“The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits” -- Willie Dixon

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Slide guitar

Slide guitar or bottleneck guitar is a particular method or technique for playing the guitar. The term slide refers to the motion of the slide against the strings, while bottleneck refers to the original material of choice for such slides: the necks of glass bottles. Instead of altering the pitch of the strings in the normal manner (by pressing the string against frets), a slide is placed upon the string to vary its vibrating length, and pitch. This slide can then be moved along the string without lifting, creating continuous transitions in pitch.

Slide guitar is most often played (assuming a right-handed player and guitar):

With the guitar in the normal position, using a slide called a bottleneck on one of the fingers of the left hand; this is known as bottleneck guitar.
With the guitar held horizontally, with the belly uppermost and the bass strings toward the player, and using a slide called a 'steel' held in the left hand; this is known as 'lap steel guitar'.

History

The technique of using a slide on a string has been traced to one-stringed African instruments similar to a "diddley bow". The tuning and bend filled playing style resembles the blues-harp.

The technique was made popular by African American blues artists. The first musician to be recorded using the style was Sylvester Weaver who recorded two solo pieces "Guitar Blues" and "Guitar Rag" in 1923. Some of the blues artists who most prominently used the slide include gospel singer Blind Willie Johnson, Blind Willie McTell, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Son House, Robert Johnson as well as Casey Bill Weldon of the Memphis Jug Band. The sound has since become commonplace in country and Hawaiian music. It is also used in rock, by bands such as Canned Heat, The Allman Brothers Band, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Little Feat, Eagles, and ZZ Top. The Rolling Stones featured a slide guitar as early as their 1963 recording of the John Lennon/Paul McCartney song "I Wanna Be Your Man". Guitarist Brian Jones played slide in a very blues-oriented style. His successor Mick Taylor also displayed his own slide guitar skills while with the band, using a bottleneck on studio recordings and during live performances. Many early Pink Floyd songs such as "See Emily Play" (played with a Zippo lighter for a slide), feature Syd Barrett's slide guitar performances, reflecting the bands original Chicago urban blues repertoire from musicians such as Bo Diddley and Slim Harpo. Canned Heat's Alan Wilson also helped bring slide guitar to the rock music industry in the late 1960s which he used frequently during concerts to create a buzzing delta blues boogie which can be heard on tracks such as London Blues, I Love My Baby, Sandy Blues, and countless others and can also be seen during their performances at the Monterey Pop Festival on Rollin and Tumblin' and at Woodstock During Woodstock Boogie and On The Road Again. George Harrison experimented with slide guitar during the latter half of The Beatles' career, first using the technique on an early outtake recording of "Strawberry Fields Forever" in 1966. He later used slide extensively during his solo career on songs such as "My Sweet Lord", "Cheer Down" and the Traveling Wilburys' "Handle With Care", as well as on The Beatles' 1995 reunion single "Free as a Bird".

Arguably the first influential classic electric blues slide guitarist is Elmore James, whose riff in the song "Dust My Broom" is copied from Robert Johnson and is held in particularly high regard. Blues legend Muddy Waters was also very influential, particularly in developing the electric Chicago blues slide guitar from the acoustic Mississippi Delta slide guitar. Texas blues musician Johnny Winter developed his distinctive style through years of touring with Waters. Slide player Roy Rogers honed his slide skills by touring with blues artist John Lee Hooker. John Lee's cousin Earl Hooker may have been the first to use wah-wah and slide together.

Like Alan Wilson, Duane Allman played a key role in bringing slide guitar into rock music, through his work with The Allman Brothers Band, specifically on the 1971 live album At Fillmore East and with Derek and the Dominos' Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs album. Beginning in the late 1960s, Allman used an empty glass Coricidin medicine bottle, which he wore over his ring finger as a slide. This was later picked up by other slide guitarists such as Bonnie Raitt, Rory Gallagher, Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Joe Walsh, who used his middle finger and later in the mid 80s, switched to a brass slide. Such bottles eventually went out of production in the early 1980s, although replicas have been produced since 1985, including a copy of Allman's slide used by another Allman Brothers member, Derek Trucks, which was made of Dunlop Pyrex, giving the same sound as the glass slide, without the danger of shattering.

