Essential The Africa the Media Doesn't Tell You About

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
My friend that is only the tip of the iceberg. It gets sadder when the OP who posted that use to be very cool and was one of the few posters I liked because she was not as tribalistic but open minded. But for some reason she changed!:ohmy:

Now the site has moved on from not only bashing AAs and other Africans but also including Caribbeans! And AAs and Caribbeans go on that site to try and "kick it" with Nigerians. Truly unbelievable. The "nobody" poster is me. I deleted my account,

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Somalinet is :trash: and they got all their smilies from the coli lmao.

Horn of Africa is a shyt hole compared to South East Africa

by Batwing » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:35 am

Horta if we put our differences aside for a moment and see the bigger picture, it's frustrating to be Africa's butt of jokes and ridicule

Ethiopia : most citizens starving, corruption and brutal government
Eritea : literally a poor North Korea nuff said
Djibouti : no idea where they're heading
Somalia/Somaliland : starving skinnies with the least developed infrastructure stuck with Hunter gatherer mentality caused by unuka leh syndrome

Look at our neighbors down south bantu nations are way ahead of us through trade they scratch each other's back and by doing so they prosper

by PanSomaliNationalist » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:05 pm

I'd rather have all that and say I was never a slave

:rolleyes:

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
We'll I'm leaving today so I probably won't see them. But just see this thread. Straight up pathetic.
Why Do Caribbeans Think Their Situation Is Better Than Africa? - Culture - Nigeria
I've noticed anti Caribbean sentiment among U.K. African twitter . Must be jealousy

Somalinet is :trash: and they got all their smilies from the coli lmao.

Horn of Africa is a shyt hole compared to South East Africa

:rolleyes:
:what:I say we leave east Africa to fend for themselves

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
@KidStranglehold - Just found out tonight that relatives were trying to finesse mom out of money.

Anyway, a lot of Nigerians are very immoral. Also, most of them are hypocrites. Nigerians aren't smart per se, but they are cunning...

I actually think Nigerians are nice to Af-Ams. Do you see how Fulanis treat Tiv? How Yorubas treat Igbos? How Igbos speak of Hausas?
:mjpls:
Nigerians don't know what racism is. They only know tribalism. If you told them about white supremacy, they'd smile and say "Aheennn. Okay. But my junior brother from Awka is rich in Texas!"
:lolbron:

Nigeria can't be fixed in part because of Nigerians. They don't value African life. No matter where it's from.:mjgrin:

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Somalia's first female presidential aspirant assumes watchdog role after pullout

1024x576_353388.jpg

Ismail Akwei 27/12 - 13:19

SOMALIA

The first woman to express interest in becoming the next president of Somalia has now decided to serve the country as an anti-corruption watchdog following her pullout from the contest.

44-year-old Fadumo Dayib announced her pullout to Africanews which she blamed on the “unparalleled corruption and rigging” taking place in Somalia.

“I do not want to legitimize something that is unconstitutional. First of all, the 4.5 apartheid clan-based system is unconstitutional,” she said on Tuesday citing an unequal level field and disregard of rule of law.

Fadumo accused the “heavily funded” incumbent president and prime minister of being busy rigging the system using state resources and apparatus to fund their own campaigns.

She condemned the additional 18 seats added to the Upper House of Parliament as unconstitutional.

“What this will call for is that the MPs and Senators will be paid a salary of 1 million dollars every month. This is a country where over 73% of the population lives on less that 2 dollars a day. How are we going to afford 1 million dollars every month for our Upper and Lower house,” she said.

She explained that her attempt to contest despite the clan-based system which has been in place since 1990 was due to a compromise on her part to see if it can lead to a democratic election in 2020.

“But what I have seen on the ground is inconsistent with the constitution. The means doesn’t justify the end and this can lead to fresh conflict,” she warned, adding “people are buying senatorial seats for $1.3 million and others are willing to pay half a million to enter politics”.

Fadumo Dayib said the presidential candidates “outside the establishment” do not stand a chance of winning the election unless they adhere to her proposal of a coalition to rally behind one person.

“This is the only way the current establishment can be challenged and the two incumbents stopped. Unfortunately that wasn’t forthcoming,” she decried.

