Essential The Africa the Media Doesn't Tell You About

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps

Exclusive: $700 million raw cash found in Petroleum Minister’s house, Jonathan covers up
BY NEWSPUNCH ON JANUARY 25, 2015BREAKING NEWS, CRIME, HOME, NEWS, REPORT

The type of stealing and corruption going on in the Federal Government of Nigeria is mind boggling.

Information available to newspunch.org suggests that a mind boggling sum of $700 million was allegedly found in the house of Nigeria’s Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison Madueke.

According to information from an impeccable source, the huge sum in foreign currency was discovered recently by some security agents while conducting a search of the house of one her aides who resides in the minister’s house, but who allegedly stole $10 million from the Minister.

Madueke, according to source admitted to the ownership of the huge sum of $700 million. “she must have kept that very particular money in her aide’s apartment, because the unnamed aide is said to be one of the trusted one among others”, our source stated.

It was further gathered that when this was reported to President Goodluck Jonathan, the president felt so sad and disappointed, he immediately invited Diezani Alison Madueke to his office for questioning and rebuked her severely.

President Jonathan asked the Minister “for God sake what are you doing with $700 million in your home?” Mrs . Madueke retorted “I am keeping the money for you”.

We gathered that President Jonathan just smiled and promptly asked her to go in peace.

President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration has been criticize by many Nigeria as being the most corrupt considering the president’s stance on corruption.

The Coalition Against Corrupt Leaders has chided President Goodluck Jonathan over his unwillingness to tackle corruption in the country.

According to the group, corruption is the biggest problem the country is facing, besides the Boko Haram insurgency.

CACOL’s Executive Chairman, Debo Adeniran, told SUNDAY PUNCH there was an urgent need to tackle the problem.

“It is a known fact that corruption is the greatest problem confronting our country Nigeria, thus if combated frontally, it would definitely put an end to many other challenges facing us as a people,” he said.

:scust:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
19 February 2015 Last updated at 19:01 ET
Nigeria's enterprising five-to-nine work ethic
By Nkem IfejikaBusiness reporter
_81115199_624_market2.jpg
Onitsha in Nigeria has one of the world's biggest markets
Nigeria has Africa's largest economy. It is mostly known for oil, but that wealth has not trickled down. As it joins the global economic top table, what kind of businesses and businesspeople are thriving in Africa's most populous nation?

"You're supposed to hold something," I was told. "Hold what?" I replied naively.

"A sample, you're supposed to hold a sample of what you're selling."

Amaka was wondering what a reporter holding a microphone was doing hanging around Onitsha's main market, neither buying nor selling. She looked at me with pity, as if to say, "if you don't even know about samples, you have a lot to learn."

I had been at the market for less than five minutes, and someone was already trying to get the measure of what my business was about.

There's plenty to learn about Nigeria in Onitsha, a city in Anambra state on the banks of the River Niger in the south-east of the country.

Something like three million people flock here every day, and some call it the biggest market in the world. They come from across the region, to buy everything from high-end mobile phones to low tech plastic containers.

What's your side hustle?
Everything is for sale, every price to be haggled, and everyone is involved. Take the market and replicate the buying and selling across millions of homes and offices across Nigeria.

Six Routes to...
_80111100_a_richer_world_logo_rgb(2).jpg

Every Nigerian is familiar with the concept of the side hustle - a business on the side. This is a country where everyone has a start-up in their front room, including my mother.

I'll never forget coming home from school to find the entire living and dining area stacked floor to ceiling with cartons of sunflower oil for sale.

It was my grandmother who'd taught my mum that if you were lucky enough to have a salaried job, that was just pocket money. The real money came from your five-to-nine, not the nine-to-five.

On the surface, Nigeria may not seem like a country that can teach the world much about how to do business.

Elections have been postponed because of the insurgency raging in the northeast. Corruption is still a huge problem. Government revenues depend on the oil and gas industry, which benefits the few.