Allman extended the expressive range of the slide guitar by incorporating the harmonica effects of Sonny Boy Williamson II, most clearly in the Allman Brothers' cover version of Sonny Boy's "One Way Out", heard on their album Eat a Peach. He made his slide playing sound like an alto saxophone in the band's live version of "You Don't Love Me" on their 1989 anthology Dreams. (During his solo he included a portion of the song "Soul Serenade" as a tribute to his close friend, the then-recently-murdered alto player King Curtis.)

Most recently lap style slide has been re-born via artists like Ben Harper, Sean Kirkwood and Xavier Rudd - both players of weissenborn's, the former using original early 1900s instruments long with modern day variations such as his own co-designed Asher signature model, the latter using modern reproductions of weissenborn.

cQxTH.jpg

Bottleneck

Blues Slide Guitar Cam strikes again

BCuuq.jpg

Horizontal or lap

Martin Harley Slides

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The Diddley Bow

The diddley bow is an American string instrument of African origin, probably developed from instruments found on the Ghana coast of west Africa. The diddley bow is rarely heard outside the rural south. Other nicknames for this instrument include “jitterbug” or “one-string,” while an ethnomusicologist would formally call it a “monochord zither.”

The diddley bow is typically homemade, consisting usually of a wooden board and a single wire string stretched between two screws, and played by plucking while varying the pitch with a metal or glass slide held in the other hand. The diddley bow has traditionally been considered an "entry-level" instrument, normally played by adolescent boys, who then graduate to a "normal" guitar if they show promise on the diddley bow. Detailed instructions for building a diddley bow can be found at www.onestringwillie.com.

The diddley bow is significant to blues music in that many blues guitarists got their start playing it as children, as well as the fact that, like the slide guitar, it is played with a slide. However, because it was considered a children's instrument, very few musicians continued to play the diddley bow once they reached adulthood. The diddley bow is therefore not well represented in recordings.

The diddley bow may have been the first instrument that produced the sound of sliding rhythm and the whines and cries of a single string that later became the distinctive sound known today as the "Blues". It was common to the rural south in the 1800's and was made by taking a piece of broom or cotton wire and stretching it between two nails tied to the side of a wooden frame house, with a bottle or "snuff can" wedged under the wire to create tension for pitch. The string was plucked while sliding a piece of metal or glass on it to produce notes. The "diddley bow" is similiar to an African one-string instrument that was called an "Umakweyana."

the Diddley Bow

fp824a.jpg

fs781093.jpg

the mouthharp, Brazilian berimbau and diddley bow are all related

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
John Lee Hooker is a giant of the blues and the father of the boogie. Beginning in 1948 with his first single, “Boogie Chillen,” he introduced the world to the persistent, chugging rhythm of boogie music, a form of country blues Hooker learned back home in Mississippi. His foot-stomping boogie was adapted and amplified in the Sixties and Seventies by a great number of rock and roll artists, including the Rolling Stones, the Yardbirds, Canned Heat, John Mayall, Ten Years After, Foghat, ZZ Top and George Thorogood.

The Boogie comes from North Missisippi

POSJq.gif

Boogie rock

Boogie rock is a music genre which came out of the hard heavy blues rock of the late 1960s. It tends to feature a repetitive driving rhythm in place of instrumental experimentation found in the more progressive blues-rock bands of the period.

Definitions

Boogie rockers concentrate on the groove, working a steady, chugging back beat, often in shuffle time.

History

One of the first bands to popularize boogie rock worldwide was Canned Heat. Boogie rock reached the height of its popularity in the mid to late 1970s.

Many US boogie rock bands have a southern twang, like Canned Heat, ZZ Top, The Allman Brothers Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd. The Canadian band Bachman-Turner Overdrive also popularized a style of heavy, danceable boogie rock in the mid-1970s.

British bands include Status Quo, Humble Pie, Savoy Brown, Foghat and Engine. Status Quo became, from the early 1970s the most significant British boogie rock band.

Boogie Chillun - John lee hooker.

SLIM HARPO - Boogie Chillern (Louisiana style, sometimes called "Swamp Blues" )

SLIM HARPO - SHAKE YOUR HIPS ( a variation)

Hip Shake -- The Rolling Stones -- Live 1972 (cover)

Spirit In The Sky - Norman Greenbaum

ZZ Top - La Grange (From "Double Down Live - 1980")

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

Robert Johnson and his impact on modern pop/rock.

