The '24 NY Mets. You're on the clock Cohen.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
The Mets should be selling.

The fact is this team is old and largely untalented. Alvarez, Baty and Alonso are the only regulars under Age-30, and Alonso is 29. It's unlikely Alonso is still around when this team becomes a realistic threat -- or if he is, it's unlikely he'll still be a great player.

Frankly, Baty isn't that good. But there's hope that Alvarez develops into an above-average hitting catcher.

On paper, this is maybe a wildcard team. I can understand why a rich guy like Cohen might want to keep throwing money around in the hopes of catching lightning in a bottle, but it's unlikely to happen.

This isn't what fans want to hear in April but it's obvious to any objective observer. That said, I've made other predictions about the Mets over the past few years, all of which have come true, and all of which are conveniently ignored by the Mets faithful.

See you boys in October, when I'm right again.
Your "told you so" moment didn't work in 2024. :mjlol:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What's this got to do with the Braves? The Mets had no designs on winning the division this year just make the WC. You were talking about selling in April. It's your fault but not for the reason you stated.
The reason the Mets are in the hunt is somewhat connected to the Braves' collapse.

But let's just revisit that comment from earlier.

Baty still hasn't shown that he's that good.
Alvarez still hasn't shown that he's that good.
And Alonso is still more of an above-average power threat than a true MVP caliber player.

What is fair to say is that I underestimated just how good and consistent Francisco Lindor would be over these past few years. And he's not just okay. He's legitimately one of the best SS in the game in 2024. I'll hold that L.

Have the Mets really turned this thing around or are they just on a really good hot streak for 6 weeks? Likely a combination of the two.
I'm not sure the Mets can really hang their hat on Jose Iglesias being absolutely on fire for the past month. But let's see.

Let's just make sure we see eye-to-eye here. Because I'm quite happy to answer for my predictions being wrong. So if you guys want to tag me when the Mets are hot, keep that same energy if I start coming in here in September and October and I wind up being right.

😘

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
The reason the Mets are in the hunt is somewhat connected to the Braves' collapse.

But let's just revisit that comment from earlier.

Baty still hasn't shown that he's that good.
Alvarez still hasn't shown that he's that good.
And Alonso is still more of an above-average power threat than a true MVP caliber player.

What is fair to say is that I underestimated just how good and consistent Francisco Lindor would be over these past few years. And he's not just okay. He's legitimately one of the best SS in the game in 2024. I'll hold that L.

Have the Mets really turned this thing around or are they just on a really good hot streak for 6 weeks? Likely a combination of the two.
I'm not sure the Mets can really hang their hat on Jose Iglesias being absolutely on fire for the past month. But let's see.

Let's just make sure we see eye-to-eye here. Because I'm quite happy to answer for my predictions being wrong. So if you guys want to tag me when the Mets are hot, keep that same energy if I start coming in here in September and October and I wind up being right.

😘
Here's the eye to eye on what you got wrong:
  • The Mets shouldn't be selling that was the main idea of that post. We at the trading deadline and they definitely are buying and the consensus is they should be. You were wrong, there's nothing to revisit in September./Oct. because you didn't make a prediction about the end of the year just what they should do at the deadline.
  • You're so tapped into Mets prospects you failed to mention Vientos? What happened?
  • You said the team isn't very talented but are tied for most players with a OPS+ over 100.
  • And Iglesias isn't even a starting player, he's a bench player. No one is hanging their hat on him.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Here's the eye to eye on what you got wrong:
  • The Mets shouldn't be selling that was the main idea of that post. We at the trading deadline and they definitely are buying and the consensus is they should be. You were wrong, there's nothing to revisit in September./Oct. because you didn't make a prediction about the end of the year just what they should do at the deadline.
  • You're so tapped into Mets prospects you failed to mention Vientos? What happened?
  • You said the team isn't very talented but are tied for most players with a OPS+ over 100.
  • And Iglesias isn't even a starting player, he's a bench player. No one is hanging their hat on him.
1. I absolutely still think the Mets should be selling. They're hot right now. But the rotation isn't very good and if they don't get Soto in the winter, the lineup will regress to what it has been for the past few years.

2. Vientos has a 29.5% strikeout rate over the past 30 days. It's highly likely that his .803 OPS over that time is a mirage.

3. Uh, okay? The Yankees are 3rd in MLB in OBP this season. There are still massive holes with that ball club. The point is, individual metrics need more context.

4. Iglesias has been starting fairly regularly since June 1st, and that coincides with the Mets current hot streak (30-15 in that time). That's not to say he's the reason they're winning, but he has played a considerable role.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I mean look...

The Mets are hot right now. They swept the Yankees. They're in the playoff hunt.
Mets fans have lots of reasons to be excited.

There's no denying that.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
1. I absolutely still think the Mets should be selling. They're hot right now. But the rotation isn't very good and if they don't get Soto in the winter, the lineup will regress to what it has been for the past few years.

2. Vientos has a 29.5% strikeout rate over the past 30 days. It's highly likely that his .803 OPS over that time is a mirage.

3. Uh, okay? The Yankees are 3rd in MLB in OBP this season. There are still massive holes with that ball club. The point is, individual metrics need more context.

4. Iglesias has been starting fairly regularly since June 1st, and that coincides with the Mets current hot streak (30-15 in that time). That's not to say he's the reason they're winning, but he has played a considerable role.
  1. You are wrong, they are not doing that and most people don't think they should. That's a very minority opinion.
  2. More predictions? Dude, I don't care what you think is going to happen. I'm talking about what is actually happening. Vientos is a 100+ OPS player. And you didn't see it coming. The end.
  3. OK?! You said they didn't have a lot of talent. They got the most players playing above avg. right now. You were wrong, again. lol
  4. He's only playing regularly now because Marte is currently hurt and he played when McNeil was benched for a week. Other than that no, he doesn't play regularly.