_81111345_624_yellow-car.jpg
For many Nigerians, the five-to-nine is more important than the nine-to-five
Motorcycle king
But in Onitsha and elsewhere while making Six Routes for the BBC, the people I met show that the Nigerian economy is finding other lubricants.

Innocent Chukwuma is a successful businessman. He owns five different manufacturing companies around the south-east, and is very optimistic about Nigeria's future.

Looking out over his sprawling complex just down the road in Enugu, it's easy to see why. The government gave him land to expand his business and now he's probably the largest private sector employer in Enugu state. 4,300 people work at the plastics plant we visited.

"In Africa today anyone who can invest in manufacturing - in a short time you'll make money as you want," says Innocent.

Innocent started small. He was a spare parts trader in his native Nnewi. He had graduated from turning his brother's spare parts side business to establishing his own import venture.

As the prices of motorcycles coming in from Japan increased in the 1980s, he noticed something about the way they were shipped.

They were coming in by barge in containers. And being a spare parts trader he recognized that a motorcycle is made up of individual parts.

And so, he thought, if he imported the motorcycle in pieces it would take up a lot less space in the shipping container. And he was right.

At the time importers could fit about 40 pre-assembled motorcycles in a single shipping container. But as individual parts, Innocent could fit more than 200 motorcycles in each container. He now had a significant advantage over his competitors - and could sell his motorcycles for much less.

_81111182_624_innocent-as-a-motocycle.jpg
Importing bikes unassembled gave Innocent a key price advantage
Labour costs
Another advantage he had over his competitors was the cost of labour in Nigeria being relatively cheap. A factory worker in Nigeria would earn around $500 a month.

He explains, "When I brought the first one I called the local people, and gave them some training, they assembled it perfectly and the price was cheaper."

Much cheaper in fact: "When they are selling for about 150,000 [naira] for one motorcycle, I sold my own for 80,000 ($400; £260)."

Innocent's bikes were nearly half the price of his competitors. He sold three containers' worth of motorcycles in about three months.

"So I went back and brought about 10 containers, and the 10 containers took me about one month to finish."

By the time he had the process down he was buying 200 containers.

But Innocent's advantage didn't last forever, and soon everyone was copying his strategy.

"The price crashed to 60,000 but when I saw that the price had come down and everybody was doing it - that's why I built this plastic plant."

Motorcycles were just the beginning for Innocent. He had another realization, that he could manufacture some of the motorcycle parts himself. Specifically the plastic parts.

_81111339_624_maybe-innocent-in-facto.jpg
Innocent's business now makes a range of plastic goods
Power cuts
The Innoson Group now makes all kinds of products. His motorcycle business has expanded to cars and buses while his plastics plants now manufacture tables, chairs, water drums, plates, boxes for electricity meters, and much else.

He believes anyone can follow his lead in Africa, which he refers to as a virgin place for entrepreneurs. Innocent's optimism is infectious and it's easy to get swept up in the euphoria of success, but business in Nigeria is not easy.

Back in Onitsha market it's also a microcosm of the obstacles entrepreneurs face every day.

The day I was there the traders were protesting against a new levy. The trade association decided to charge for a CCTV system, which the traders said the state governor had given them for free. It's the sort of surprise cost that wrecks a business plan.

But corruption is not even the biggest problem in Nigeria. Other countries have thrived despite corruption, and Nigeria shouldn't be different.

The lights go out constantly and nobody bats an eyelid or feigns surprise, everyone just carries on.

_81111313_624_kiln.jpg
High energy costs are a limiting factor for many Nigerian businesses
'Credit tomorrow'
People make do with costly diesel generators, and that even applies to big factories.

For Innocent the high cost of energy is a necessary part of doing business in Nigeria. But it puts a real brake on what entrepreneurs can achieve.

The people I met are not put off by these obstacles. If you walk into some shops in Nigeria, there's a sign which reads: "No credit today, come back tomorrow."