On what made his style unique and so influential. From the rock/blues critic, Robert Palmer:

Robert Johnson recorded twenty-nine songs in 1936 and 1937 — alternate takes, previously bootlegged and only rarely revelatory, bring the total here to forty-one — and then vanished into the murky Mississippi Delta world of juke joints, voodoo lore, violence, grand plantation houses for whites and perpetually indentured black sharecroppers who worked in the cotton fields all week and were serious about their Saturday nights. Johnson was fatally poisoned by a jealous husband or boyfriend shortly before fame caught up with him in the person of Columbia's John Hammond, who wanted him for the historic 1938 Spirituals to Swing concert, at Carnegie Hall, in New York, Fame, finding nothing left but a legend, passed him by, but only for a while. Even in these last prosaic facts, the Myth lurks. In "Sweet Home Chicago," Johnson played and sang as if anticipating the effect his music would have on the electric-blues scene in Chicago ten years later, and the last line he sang at his last session posed a question to which he would soon find the terminal answer: "Well, now, can you suck on some other man's bull cow ... in this strange man's town?"

The Robert Johnson recordings are musical art of the highest order, as rich and transcendent as anything produced by an American musician in this century — surely only a racist or classist would argue otherwise. Was he really the greatest blues singer-guitarist-songwriter of all? Listening to Johnson in Frank Abbey's lovingly restored and remastered new versions, the question seems almost irrelevant. Johnson was a great one, all right, and a bluesman to the bottom of his soul. But at his most original, when he is also most chilling, Johnson blows genre considerations and invidious comparisons right out the window.

"Hellhound on My Trail" and "Love in Vain," both from his last session, are idiosyncratic constructions that defy time in their musical daring and emotional immediacy. "Hellhound," with its moving inner voices and dissonant, nontempered chords in the guitar accompaniment, is so vivid it's as much life as art. So are "Cross Road Blues" and "Me and the Devil Blues," but unlike the formally singular "Hellhound," these are blues to the marrow. "You want to know how good the blues can get?" asks Keith Richards. "Well, this is it."

Technically, Johnson the guitarist was an anomaly. He could sing and play cross-rhythms on the guitar, relating the parts in such complex syncopations that, as Richards notes, "You think, 'This guy must have three brains!'" Johnson also occasionally "breaks time," dropping a half beat or a half bar, apparently without realizing it ("Traveling Riverside Blues," "Honeymoon Blues"), which caused more technically conventional bluesmen to snicker. Yet could any of them have brought off the hesitations, sprung the offbeat accents and other polyrhythmic byplay — mercurial figures derived from sources as diverse as Son House, the recordings of Kokomo Arnold and Johnson's own teeming imagination — that Johnson had mastered? More important, could any of his contemporaries have come close to equaling the sheer force and the haunted immediacy Johnson communicated? This, finally, is his bid for status as "the greatest": No other bluesman left a studio portrait that seems to come moaning and howling from the darkest recesses of his soul. The music has a power that age cannot dim. Familiarity with his work, even over many years, breeds only a finer appreciation and a more acute sense of awe.

Johnson left his mark on popular music primarily during two eras. On steady-rocking dance tunes like "Sweet Home Chicago," "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom" and "I'm a Steady Rollin' Man," he crafted complete orchestral guitar accompaniments that set a driving shuffle rhythm, accented with stinging treble-string bottleneck leads, sketched in a bass line and even suggested figures suitable for piano chording. In Chicago in the Forties and early Fifties, Muddy Waters and Elmore James, among others, realized these arrangements-in-embryo as full band numbers and made "Sweet Home Chicago" and "Dust My Broom" postwar standards. These songs had their effect on rock & roll, but they did not equal the impact of the first Johnson LP reissue, King of the Delta Blues Singers, on the first generation of Sixties blues-based white rockers. Whether you're talking about the Stones, the Yardbirds or Led Zeppelin, Johnson gave them all a fright, encouraged them, pushed them to play more than they knew and perhaps to find out things they did not need to know.."

