That Time where Hollywood was battling Satan

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Me personally I never liked disaster films, everything else yeah 90s had a lot of top notch films.

Not even the end of world, there were people thinking Blair Witch Project was actually real, as if someone really found the tape and released it in movie theatrers :dead:

BREEHHHHH I remember my mother was freaking out about the movie. Near the end she was like "OMG OMG OMG WHAT IS HAPPENING :damn:"
:damn::damn::damn:

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
John Carpenter would have hit a home run with this movie
He would at least make the movie more intelligent. It had a potential of being someting like a mix of Alien and Doom. Instead it was a typical dumb film for high school kids.

The Thing or Alien made you care about the crew. They were just a working crew, with some scientists, doing their job and unfortunately discovering alien life form. Even Aliens had a logical plot, it's a rescue team, armed with weapons, going on a rescue mission and hiring Ripley to help them out, since she encountered one of those aliens. And then of course evil corporate man being behind the mission.

Meanwhile Horizon already starts off dumb as hell with the crew not knowing shyt about space, constantly asking questions where they going and not getting clear answers. Why would you hire such a crew to find a missing spaceship? Already a red flag there and you know everyone in this film is just a dumb sacrificial lamb. Gotta give the audience more than just gore images with dumb plot, even though gore was well done, and I heard they actually had to tone it down... I can't imagine what the fukk was made there originally. But this is probably why the movie had a fanbase.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
He would at least make the movie more intelligent. It had a potential of being someting like a mix of Alien and Doom. Instead it was a typical dumb film for high school kids.

The Thing or Alien made you care about the crew. They were just a working crew, with some scientists, doing their job and unfortunately discovering alien life form. Even Aliens had a logical plot, it's a rescue team, armed with weapons, going on a rescue mission and hiring Ripley to help them out, since she encountered one of those aliens. And then of course evil corporate man being behind the mission.

Meanwhile Horizon already starts off dumb as hell with the crew not knowing shyt about space, constantly asking questions where they going and not getting clear answers. Why would you hire such a crew to find a missing spaceship? Already a red flag there and you know everyone in this film is just a dumb sacrificial lamb. Gotta give the audience more than just gore images with dumb plot, even though gore was well done, and I heard they actually had to tone it down... I can't imagine what the fukk was made there originally. But this is probably why the movie had a fanbase.
All carpenter would have to do is use the same atmosphere he had in In the mouth of madness. Hell he would have sam Neil again and topping it off with fishbourne. It would have been a actual classic instead of a cult film

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Remember New Years Eve as a 14 year old in 1999, lots of Y2K jokes

actually read an article about how a lot was done to update for the year 2000, in NY Times like a year ago

also Bless The Child was a pretty bad Stigmata rip from maybe 2000? With Jimmy Smits

Stir of Echoes, The Sixth Sense, The Game, lots of dark thrillers, but there was about 4 that centered around Satanism that I remember

some of that is studios just buying similar scripts to compete

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
images

No one mentioned this one yet? Literally The Downward Spiral.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Me personally I never liked disaster films, everything else yeah 90s had a lot of top notch films.

Not even the end of world, there were people thinking Blair Witch Project was actually real, as if someone really found the tape and released it in movie theatrers :dead:

It's because of that TV special they put out before the movie. Probably the last pre internet truly taking off movie.

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
It's because of that TV special they put out before the movie. Probably the last pre internet truly taking off movie.
Oh they did an excellent marketing. And the actors being unknown obviously made the movie a mysterious big thing. Cube was another great horror film that used barely known actors, so you didn't know what to expect from them during the movie. Of course very different films but it's great when low budget films exceed all the expectations.

Too bad Hollywood loves fukking up nearly every successful film with garbage sequels. Some movies don't need a damn sequel.