“I will be the watchdog, the whistle-blower, that the country badly needs. I have assigned myself as Somalia’s independent anti-corruption Czar. My base will continue to be in Somalia as well Kenya,” Fadumo Dayib stated.

For now, Somalia has only one female aspirant in the race. She is Somali-American medical clinic interpreter Anab Dahir who is based in the United States.

Somalia's first female presidential aspirant assumes watchdog role after pullout

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
After long years of being on that site(though I was in a long hiatus) I finally deleted my account on Nairaland. When visiting the site the tribalism, c00nism and overall self-hate/insecurity was too much. No offense @MansaMusa but why does your people have such a simple, arrogant and naive viewpoint of AAs and American racism? Yes, many immigrant groups have this viewpoint but Nigerians do the MOST. :ohmy:

They literally believe AAs are responsible for all our problems and think all we do is blame white people. I need answers my man...

Nigerians have a false sense of superiority more so than any group of Africans I have met in the US. They like to take the success of a few overachievers in business academia and other fields and somehow brand it as a Nigerian phenomenon or as something inherently indigenous to Nigerians yet you look at Nigeria today it's not a pleasant place to live for the overwhelming majority of the population (I worked there on assignment)

Every country in Africa has some of its citizens doing well in the diaspora but I always see the progression of a country socially, politically and economically as the ultimate litmus test of a culture and people not Dangote and oil tyc00ns as references.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Nigerians have a false sense of superiority more so than any group of Africans I have met in the US. They like to take the success of a few overachievers in business academia and other fields and somehow brand it as a Nigerian phenomenon or as something inherently indigenous to Nigerians yet you look at Nigeria today it's not a pleasant place to live for the overwhelming majority of the population (I worked there on assignment)

Every country in Africa has some of its citizens doing well in the diaspora but I always see the progression of a country socially, politically and economically as the ultimate litmus test of a culture and people not Dangote and oil tyc00ns as references.

Business oligarchs like Dangote and Elemulu succeed because they're able to access special patronage from the Nigerian state. Although, their actions cause a lot of harms to the Nigerian consumer.

Example - Nigerians and the Dangote cement monopoly

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
@KidStranglehold - Just found out tonight that relatives were trying to finesse mom out of money.

Anyway, a lot of Nigerians are very immoral. Also, most of them are hypocrites. Nigerians aren't smart per se, but they are cunning...

I actually think Nigerians are nice to Af-Ams. Do you see how Fulanis treat Tiv? How Yorubas treat Igbos? How Igbos speak of Hausas?
:mjpls:
Nigerians don't know what racism is. They only know tribalism. If you told them about white supremacy, they'd smile and say "Aheennn. Okay. But my junior brother from Awka is rich in Texas!"
:lolbron:

Nigeria can't be fixed in part because of Nigerians. They don't value African life. No matter where it's from.:mjgrin:

Sorry for the late reply Mansamusa. Was busy taking my trip but I'm in Ethiopia right.:myman:

Anyways... I think the bolded is VERY true. And whenever I or someone brings up white supremacy in America on Nairaland many Nigerians see it as blacks in America trying to blame whites They truly and I mean TRULY believe most if not all the problems blacks in America faces are our fault. They truly believe we are responsible for all our problems since slavery. Me and other open minded blacks tried informing them but they chose to ignore it all. Just see the convo in the thread I linked.

And yeah maybe Nigerians are nicer to AAs because the way they go in on their fellow countrymen is just downright sad. And I mean it. Yeah you'll find some Nigerians like you and some I knew on Nairaland that are open minded and are for ethnic unity but most are on that hardcore tribal sh*t.

And crazy they tried to finesse your mom.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Modest Recovery Expected for African Economies After Tough 2016

December 27, 2016 7:15 PM
Anita Powell

B8E9F50D-CFE0-42A1-A8BD-2DBDF794D2CD_cx0_cy10_cw0_w987_r1_s_r1.jpg

A view of the Oluwole Urban Market in the central business district, near Marina in Lagos, Nigeria, Dec. 13, 2016

JOHANNESBURG — 2016 was predicted to be a tough year for African economies, and it delivered.

