The at home generation..

Deluuxe

Deadly Jester
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Do us black youth have the choice to live on our own in this generation? I'm from Toronto and most ppl my age (~23) that I know live at home w/ parents. This generation is the 1st generation of immigrants, parents migrated to Canada from the Caribbean or Africa. So a lot of our parents started in apartments or low income area but they've saved up enough money to buy a house in Toronto or out in the surrounding suburbs for the family. The thing is, usually they have regular jobs and are just making ends meet, so our generation who go to college/uni and get a job or are working; money goes in to help pay the bills. This puts u in a weird position though because your basically stuck at home. You don't make enough to help your parents and live on your own supporting yourself. This shyt has been bothering me because your "suppose" to have your own place @ a certain age but your tied in helping your fam... It's a lot of pressure cuz you know how black folks are, "lolz, you at your moms house" and the only reason they can do that most of the time is if their parents have money or their parents live in the hood and they moved out so they have no ties. If I was Asian or sum shyt it would be no shame, I see them living at home stacking up prolly but some money up and get a BMW m3 and their chillin. Anyone in this same position? What will you do?

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
The avg cost for a house in Toronto is nearly half a mill.

Its redic

Sent from royalty using Tapatalk 4 beta

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
If you struggling to live on your own, live with your parents until you can absolutely support yourself(no paycheck to paycheck). Keep those expenses to a minimum and break bread with your family to acquire some type of capital(real estate; investments, businesses, etc).

It kind of sucks living at home, but it's better to live comfortably at home(especially if you're able to stack up something) than struggle to get by on your own.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
I'm in this position as we speak, but the positive is that I am saving alot, I plan to buy a rental house or two with my family next year.

M617

retired
Supporter
Daps
you have until about 25 then it gets bad. im 28 and moved out a few years ago. i wasnt ready at 21 though for sure. dont be a cheap fukk though if you can move out do it. sure paying rent sucks and is a hit but its worth it watching tv in your own place on the couch looking around knowing you made it. i have one roommate and we split all bills. i COULD live on my own but then i would be hurting for money paying half for now is fine and im doing ok

i have two former friends who are both 28 and show no signs of moving out because they are too comfortable eating dinners at home every night, not paying rent....almost 30 at home is not good. if they even try cock block me at the bar if i ever chill with them agian all i have to do is drop the you still live at home line

but seriously owning a 40+k car and still living at home is almost and ass beating offense....girls do not like that shyt and your not one upping anyone with your mother and father knowing when ur hungover, when ur home, looking at your dirty clothes all up in your business like that

aqualung

I wear a crown of curls.
Daps
Reppin
NYC, Boston, #ByrdGang
Find a partner who earns as much as or more than you do. Wed, combine resources, and rent and/or buy real estate with HER.

--> aq out <--

NubianVitruvian

Retired
Daps
I'm just trying to make money tattooing. I'm applying to shops but if I don't get a call back, I'm just going to try get my own place and work from home.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
It's called the boomerang generation and no, you and your friends aren't unique, especially in high COL metro areas

exactly. These days, its practically the norm. Any of the older heads living in cheap areas have no Idea what they talking about. This ain't the 70s where you can be on ya own and make good money. In our generation, there are plenty of college grads that are broke as shyt. Don't let these broke ass older nikkas talk down on any of you. They have no idea what $4 gas is like, where food prices are outrageous, and your elusive college degree is worthless during your 20's

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
Do us black youth have the choice to live on our own in this generation? I'm from Toronto and most ppl my age (~23) that I know live at home w/ parents. This generation is the 1st generation of immigrants, parents migrated to Canada from the Caribbean or Africa. So a lot of our parents started in apartments or low income area but they've saved up enough money to buy a house in Toronto or out in the surrounding suburbs for the family. The thing is, usually they have regular jobs and are just making ends meet, so our generation who go to college/uni and get a job or are working; money goes in to help pay the bills. This puts u in a weird position though because your basically stuck at home. You don't make enough to help your parents and live on your own supporting yourself. This shyt has been bothering me because your "suppose" to have your own place @ a certain age but your tied in helping your fam... It's a lot of pressure cuz you know how black folks are, "lolz, you at your moms house" and the only reason they can do that most of the time is if their parents have money or their parents live in the hood and they moved out so they have no ties. If I was Asian or sum shyt it would be no shame, I see them living at home stacking up prolly but some money up and get a BMW m3 and their chillin. Anyone in this same position? What will you do?
I feel the same way, I'm just looking for a come-up :manny: I'm in school but it's still at least 2-3 years until I graduate. In the mean I'm trying to accumulate as many skills as I can and market myself so I can get a job when I do graduate.

I turn 21 this month and I feel like I gotta get something going for myself because I'm tired of living at home but it's hard in today's society to get out of that position when the economy is the way it is. It's forced alot of families to stay together longer than they used to.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Better to live comfortable with people you used to, then struggle with people you not. The time to move out will come some day. Just gotta make sure you keep stacking and ignore what the haters say. They ain't gonna help you pay the bills when they got bills if their own. I'm not black so I can't comment on that aspect but you gotta do what you gotta do to survive out there regardless.

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ol' putting your name on the orange juice and keeping your potato chips and cookies in ya bedroom ass knee grows. Get ya own shiit losers.

concise

Veteran
Daps
Find a partner who earns as much as or more than you do. Wed, combine resources, and rent and/or buy real estate with HER.

--> aq out <--

this is starting to look like the move, isn't it? :heh:

get married, brehs.

Gang$tarr

sohh coli since 2001
Daps
I gotta help my parents too, were east euro immigrants in sauga. They just retired (my dads broken from busting his ass at a factory) don't have shyt for savings and they were 40 when we immigrated so they barely get enough money to pay the bills. It's just wut we gotta do. Taking care of your fam n staying at home ain't shameful in my culture, the canadians/americans that just toss their fam in the bushes are shameful. I got no respect for them so I don't give a fukk wut those idiots think. We building while those goofs throw money away for rent to scrape by, they're not ahead of u.