The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Anyone notice the difference in reviews and coverage for Moonlight vs The Birth of a Nation?

One is about a slave revolt, the other is another story about a ghetto black boy that hates his momma and has no hope but to become a "thug" and oh yeah, he's probably gay. :comeon: They really don't even try to hide certain agendas these days.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Anyone notice the difference in reviews and coverage for Moonlight vs The Birth of a Nation?

One is about a slave revolt, the other is another story about a ghetto black boy that hates his momma and has no hope but to become a "thug" and oh yeah, he's probably gay. :comeon: They really don't even try to hide certain agendas these days.

Or them comparing 12yrs to Nat. Sayin they liked 12yrs better :skip:

At this point we all know what it is :yeshrug:

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I cant wait to see it for myself in a month :russ: thats all I can say to the talk around this movie

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

A couple of the podcasts I listen to have mentioned there are several black movies to root for this upcoming award season...

:francis: I guess we know which movie Shea Butter Twitter is gonna root for.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
First page predictions :wow:
I think the biggest concern, in terms of filmmaking, is if Nate Parker really did make this a Mel Gibson slave movie. :patrice:

Mel is a racist, but great filmmaker and very skilled at it.. However, if Nate is just trying replicate that then maybe the movie does miss out on nuance/subtlety that we hoped for. This is his first time making a film :manny:

Or maybe some of these reviewers are just nitpicking for the hell of it.:francis:

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Yeah if you looked at Variety's Twitter timeline on Friday night while they were covering this event, it felt like they were trying to get a negative reaction from Twitter. But it never happened.

Professor Blacktruth & Jason Black discuss this at the 1:12:24 mark:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:francis:

:what: :mindblown: Her DUMBASS was the 1 decided to write that Op-ed piece for the LA Times to throw Nate Parker under the bus. What did she think was gonna happen???!! Any idiot can see discussing his old rape case is a purposeful distraction from the movie.

Daps

:what: :mindblown: Her DUMBASS was the 1 decided to write that Op-ed piece for the LA Times to throw Nate Parker under the bus. What did she was gonna happen???!! Any idiot can see discussing his old rape case is a purposeful distraction from the movie.

I am low key convinced that those black feminists on Twitter are slow. Black women are the ones who made the story big and are the ones acting a fool about it. They inserted themselves. How is anyone asking them to pick up the slack? They really make no sense.

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
For you younger brehs, the movie is called Birth of a Nation cause the original film titled Birth of a Nation is a 1915 black and white movie about how '******s' want to fukk all the white women and the able-bodied white males need to join the Ku Klux Klan to go kill them all.

Swear to god thats the plot.
The Birth of a Nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So understand the level of the cacs you are dealing with.
Here's the original movie poster.

220px-Birth_of_a_Nation_theatrical_poster.jpg

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
For you younger brehs, the movie is called Birth of a Nation cause the original film titled Birth of a Nation is a 1915 black and white movie about how '******s' want to fukk all the white women and the able-bodied white males need to join the Ku Klux Klan to go kill them all.

Swear to god thats the plot.
The Birth of a Nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So understand the level of the cacs you are dealing with.
Here's the original movie poster.

220px-Birth_of_a_Nation_theatrical_poster.jpg

My history teacher in middle school showed us Birth of A Nation during Black History month...he was a cool brotha and would do a really deep dive into the racism of the film and we would have discussions in the class on the themes of the movie. It opened a lot of kids eyes because just reading about how black folks used to be slaves or how racist things were in the country is one thing but to see it in live action was entirely different.
Doubt that would have happened if he was a white teacher or if the school was in a white town.

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
My history teacher in middle school showed us Birth of A Nation during Black History month...he was a cool brotha and would do a really deep dive into the racism of the film and we would have discussions in the class on the themes of the movie. It opened a lot of kids eyes because just reading about how black folks used to be slaves or how racist things were in the country is one thing but to see it in live action was entirely different.
Doubt that would have happened if he was a white teacher or if the school was in a white town.

He wouldn't be allowed to show it today. Its on a banned list which serves to keep it out of all forms of academia until higher learning courses.
Really its only banned to keep black kids from understanding the level of racism they should expect from their white course instructors and other authoritive cacs along their school-to-prison pipeline.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

:what: :mindblown: Her DUMBASS was the 1 decided to write that Op-ed piece for the LA Times to throw Nate Parker under the bus. What did she think was gonna happen???!! Any idiot can see discussing his old rape case is a purposeful distraction from the movie.

That article (and the tweets) are a bunch of whatever. Gabby Union is the one who decided to write an Op-ed about it, as you said, resulting in attention drawn to her.

Nate Parker obviously won't talk much, if at all, about the case at this point, so reporters are gonna turn to her. If she continues to give answers about it, they'll continue to ask her questions.

Last edited: