The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross - 6 Part PBS Series (Tuesdays at 8PM beginning Oct. 22)

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
i watched a good portion of the episode last night after finding out about it on my own... it was ok :ehh: i pretty much saw the story of frederick douglass and the underground railroad, which isn't anything brand new :shaq2: i was hoping for something a bit more obscure.

I'll have to read through this thread in full, because I see people are pissed about it apparently highlighting Africans' role in the slave trade. Maybe I need to see it for myself to understand the outrage, but brehs... that just is what it is :manny: I'd hope it pointed out that this was done by warring tribes that felt no connection to one another, you know, the same way various WHITE cultures have a history of battling/taking each other as prisoners of war. It should really shed light on how how white people as outsiders took advantage of this common trend, but again, either way, it happened :yeshrug: if you're going to tell the story you might as well tell it right.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
I'm sayin, Skip Gates can provide some good info with his programs. I just think it's important to note the parts in which there's severe oversimplification bordering on some sick bias. Hell, we've hardly studied the slave trade in full, the experience of Africans in the Arab Slave trade was vastly different from the European. Not to mention, slavery in Africa itself was completely different and served a totally different function from its European counterpart(counterpart is extremely generous to say in such a comparison) so I don't think we should totally dismiss the works of Skip Gates, but rather recognize the bullshyt when it comes and take in the gems.

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
i

I'll have to read through this thread in full, because I see people are pissed about it apparently highlighting Africans' role in the slave trade. Maybe I need to see it for myself to understand the outrage, but brehs... that just is what it is :manny: I'd hope it pointed out that this was done by warring tribes that felt no connection to one another, you know, the same way various WHITE cultures have a history of battling/taking each other as prisoners of war. It should really shed light on how how white people as outsiders took advantage of this common trend, but again, either way, it happened :yeshrug: if you're going to tell the story you might as well tell it right.

That's exactly what he said,which is why i don't see any way nikkas should be mad about it.Facts are facts.

No one is denying Africans sold each other into slavery. What we are debating is the idea of blacks and white being somehow 50/50 in the cupability of the African Slave trade.

As a high level kewn in the order of the illuminati, he's only allowed so much room.

It's not 50/50 split in terms of culpability ,however if Africans weren't so willing to sell their "brothers" to the Europeans shyt might've looked a little differently back then.A lot of people believe whites came in and just took Africans on some straight debo shyt that's why i don't don't have a problem with Gates highlighting it the way he did. The only pass i'll give the Africans is that i doubt they understood the European model for slavery so they really didn't know what they were selling their "brothers" off into....and even then i'm not even sure if they would even given a fukk if they did find out what was happening in the west.

PartyHeart

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Didn't even know about this! Haven't had a chance to watch yet but will come back to comment when I do. Thanks for the tag @Serious

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
that shot out to Mound Bayou was cool

I like how he pointed out that it was the SLAVES that made the Civil War about slavery. We forced the U.S. hands to give us our freedom if you wanted to win the war.

That was a huge statement

Last edited:

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Gates is a clown and milking this whole African American experience documentary genre. I saw his other series about Black in Latin America and the one finding his lineage. nikka was happy to find white in his blood line.

yea he was delighted, still some truth in his stuff so sift through the garbage and get the gems

Ezigbo Nwanyi

From the East
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Home of Dr. Michael Okpara & GeneralAguiyi-Ironsi
No one is denying Africans part in slavery. Throughout history battling tribes on continents beyond Africa have enslaved the losing tribes in a form of indentured servitude. Europeans were the ones who introduced chattel slavery, life long bondage, land of nowhere.... which were unknown to African chiefs who participated in this trade. Which is why when Africans found this out they refused and these same people they traded with began enslaving the same chiefs they swap goods with.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
:gladbron:

they actually told the real story of the Black Panthers & how the FBI destroyed it