The case for why Psychonauts 2 should be Game of the Year

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Again that’s on you if you don’t like a certain genre a games.

This is like a person saying

“I don’t like platforming games therefore Phsyconaugts is overrated”

:martin:

:russell:

nothing to argue…it doesn’t do anything special outside of the genre…y’all hyped the shyt up like it was a veritable game of the year contender

…the game is the best you can get in the genre by far.

Daps
Well I mean it’s still a kids game :russ:
I think feeling like this right here is exactly why I have held off on playing it so far. I didn’t play the original game and whenever I look at gameplay videos for this one it makes me feel like it’s made for kids (which can be good and bad i guess).

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
I can’t get over the character models, their faces just irk the hell out of me.

I’m working on my backlog , I’ll definitely give this a proper chance. I couldn’t get more than 40 minutes into first one though.

Waka FICO Flamez

Bricksquad Monopoly
Daps
Couldn’t really get into it. Played until right after hospital level. The gameplay just isn’t great…everything else is kinda dope but not enough to carry

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
The way I see it, no one game deserves the award this year. Overall, nothing stood tall above the rest. Psychonauts was cool, but the actual gameplay was lacking. It was enjoyable and if it wins, thats great. I think the art director is a Black woman, and that was the strongest part of the game.

Ratchet was cool, but too familiar and safe. It was fun to play and the best looking game to me.

Returnal is too difficult and too niche to take it. A great game that deserves nomination recognition.

Resident Evil Village was too uneven. Its highs are fantastic and its lows are puzzling. I wish it was a more balanced experience because then it would be the front runner. Really good sound design in that game. Particularly the PS5 version.

Forza Horizon 5 is FH4. I downloaded it, played it for about 1-2 hours and thought 'this is exactly like FH4' and then deleted it.

It Takes Two is like a collection of dope mini-games. But it was too short and didn't feel like a full game to me.

Deathloop released unfinished. For that alone, it doesn't deserve to win. Within a month of release, there were significant patches for performance, bugs, graphic improvements, and significant AI improvements which change the way the game plays. The pre-order day 1 people got screwed over.

Nothing truly stood out, but a lot of things were good. Next year will be a lot more interesting with the heavy hitters that are scheduled. Gamers should save their online energy and rage for next years GOTY debates.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The way I see it, no one game deserves the award this year. Overall, nothing stood tall above the rest. Psychonauts was cool, but the actual gameplay was lacking. It was enjoyable and if it wins, thats great. I think the art director is a Black woman, and that was the strongest part of the game.

Ratchet was cool, but too familiar and safe. It was fun to play and the best looking game to me.

Returnal is too difficult and too niche to take it. A great game that deserves nomination recognition.

Resident Evil Village was too uneven. Its highs are fantastic and its lows are puzzling. I wish it was a more balanced experience because then it would be the front runner. Really good sound design in that game. Particularly the PS5 version.

Forza Horizon 5 is FH4. I downloaded it, played it for about 1-2 hours and thought 'this is exactly like FH4' and then deleted it.

It Takes Two is like a collection of dope mini-games. But it was too short and didn't feel like a full game to me.

Deathloop released unfinished. For that alone, it doesn't deserve to win. Within a month of release, there were significant patches for performance, bugs, graphic improvements, and significant AI improvements which change the way the game plays. The pre-order day 1 people got screwed over.

Nothing truly stood out, but a lot of things were good. Next year will be a lot more interesting with the heavy hitters that are scheduled. Gamers should save their online energy and rage for next years GOTY debates.

Agreed 100%

The year of 8’s

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps

Hard disagree on It Takes Two. Probably the best co-op experience I've had in years. Especially if you have kids or a significant other that don't ordinarily play games. I could maybe see it being less of a challenge with two seasoned gamers, but even then it requires a good bit of coordination. I highly recommended it, especially now that it's on GP.

Great writeup though, pretty much hit the nail on the head with everything else. Just started Deathloop so we'll see. I didn't know a black woman was art director on Psychonauts. Love when yall share these tidbits about black creatives. Might explain why the agency head lady was still bad even if all the characters looked weird as hell.