Clapton on what made Johnson's style so uinque

Eric Clapton Looks Back at His Blues Roots

"
We hadn't bought an amplifier, so I could only play it acoustically and fantasize about what it would sound like, but it didn't matter. I was teaching myself new stuff all the time. Most of the time I was trying to play like Chuck Berry or Jimmy Reed, electric stuff, then I sort of worked backward into country blues. This was instigated by Clive, when out of the blue he gave me an album to listen to call King of the Delta Blues Singers, a collection of seventeen songs recorded by bluesman Robert Johnson in the 1930s. I read in the sleeve notes that when Johnson was auditioning for the sessions in a hotel room in San Antonio, he played facing the corner of the room because he was so shy. Having been paralyzed with shyness as a kid, I immediately identified with this.

At first the music almost repelled me, it was so intense, and this man made no attempt to sugarcoat what he was trying to say, or play. It was hard-core, more than anything I had ever heard. After a few listenings I realized that, on some level, I had found the master, and that following this man's example would be my life work. I was totally spellbound by the beauty and eloquence of songs like "Kindhearted Woman," while the raw pain expressed in "Hellhound on My Trail" seemed to echo things I had always felt.

I tried to copy Johnson, but his style of simultaneously playing a disjointed bass line on the low strings, rhythm on the middle strings, and lead on the treble strings while singing at the same time was impossible to even imagine
. I put his album to one side for a while and began listening again to other players, trying to form a style. I knew I could never reach the standards of the original guys, but I thought that if I kept trying, something would evolve. It was just a question of time and faith. I began to play things I had heard on the record, but to add my own touches. I would take the bits that I could copy from a combination of the electric blues players I liked, like John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, and Chuck Berry, and the acoustic players like Big Bill Broonzy, and amalgamate them into one, trying to find a phraseology that would encompass all these different artists. It was an extremely ambitious undertaking, but I was in no hurry and was convinced I was on the right track, and that eventually it would come."

Keith Richards on Johnson's style:

Robert Johnson as told by Keith Richards

"Brian Jones had the first album, and that's where I first heard it. I'd just met Brian, and I went around to his apartment-crash pad, actually, all he had in it was a chair, a record player, and a few records. One of which was Robert Johnson. He put it on, and it was just-you know-astounding stuff. When I first heard it, I said to Brian, "Who's that?" "Robert Johnson". I said, "Yeah, but who's the other guy playing with him?" Because I was hearing two guitars, and it took me a long time to realize he was actually doing it all by himself.
I've never heard anybody before or since use the form and bend it quite so much to make it work for himself. The quality of the songs themselves-I mean, he came out with such compelling themes, they were actual songs as well as just being the blues. The songs and the subject matter, just the way they were treated, apart from the music and the performance. And the guitar playing-it was almost like listening to Bach. You know, you think you're getting a handle on playing the blues, and then you hear Robert Johnson-some of the rhythms he's doing and playing and singing at the same time, you think, "This guy must have three brains!"

To me Robert Johnson's influence-he was like a comet or a meteor that came along and, BOOM, suddenly he raised the ante, suddenly you just had to aim that much higher. You can put the record on now, and it's as fresh and interesting as the first day you heard it. Everybody should know about Robert Johnson. When you know about something, and comperatively few other people know about it, that's a crime in a way; you've got to do what you can to tell people, "Hey, check this cat out. Because you're in for something extra in your life." You want to know how good the blues can get? Well, this is it.

Cross Road Blues Music

Unlock the melody, harmony, and rhythm
Both recorded versions of "Cross Road Blues" demonstrate Johnson's crooning, crushing singing style and fearsome guitar skills, still imitated by blues and rock n' roll musicians to this day.

Spin Magazine, Rolling Stone, and Guitar.com have all granted Johnson posthumous ratings as one of the greatest guitar players of all time. Bob Dylan, Keith Richards, Muddy Waters, Jimi Hendrix, and Eric Clapton are some of the more famous names to spend their lives trying to emulate Robert Johnson. Clapton is the most intense about it: after he heard Johnson, he says, "I realized that, on some level, I had found the master, and that following this man's example would be my life's work."

But unless you are a pre-seasoned blues buff, the reason for all the hype can be hard to hear in the simple recordings that make up Johnson's tiny oeuvre. But Clapton explains it well: Johnson is "simultaneously playing a disjointed bass line on the low strings, rhythm on the middle strings, and lead on the treble strings while singing at the same time." Or, in the words of a less exacting critic, "When you get to 'Crossroads' …oh my God, forget it. It sounds like three guys playing." In other words, the sound is simple, but the technique is incredibly difficult to learn.