If you keep waiting for the perfect conditions in which to do business, you'll be like the shopper who returns day after day, hoping that the shopkeeper might sell them goods on credit.

Listen to more about Nigeria's economy on Saturday 21 February at 08:30 GMT on the BBC World Service

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Mother-in-law jokes in Mogadishu: satirist shows other side of Somalia
Ugaaso Boocow’s Instagram account has 50,000 followers and aims to bring light relief to a country returning to life after the trauma of war

34e2b625-d56a-4bc5-95c5-a6b334258f19-540x324.jpeg

Ugaaso Boocow, above, posts everything from social satires of Somali family life to photos of Mogadishu on Instagram. Photograph: Ugaaso Boocow/Instagram

A mother is justifying her son’s divorce, absolving him from all blame. “These girls of 2014 are wasteful youths,” she says, talking on the phone and shaking her head. “The one my son Weheliye was married to, all that one knew of cooking was cornflakes. I told him: ‘Divorce this one, she’s garbage!’ Now you should see how he’s put on weight and has gotten more handsome.”

The comedy video cuts to a singing, dancing young man with model looks and a six pack. The humour is universal but also very specific: the sketch, “How Somali mother-in-laws justify their son’s divorce”, is the work of a young Somali woman bringing light relief to a country traumatised by war.

Ugaaso Boocow, 27, is becoming one of the country’s first social media stars with more than 50,000 followers on Instagram. She posts everything from social satires of Somali family life to photos of Mogadishu’s buildings, beaches and restaurants as the city slowly heals. There are also glamorous pictures of Boocow herself in brightly coloured hijabs, including a recent one from Valentine’s Day featuring her husband with flowers and teddy bear.

https://instagram.com/p/xEu9ENMR6M/?utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=video

“Comedy, like any form of art, is a way to tell a story,” she said. “I’m just telling a lighthearted story but comedy has a way of showing you your flaws and what’s wrong with society. You’re laughing at it knowingly because it’s true.”

Boocow is among thousands of Somali expats who have returned home since the Islamist militant group al-Shabaab was prised from Mogadishu in 2011. She was two years old when she left for Canada with her grandmother in the early 1990s as the country descended into two decades of civil war and chaos. Her parents divorced at a young age and, while her father also moved to Canada, her mother stayed behind.

Somalia itself. “I was very happy to come back. I’d decided to come and see it with my own eyes. When I saw the ruined buildings, I felt hope that we could rebuild them. I had zero memories but storytelling has a way of putting pictures in your head. I felt like I belonged. I did not feel like an outsider. Even though I didn’t know the streets, I felt like I knew where I was going.”

https://instagram.com/p/xRmFfWMR8w/

Mogadishu is in the throes of a construction boom with money pouring in from Turkey and other donors and a dawning sense of hope, despite recent setbacks such as the suicide bombing of a hotel.

“It’s a moment where you have to take advantage of what’s happening here,” mused Boocow, who fell in love and married soon after arriving. “Since I arrived here I haven’t heard a single bullet go off and I’ve only heard one explosion. But my father has a completely different perspective. He’s really scared and doesn’t want to come to Somalia.”

When Boocow searched for Somalia on Instagram, she would be met by images of cows, sheep and grass. She took up her camera and set about showing a different side, snapping dishes of food and the haunting beauty of Mogadishu’s many half-collapsed buildings. “I think people are hungry for these things, like me.

“Al-Shabaab are still roaming around freely and people generally don’t like to have their faces photographed, so I take pictures of the ruins. They make me nostalgic. I remember my grandmother’s stories: this used to be a university or that used to be a prominent edifice. It makes me imagine how the city would have looked if the war didn’t happen.”

