qquw5fxwizu8bjjvurlu.jpg

Couldn't wait to get a pair(first day cop and copped the retros first day in 2000). Only thing was they weren't very comfortable to play ball in (at least for me) so I stopped doing that very quickly, but damn they looked good tho.

Here's the commercial for them too:
This is has been the background on my iphone since 2007:mjgrin:

by the way all those low top 11s are sitting now. You can get pretty much all the colors at retail or below right now (concords, cool gray, etc):mjshrug1:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
This is has been the background on my iphone since 2007:mjgrin:

by the way all those low top 11s are sitting now. You can get pretty much all the colors at retail or below right now (concords, cool gray, etc):mjshrug1:
i copped them emerald joints a few weeks ago.
got my girl and my son a pair.
i didnt think id like lows but theyre pretty ill to me.

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
I remember that game I was happy he had 23 back...but me and my homeboy were fixated on those shoes...I was 17 and my granny told me if they ain't out in August which was when I went school shopping then she wasn't buying them so it led to my 1st job at subway....they dropped in Dec 95.....I was at the mall the morning they dropped....$119 later I was one of the 1st people to have them that yr and was stunting hard...the exclusive-ness is gone these days tho...but when I still rocked Jordan's I bought this pair at least 5 times....and if they finally go outta style...I'll purchase them again

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
classics but i dont really cop j's like that anymore

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
1s > 11s as I got older never thought I say this but 1s will never go out of style ..they look dope beat up...vintage

I got some beat up 11s :scust:

18s are my favorite of all time. Not sure why they won't retro those.

But yeah... Some busted up 11s look like some shyt. Only shoe that might look worst fukked up are the 15s. Them shyts start to sag... :scust:

JetLife

/ SOHH /
Daps
Reppin
Golden State
Only thing was they weren't very comfortable to play ball in (at least for me) so I stopped doing that very quickly, but damn they looked good tho.

You're not wrong ... I remember struggling in these as a kid ... looking back they were more of a fashion / tech demo vs. an actual performance sneaker.

The icy sole was sick ... but it was also slick, you had to continually wipe 'em with your hands.

The carbon fiber plate looked like ill technology ... but prevented the shoe from flexing naturally.

The midsole was chunky and with the carbon fiber made the shoe feel like a boot.

The upper was stylish as hell, but the thick upper padding and patent leather didn't lock down your foot.

The thick laces always kept getting undone even if you double knotted.

That being said ... 11's are still revolutionary for a ton of reasons.