The 17 Best Black Sitcoms From The ’90s - How good were these shows?

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
http://www.buzzfeed.com/diamondcoleman/the-17-best-black-sitcoms-from-the-90s

It's all on one page so you don't have to keep clicking.

The only shows from these I watched were Smart Guy, Sister, Sister, Fresh Prince, Cosby Show and Family Matters. I slightly remember Moesha cause of Brandy.

Now my greatest show of all time is Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and although I'm an early 90s cat and was young while the episodes were running, this is probably one of the most syndicated shows on TV, hence why I've seen it thousands of times. I can name the episode 15 seconds in. To your older heads, how big was Fresh Prince of Bel-Air at the time it was running? Was it a big thing in pop culture? The most anticipated show of the week? etc

Seems like UPN and WB were eating off black sitcoms back then. However, I don't recall these shows as much, might have seen a few episodes but doubt I could tell you what they were about due to the lack of them being on TV. Doubt any of them are syndicated at the moment. .

Malcolm and Eddie
The Sinbad Show
The Hughleys
The Steve Harvey Show
The Wayans Bros
Martin :yeshrug:(Hope I dont get negged but I never even seen Martin, that shyt was never syndicated either yet some of yall make it seem better than Fresh Prince.)

I didn't even know LL Cool J had a tv show with Carlton in it :ohhh:

And here's a top 25 Complex did last year

http://ca.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/02/best-black-sitcoms/

So discuss those 90 sitcoms I mentioned I've never seen and others you might consider classics you old muhfukkas

EDIT: Just read House of Payne is the longest running black sitcom. WTF. Never watched that before either.

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The Steve Harvey Show needs to be way higher.

And House of Payne isn't the longest running (it only ran from 2007-2012) but it has the most episodes. Tyler Perry cranked out 254 episodes in the six years the show ran. That output helped it take the top spot from The Jeffersons which is the longest running black sitcom clocking in at 11 seasons.

Oh1one

Motherland funk
Daps
Reppin
Joburg
Agree, the Steve Harvey show should be way higher on that Complex list.
I'd forgotten about Roc, must've been 10 years old with no English skills when it aired but from what I remember but I enjoyed it.

Martin's gotta be on the number 1 spot for me for a while though.

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All those shows on the list were dope and there's plenty more that weren't named.

I rather watch syndications of those shows then the trash shows we as african americans have today.

The only thing clsoe we have to that is blackish

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
:damn:

didn't realize we had so many at one point.

then there were some that miss the early 90s boom like

girlfriends
one on one
in tha house
eve had a show
the parkers

and im sure im missing some cuz Im going off top

-DMP-

Lord Scion

Quality Games
Supporter
Daps
Yep... Steve Harvey definitely needs to be higher. That show was laughs. For some reason all the random ass names he gave to his students had me dying

"Lil sensitive boy"
"All natural girl"

observe

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The Forest Where Hope Died
Seen a lot of those and others I haven't watched that most..around 94 I was too old for TV sitcoms I was like 15 then :yeshrug:

But different world and the Cosby show were my favorites

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I watched all the shows from the 90s on this list. Was too young to watch any of the shows prior to the 90s. Wasn't interested in watching any of the shows after 90s.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
1. fukk Buzzfeed
2. I love that it's a top 17
7. I'm happy