The American Society Of Magical Negroes

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps

As a trope, the term Magical Negro was popularized in 2001 by film director Spike Lee while discussing films with students during a tour of college campuses, in which he said Hollywood continued to employ this premise while expressing dismay. He also said that the films The Green Mile and The Legend of Bagger Vance used the "super-duper magical Negro".[3][4][5][6] Critics use the word "Negro" because it is considered archaic in modern English. This underlines their message that a "magical black character" who goes around selflessly helping white people is a throwback to stereotypes such as the "Sambo" or "noble savage".[2]

Spike Lee is a national treasure

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How was it

It was OK. I went on a a dinner/movie date with my lady and honestly found out about this flick today because I seen the trailer on 📺 today.

Would I recommend you to see it @ the movies? No I wouldn't. But, if you are bored and wanna do something with a woman, then y'all can ✅ it out...

I will say that this movie definitely reminded me of this message board! 😂 The main character seem to fit the archetype of what ppl here would call a true blue Coli Breh. He fit the profile and stereotype of a Coli Breh and also reminded me of Caleb Williams but a lil nerdier...

Slimkid07

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yea, I just saw it too.
It lowkey has some cool elements to it but it's dead on arrival because of the interracial love story, biracial lead, and the preachy moments.
I don't know who the audience is or this.

It could have been a better film if it wasn't too on the nose, upped the comedic tone, and delivered the messages with more subtlety.

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H
Yea, I just saw it too.
It lowkey has some cool elements to it but it's dead on arrival because of the interracial love story, biracial lead, and the preachy moments.
I don't know who the audience is or this.

It could have been a better film if it wasn't too on the nose, upped the comedic tone, and delivered the messages with more subtlety.
And what is the message?