Traditional economic leaders faltered this year amid a storm of falling commodity prices, unpredictable and destructive weather like droughts and floods across large swaths of the the continent. Slow economic growth in China, a major investor and trading partner, only added to their challenges.

“This year, you’ve seen the two Africas: the commodity exporters going through tough times, while the non-commodity exporters being more resilient,” Nigerian economist Nonso Obikili, who researches Nigerian and sub-Saharan economic trends for Economic Research Southern Africa, told VOA.

A5091D01-D9FA-4D63-B5E7-7E3072486AF5_w610_r0_s.jpg

FILE - A Shell employee is seen aboard an oil vessel off the coast of Nigeria in this December 26, 2011, file photo.

He says 2016 has been hard on African commodity giants as oil prices fell to lows not seen since the global financial crisis of 2008. Resource-rich economies like Nigeria, Angola and Mozambique foundered. Nigeria battled its highest rates of inflation in 11 years.

Politics also took their toll this past year — notably in South Africa, which has seen growing tensions over scandal-plagued President Jacob Zuma. The economy in the third quarter followed Zuma’s descent in popularity, falling from 3.3 percent in the second quarter to a near-standstill of 0.2 percent growth in the third quarter, according to the nation’s statistics agency.

CB182E6F-946E-4B82-AFE7-6C6C874A6510_w610_r0_s.jpg

FILE - A cow is seen near the AngloAmerican sign board outside the Mogalakwena platinum mine in Mokopane, north-western part of South Africa , Limpopo province, May 18, 2016.

Ghana's economic woes contributed to President John Dramani Mahama's defeat in December elections. He will be a one-term president. And falling commodity prices helped turn an election in the copper-rich nation of Zambia into a bitter contest, with the unsuccessful challenger running on a promise to fix the ailing economy.

And there were some other surprises. Mozambique’s parliament uncovered at least $1.4 billion in undisclosed government debt that the World Bank estimates halved the nation’s economic growth rate and dropped foreign investment by about 17 percent.

Meanwhile, nations conventionally seen as being resource-poor, like Ethiopia and Rwanda, maintained higher growth rates — as high as an estimated eight percent in agriculture-heavy Ethiopia, despite the nation’s worst drought in decades — according to the World Bank.

That growth, said World Bank Ethiopia country director Carolyn Turk, “is impressive especially compared to previous drought situations which often resulted in economic contraction.”

Martyn Davies, managing director of emerging markets and Africa at Deloitte, says these successful African economies focus on expanding and diversifying their economies to attract foreign investment.

He said Kenya remains a regional leader.

6651DD36-21C8-4176-B4F7-99938632AAFE_w610_r0_s.jpg

FILE - A container of green coffee beans from Ethiopia is unloaded at the Nespresso production plant, part of food giant Nestle, in Romont, Switzerland, Aug. 30, 2016.

“Tanzania is looking somewhat more competitive, largely because of global shifts," he added. Davies said that Ethiopia also has strong growth trajectory despite political issues in the country.

He also said that Rwanda, which he described as an agile economy, is one of the easiest places to do business in Africa.

Major economic institutions predict some improvement in African economies in 2017 as global commodity prices are expected to rise, but Obikili says commodity exporters also need to improve their economic policies.

63B358EE-278D-48E5-BAC4-EAE4BBE2DD93_w610_r0_s.jpg

FILE - A general view Luanda, Angola's capital is seen in this picture taken May 15, 2015.

“For Nigeria, Angola, Mozambique, getting the basics right in 2017 is very, very important. Getting back to a functional monetary market is very important. Getting back to credibility in terms of the debt issue is very important. So if they get the basics right, then there is a possibility that at least things will start to pick up in 2017,” he said. “... If they don’t, then it might get worse.”

But Davies is less optimistic that resource-dependent countries can change tack at this point.

“I’m afraid now, from a policy perspective, it’s all too late,” he said. “And African economies, by and large, many of them remain price takers rather than price setters. And diversification is essentially about the the skills you have in our economy. Innovation, wealth creation, diversification ultimately follows people. If you’re not creating domestic talent or at least attracting foreign talent into your country, you’re effectively going nowhere.”

Governments do appear to be listening.

Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari, for one, has made repeated pledges over the past year to end the country's oil dependence. But diversification doesn't happen overnight. Economists say it may take a year, or more, for Nigeria to rebound from 2016, and as much as a generation to really break free from crude.

Modest Recovery Expected for African Economies After Tough 2016

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
'Stop Farm Invasions'

December 30 2016
By Elita Chikwati

00161494:6e9c97816017532334045b0569f0aff6:arc614x376:w285:us1.png

Few remaining white farmers are being attacked in fresh land invasion crisis in Zimbabwe (file photo).

Government has ordered people to stop fresh farm occupations as they scare away investors eyeing the agriculture sector.

Presenting the 2017 National Budget recently, Finance and Economic Development Minister, Patrick Chinamasa, said farmers should instead of invading land, concentrate on increasing production to ensure national food security.

"With the Fast Track Land Reform having been concluded, there is need to cease further farm invasions to allow existing farmers to focus on production," he said.

Continuous land invasions threaten existing farmers and scare away potential on-farm investment, that way undermining the restoration of the country's bread basket status.

"There is disappointment on non-utilisation of the vast tracts of land under most Government institutions, which requires urgent attention, given food security concerns.

He said Government was encouraging joint ventures to ensure maximum utilisation of land and increase food production.

Parastatals are now being encouraged to venture into partnerships to ensure maximum use of land.

"The requirement for increased utilisation of idle agriculture land has seen the Agricultural Rural Development Authority targeting to increase utilisation of land from 15 832 hectares to 43 547 hectares for both crop and livestock production during 2017, through joint venture partnerships", said Minister Chinamasa.

"Similarly, with regards to other institutional farms belonging to Prisons, the Defence Forces and the Police, a total of 5 410 hectares have been contracted to produce maize under Command Agriculture. This is over and above other initiatives being implemented in conjunction with selected partners."

Meanwhile, Government has paid $56,8 million since the adoption of the multi-currency system to white former commercial farmers for compensation for land acquired during the land reform programme.

"Government remains committed to honouring its obligations with regards to farms acquired under the Land Reform Programme, said Minister Chinamasa.

"In this regard, since the adoption of the multi-currency system, Government has paid a total of $56,8 million."

Minister Chinamasa said agricultural production required long-term investment, which was compensated for by long pay-back periods.

He urged farmers to fully utilise their land, saying there was need for meaningful investment to anchor increased agricultural productivity.

‘Stop farm invasions’

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Angola and Zambia connected by river canal

DECEMBER 29TH, 2016
folder-gray.gif
HOME
tag-gray.gif
ANGOLA

macauhub.29.12.2016.470.jpg

Construction of a canal 10 kilometres long, 34 metres wide and 3 metres deep on the River Kwando will be completed in the first half of 2017, Angolan minister of Transport, Augusto da Silva Tomás told state newspaper Jornal de Angola.

The canal between the capital of the municipality of Rivungo and Shangombo in Zambia will promote trade between the two countries, and the connection will have two passenger ships with a capacity of 25 people each and two cargo vessels with a capacity of 10 tonnes each.

The minister, who visited the municipality, said the project ensures greater mobility and safety during navigation and fosters trade, political, cultural and social exchange between the people of both countries.

The canal may also be beneficial for tourism by allowing “tourists from Zambia to come into Angola through Rivungo, in order to enjoy the beauties of the Okavango-Zambezi cross-border tourism project and provide more revenue for the country,” he added.

The canal will also improve social conditions, with the creation of jobs, provide personal income and tax revenues, increase trade and services to minimise the problems of people living along the border.

This project, which was carried out by a South African company, includes the acquisition of equipment for signalling, search and rescue, staff training and the construction of piers on both sides for loading and unloading passengers and goods. (macauhub)

Angola and Zambia connected by river canal

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
My friend that is only the tip of the iceberg. It gets sadder when the OP who posted that use to be very cool and was one of the few posters I liked because she was not as tribalistic but open minded. But for some reason she changed!:ohmy:

Now the site has moved on from not only bashing AAs and other Africans but also including Caribbeans! And AAs and Caribbeans go on that site to try and "kick it" with Nigerians. Truly unbelievable. The "nobody" poster is me. I deleted my account,

lol and folks think I`m "hating" when I speak about Nigerians.