"Cross Road Blues" really does sound like it could be three guitars playing. In its simple brilliance, the song has all the typical features of a Robert Johnson tune. The guitar is tuned in open A tuning, which allows him to use a slide (usually a glass "bottleneck" slide in those days) on the open strings. As he riffs on the slide on the high strings, he's strumming the "dun-ta-dun-ta" sound known as the boogie shuffle. The boogie sound is now an easily recognizable signature of blues music. Although he didn't come up with it himself, Johnson's recordings have become classic, and "Cross Road Blues" demonstrates the early use of the common boogie sound. You'll also note that while the song is mostly in 4/4 time, Johnson is not afraid to throw in a 5/4 measure or two for the sake of his quavering guitar solos, another typical element of his creativity.

As for the singing, a webpage about how to play like Robert Johnson advises that you "gotta sing like you've got hellhounds on your trail." Another commentator says Johnson sounds "like he's about five minutes away from the electric chair." Even if you don't believe in possession by the devil, there's something guttural and desperate about the singing that captivates people and that few have been able to imitate"

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Searching for Robert Johnson

The story of Robert Johnson is usually presented as a Faustian bargain, but it is really a tale of possession. Johnson was the product of an affair his mother, Julia Dodds, had with a plantation worker. Johnson had unusually long fingers and a bad left eye (that has been attributed to a cataract), and by the time he had recorded his canon, he had earned the right to sing and play the blues.

His youth was spent moving between homes in Memphis and Robinsonville, Mississippi, 30 miles south of Memphis, where he lived with his mother and her second husband on a plantation. There he was known for his interest in guitar and his reluctance to work the fields.

It was in the aftermath of his wife’s and child’s deaths—Johnson was approximately 19 at the time—that his musical education is believed to have begun in earnest. In 1930 the ferocious blues singer Son House had moved to Robinsonville to begin a fruitful musical partnership with the guitar ace Willie Brown, and Johnson became a regular presence at their performances, although the two elder bluesmen perceived him as a nuisance. House’s recollection of Johnson—as told to folklorist Julius Lester in 1965—was of a “little boy” who would commandeer either his or Brown’s guitar during their breaks and irritate the audience with his marginal skills. Perhaps Johnson sensed, too, that he was not ready for the stage, because around this time he moved back to the Hazlehurst area, his birthplace, where he began an apprenticeship with a blues guitarist named Ike Zimmerman (the spelling of his name is disputed) which would transform Johnson into the virtuoso he is known as today.

That Robert Johnson is remembered as a guitarist who could play almost any song after hearing it just once on the radio; a singer whose repertoire, like those of most itinerant bluesmen, included numbers made famous by Bing Crosby, Irish standards, and even polkas, in addition to his own songs; a performer whose travels took him as far north as New York City and even Canada in search of an audience; and an artist who could move an audience to tears and then disappear into the crowd as if he had never played at all.

Clearly, Johnson was a man of some ambition, and in November of 1936 he traveled to San Antonio, Texas, for the first of two recording sessions for the American Record Corporation. Once in the makeshift studio, he played facing a corner, with his back to the technicians and other musicians who had come to record, a move that has been variously interpreted as shyness, an attempt to prevent other guitarists from seeing his unusual playing style, or a street-savvy technique for getting the most sound out of his acoustic guitar. Whatever the case, Johnson recorded approximately 16 songs over three days, most of them in two or three takes. One of those tunes, “Terraplane Blues,” a double-entendre-laden number, was issued as a 78-r.p.m. single on the Vocalion label and became a modest regional hit, selling approximately 5,000 copies. As a result, Johnson was invited back to Texas, this time, in June 1937, to Dallas, where he recorded another 13 tracks, but no more hits.

A little more than a year later, Johnson would be dead—and probably destined for obscurity had his music not already gotten the attention of a record producer who would exert a huge impact on popular music in the 20th century. By the time John H. Hammond Jr. came across Johnson’s records, he had persuaded Benny Goodman to integrate his band, discovered a young Billie Holiday in Harlem, and recorded Count Basie, but he was just getting started. As a talent scout for Columbia Records in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, Hammond would discover Aretha Franklin and sign Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Bruce Springsteen, and Stevie Ray Vaughan to the label.