If I don’t think it’s right, I have a responsibility to speak against it, for example by using comedy

She is also making the tongue-in-cheek videos in which she performs in Somali sprinkled with Arabic, Italian and English. The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. “It makes me happy that I make people laugh. They write to me and say they can relate to it. I was so surprised I have an audience here in Mogadishu. Quite recently a girl here contacted me to ask if I could be her wedding photographer. The minister of finance came up to my husband and said, ‘I love your wife’s videos, tell her to keep up the good work!’”

Yet Boocow, who works as a civil servant, admitted: “I’m extremely reserved in real life and very shy. I get very embarrassed when people come up and say: ‘I love that video you did.’”

Many of the sketches focus on the character of a Somali mother and say something about the role of women in society. Boocow explained: “Inside the household the woman is revered but the moment she gets ambitious and wants to go into the political sphere, it’s: ‘No, you can’t do that.’

“They think women have a certain place in the culture. If I don’t think it’s right, I have a responsibility to speak against it, for example by using comedy. I’m not banging a drum; it’s always goofy and silly and not serious, but it should be taken seriously.”

Her next ambition is to organise a comedy night. Laughter is a much-needed medicine in Somalia, she believes, after the long years when all roads led to despair. “Somalis have a great sense of humour. They’re able to laugh at each other and with each other. Somalis will make fun of you but they don’t want you to take it in a vicious way. If you have a big nose, for instance, they’ll give a nickname like ‘Mr Longnose’ and use it every time they see you.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...omen-ugaaso-boocow-instagram?CMP=share_btn_tw

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
FEATURE: 'EXO: THE LEGEND OF WALE WILLIAMS' GRAPHIC NOVEL AND ANIMATED FILM ABOUT NIGERIAN SUPERHEROES
bannercomic.jpg

Check out 'EXO: The Legend of Wale Williams', a graphic novel and animated feature film set to be released later this year - created by Nigerian born Roye Okupe (Owner/Creative Director at YouNeek Studios). Set in the year 2025, in the fictional Nigerian city of Lagoon (modeled after the Nigerian city Lagos), a young man named Wale Williams inherits a suit with super powers after his father goes missing and uses the suit to battle against the terror attacks of a sociopathic extremist. Regarding the project, Okupe says: "From the first day I laid my eyes on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoons in the 80’s, I’ve been hooked on superheroes. Since then, I've watched, played and read every single superhero-related title I could lay my hands on: movies, comics, manga, anime, graphic novels, animated movies/series, video games etc. And then in 2008, after noticing there wasn't a lot of diversity in the genre, I decided to tell a story about a hero from Nigeria. Hopefully, EXO fulfills my goal of adding something unique to the industry”. Check out some images below; plus a trailer for the upcoming film.

FEATURE: 'EXO: THE LEGEND OF WALE WILLIAMS' GRAPHIC NOVEL AND ANIMATED FILM ABOUT NIGERIAN SUPERHEROES

By Alexander Aplerku, AFROPUNK Contributor

ExomodeSheet.png

EX0 (Wale Williams)

FURY

ONIKU

exospread.jpg

IMG_4340.png

* http://youneekstudios.com/exo
http://www.afropunk.com/profiles/blogs/feature-exo-the-legend-of-wale-williams-graphic-novel-and

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
they just built the light rail system in Addis Ababa and nikkas have already gone full ratchet. :snoop:

10987692_10205181539590975_6496737624625364057_n.jpg

And Nigeria stays taking Ls

Ethiopian light-rail (geared towards locomotive travel in cities) is far different from Nigeria's efforts to build a railway system that'll travel between various Nigerian states. Also, China's rail construction projects in Nigeria may also go beyond commercial rail utilized for travel...

keepemup

Banned
Daps
Ethiopian light-rail (geared towards locomotive travel in cities) is far different from Nigeria's efforts to build a railway system that'll travel between various Nigerian states. Also, China's rail construction projects in Nigeria may also go beyond commercial rail utilized for travel...
Why couldn't the Special Assistant elucidate that? His reaction to the question isn't confidence inspiring.