Hammond’s role in Johnson’s legacy is pivotal. He first championed Johnson in print in 1937 when, writing under a pseudonym for the left-wing publication New Masses, he asserted that “Johnson makes Leadbelly look like an accomplished poseur.” Then, in 1938, Hammond sought to feature Johnson in a concert he was producing at Carnegie Hall that December called “From Spirituals to Swing.” He sent an emissary into the South to track down Johnson and bring him back to New York. But as the day of the show approached, Hammond learned that Johnson was dead—possibly murdered. On the night of the concert, Big Bill Broonzy took Johnson’s place, but Hammond memorialized the late Delta artist by playing two recordings of his songs for the Carnegie Hall audience.

More than 20 years later, Hammond would expose Johnson’s music to a whole new generation of listeners. Columbia now controlled Johnson’s recordings, and in 1961, Hammond oversaw the release of King of the Delta Blues Singers, the first album-length collection of Johnson’s music, which helped spark a blues revival in America. According to the album’s producer, Frank Driggs, it sold approximately 10,000 copies upon its initial release—impressive for an obscure, dead, vernacular performer.

“The Music Almost Repelled Me”

Not long before the album became available to the public, Hammond had given a young Bob Dylan an early acetate copy of the LP. Near the end of his 2004 memoir, Chronicles: Volume One, Dylan recounts the rather intense effect King of the Delta Blues Singers had on him. If he hadn’t heard the album at such an early, formative stage in his career, Dylan writes, “there probably would have been hundreds of lines of mine that would have been shut down—that I wouldn’t have felt free or upraised enough to write.”

King of the Delta Blues Singers had an arguably larger impact across the Atlantic in Britain, where a new generation of rock ’n’ rollers were learning their chops and finding their influences. One of them was a shy, alienated teenager named Eric Clapton, who was given the Johnson album by one of his early bandmates. “At first the music almost repelled me, it was so intense and this man made no attempt to sugarcoat what he was trying to say, or play,” Clapton writes in his recently published memoir, Clapton: The Autobiography.

The chance of this music’s having such an immediate and visceral effect on an aspiring rock star today is, frankly, pretty slim. To ears accustomed to modern, computer-generated effects that can make almost anyone sound like a guitar god or a vocal powerhouse, Johnson’s music can sound thin and primitive at first spin, even though it’s remarkably complex and polished for its time. As Clapton explains in his autobiography, Johnson employed a fingerpicking style that had him “simultaneously playing a disjointed bass line on the low strings, rhythm on the middle strings, and lead on the treble strings while singing at the same time.” Occasionally, Johnson worked in some bottle-slide playing, too, which involves placing a small glass bottle or sleeve over the left pinkie, then sliding it up and down the guitar’s neck to create the pitch-bending wail that is a signature of the blues. Even accomplished guitarists can have a hard time re-creating Johnson’s sound, let alone mastering it. Says Dave Rubin, an author for the music publisher Hal Leonard Corporation who led the team of musicians who transcribed Johnson’s songs for the guitar instructional Robert Johnson: The New Transcriptions, “When you get to ‘Crossroads’ and ‘Preachin’ Blues’—oh my God, forget it. It sounds like three guys playing.”

Johnson’s guitar chops were just one part of the equation, however. For a blues singer, he was more of a crooner than a croaker, and his voice sometimes had a quaver that could sound haunted or seductive. There was also an urgency to Johnson’s singing that made him sound “like he’s about five minutes away from the electric chair,” Driggs says. Lyrics such as “She got a mortgage on my body now, a lien on my soul,” from “Traveling Riverside Blues,” could also have a devastating poetic economy. In Chronicles, Dylan recounts writing Johnson’s words down on scraps of paper to examine their structure and finding “big-ass truths wrapped in the hard shell of nonsensical abstraction—themes that flew through the air with the greatest of ease.” (Dylan could have been talking about himself.) He doesn’t put much stock in criticism that is often leveled at the blues artist: that Johnson’s work is derivative. In Chronicles, Dylan plays King of the Delta Blues Singers for his friend Dave Van Ronk, the respected folksinger known as the Mayor of MacDougal Street, but Van Ronk mostly hears a musician mimicking his predecessors. “He didn’t think Johnson was very original. I knew what he meant, but I thought just the opposite. I thought Johnson was as original as could be, didn’t think him or his songs could be compared to anything.”

What Dylan understands about Johnson is that, while his influences are easily divined, in all but a few cases, every guitar lick, vocal technique, or lyrical flourish that he borrows or steals he makes his own. For example, Rubin explains, while Johnnie Temple’s “Lead Pencil Blues” was the first recorded example of the “cut boogie pattern”—the chugging, trainlike guitar line that’s a staple of basic rock ’n’ roll—it’s Johnson’s harder, more propulsive version, found, for example, on “Sweet Home Chicago,” that other guitarists began to adopt, from Elmore James to Chuck Berry and beyond.

“To me, he was the synthesis of his generation,” says blues guitarist and singer-songwriter John P. Hammond, whose father was the John Hammond who signed Dylan and oversaw the release of King of the Delta Blues Singers. Hammond fils discovered Robert Johnson independently of his father, in the late 1950s, when he heard one of the bluesman’s songs on a Folkways album compilation. “He was my inspiration to want to play,” Hammond says of Johnson. Hammond joined a number of artists in the 60s who were influenced by Johnson, covering his music on their albums or in their concerts, or both. The Rolling Stones reworked Johnson’s “Love in Vain” for their now classic 1969 album Let It Bleed (although they credited the writer as “Woody Payne,” presumably to avoid copyright problems), and that same year Led Zeppelin’s second album included “The Lemon Song,” a track that owed much to Howlin’ Wolf but also took part of its lyrics—“You can squeeze my lemon ’til the juice run down my leg”—from Johnson’s “Traveling Riverside Blues.”

And then there was Clapton. Initially taken aback by the intensity of Johnson’s work, he writes in his autobiography that, after letting the record get under his skin, “I realized that, on some level, I had found the master, and that following this man’s example would be my life’s work.” In 1966, with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, he recorded Johnson’s “Ramblin’ on My Mind,” and then, in 1968, with the band Cream, he worked up an electrified and modified take on Johnson’s “Cross Road Blues” called “Crossroads” that became one of his signature hits. But only after recording his 2004 homage to the blues musician, Me and Mr. Johnson, and filming a companion DVD, Sessions for Robert J, was Clapton left with the sense that “my debt to Robert was paid.”

Clapton and Roy Rogers struggling to duplicate Johnson:russ:

vs

definition

im not a cool guy anymore
Daps
I've been trying to teach myself guitar. My son knows how to play a good 12 bar blues, but he hasn't taught me.

I really just want to learn to play "mannish boy" by muddy waters. Then I think I could modify that structure and progression to play garage, punk and whatever else. Because that's what everyone else did.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I've been trying to teach myself guitar. My son knows how to play a good 12 bar blues, but he hasn't taught me.

I really just want to learn to play "mannish boy" by muddy waters. Then I think I could modify that structure and progression to play garage, punk and whatever else. Because that's what everyone else did.

You can play almost any kind of music with blues being the base.

E minor Blues scale

That song (Punk-Blues-/Garage Rock) you hear everywhere lol....is based in the E minor blues scale.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
1FcJeCN.jpg

J.B. Lenoir is an outstanding blues singer, songwriter who was born in Monticella, Mississippi (March 5,1929). J. B. Lenoir was known in the 50s for his particular zebra-patterned costumes and his brilliant female-like voice but he was a very influential musician and composer playing electric guitar. His band included piano (Sunnyland Slim), saxophone (J. T. Brown), and drums (Alfred Wallace). In this period he wrote several blues standards including Don't Dog Your Woman, Mama Talk To Your Daughter, and Don't Touch My Head. He was also known with his political content relating to racism and war in his lyrics. "Vietnam Blues" and "Alabama Blues" were major examples. Despite the angry lyrics of many of his songs, Lenoir sang in a disarmingly sweet, laid-back style, and he was widely known as an exceptionally friendly and gentle person. He befriended and encouraged many young blues artists both black and white. He died on April 29, 1967 in Urbana, Illinois from a heart attack related to injuries he suffered in a car accident three weeks earlier. His untimely death is lamented by John Mayall in the song, "Death of J. B. Lenoir". He was also honored by Wim Wenders in the movie "The Soul of a Man"

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Albert Collins and Jimmie Vaughan - Texas blues

Collins and Jimmie chillin' out with some T-Bone Style.

Stevie Ray Vaughan plays Lightnin Hopkins and T-Bone 1985

Stevie Ray Vaughan sits down, speaks about and plays the styles of T Bone Walker and Lightnin' Hopkins. 1985.