Tennessee plastics factory staff killed in Hurricane Helene reportedly told not to evacuate

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
The company denied that managers had told employees not to leave.

“When water began to cover the parking lot and the adjacent service road, and the plant lost power, employees were dismissed by management to return to their homes in time for them to escape the industrial park,” it said in a statement. “At no time were employees told that they would be fired if they left the facility. For employees who were non-English speaking, bi-lingual employees were among the group of managers who delivered the message.”

The company also said: “While most employees left immediately, some remained on or near the premises for unknown reasons.”
man you gotta be a real piece of shyt to try to spin a lie like that. theyre straight up blaming the employees. i hope they sue that motherfukker into homelessness.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lets be real. It was a warehouse full of mexicans and migrants and they told them do not leave. They trying to cover their asses now. These companies dont give a fukk about you. Us black folks realize this, but those immigrants are not trying to lose their jobs especially when a boss tells them its not bad enough for them to leave;

Exactly.

50cent-on-phone.gif

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
While I do feel bad for them and the owners should face all possible legal ramifications, this is where people have to put themselves first.

I remember during the beginning of Covid, like February, when cases were just starting to increase but, people didn't want to accept it was a pandemic. I told my boss I'm out bish FOH. She was talking about if we leave, we're gonna get written up. I stayed another hour then I saw one of the old white ladies in our department get put on a stretcher. I packed up ten minutes later. I was the first person to force my way into working from home. Then by late March, everybody got approval. These companies don't care about you. If you see its getting bad out there and your lame ass bosses have mysteriously vanished while forcing you to be there, get your silly ass up and go home.

ROBEEZYKILLA

the coli soulja
Daps
Reppin
dallas,tx
While I do feel bad for them and the owners should face all possible legal ramifications, this is where people have to put themselves first.

I remember during the beginning of Covid, like February, when cases were just starting to increase but, people didn't want to accept it was a pandemic. I told my boss I'm out bish FOH. She was talking about if we leave, we're gonna get written up. I stayed another hour then I saw one of the old white ladies in our department get put on a stretcher. I packed up ten minutes later. I was the first person to force my way into working from home. Then by late March, everybody got approval. These companies don't care about you. If you see its getting bad out there and your lame ass bosses have mysteriously vanished while forcing you to be there, get your silly ass up and go home.
I did the same shyt march 2020 told my office I’m out this bytch sorry I’ll contact y’all once shyt dies down luckily they did take me back few months later but yea fukk that in this capitalist society these mfers do not give a fukk about you AT ALL just the money you generate…gotta put yourself 1st always

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Terrible. RIP. They were treated like objects.

It's not the same, but it made me think of the Hamlet chicken fire.

"The fire caused the deaths of 146 garment workers—123 women and girls and 23 men—who died from the fire, smoke inhalation, falling, or jumping to their deaths. Most of the victims were recent Italian or Jewish immigrant women and girls aged 14 to 23"

"Because the doors to the stairwells and exits were locked–—a common practice at the time to prevent workers from taking unauthorized breaks and to reduce theft—many of the workers could not escape from the burning building and jumped from the high windows. There were no sprinklers in the building."

"It is considered the worst industrial factory fire in history, killing 188 persons, and injuring 469. Most of the victims were young female workers from rural families."

"Workers located in the upper floors were told the fire was minor and were instructed to keep working. The fire alarm in the building did not sound. Areas dedicated to storing finished products caused the fire to spread quickly."

"Workers in the Building One who tried to escape found the ground floor exit doors to be locked, and the stairwells soon collapsed on top of the workers due to the fire. Many workers jumped from the second, third, and fourth-floor windows in order to escape the flames, resulting in severe injuries and fatalities."

"At least 117 people were confirmed dead in the fire, and over 200 were injured, making it the deadliest factory fire in the nation's history."

"The fire department's operations manager, Mohammad Mahbub, stated that the factory lacked the adequate emergency exits that would have made it possible to escape from the building, especially since the fire broke out in the warehouse on the ground floor and quickly moved up to higher floors. Of the building's three staircases, all three led through the ground floor, making them extremely dangerous and unusable in the case of a ground floor fire. That left many workers trapped and unable to get safely out of the course of the fire."

"Witnesses reported that many workers had been unable to escape through the narrow exits of the building. Twelve of the victims died leaping from windows to escape the flames, some of whom would die of other injuries after they had been taken to area hospitals."

"The Rana Plaza collapse occurred on 24 April 2013, when the eight-storey "Rana Plaza" commercial building collapsed due to a structural failure. The rescue team's search ended on 13 May 2013, with a confirmed death toll of 1,134. Approximately 2,500 injured people were rescued from the building."

"The building housed five garment factories, a bank, and apartments. It was constructed in 2006 on the site of a former pond, and was built without proper permits. The fifth through eighth floors were added onto the building without supporting walls; the heavy equipment from the garment factories was more than the structure could support."

"On 23 April 2013, large cracks were discovered in the building. The shops and the bank on the lower floors immediately closed, but the garment factory owners on the upper floors ignored the warnings and forced the workers to return to work the following day. On 24 April, the building collapsed at 9:00 am local time, trapping thousands of people inside."

Those last 3 were in foreign buildings, but that's only because we outsource our evil corporate profiteering now. The Thai toy factory that burned down manufactured toys for Mattel and Disney. The Bangladesh garment factory that burned down was making t-shirts for the US Marines, C&A, Walmart and Li & Fung. And the Bangladesh garment factory that collapsed and killed over a THOUSAND people was making clothes for Benetton, Zara, The Children's Place, El Corte Inglés, Joe Fresh, Mango, Matalan, Primark, and Walmart.

In numerous cases, American companies have blocked efforts to make foreign factories safer. The Thai government had nearly passed a comprehensive worker safety bill in the aftermath of the Kader Toy fire, but dropped it at the last second because American toy companies threatened to pull out of Thailand if the bill passed and their manufacturing costs increased. Walmart had repeatedly lobbied against worker safety protections in Bangladesh in the lead-up to those disasters. One article I read somewhere said something like 3,000 people had died in garment factory fires in Bangladesh over a 15-year period, and that was before the Rana Plaza collapse killed 1000+ all by itself.

RageKage

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Macragge
This is identical to the incident in Kentucky that killed 8 ppl in a tornado

Factory workers threatened with firing if they left before tornado, employees say​

Exclusive: At least eight people died in the Mayfield Consumer Products candle factory. Its destruction has become a symbol of the tornado's ruinous power

Without unions and strong govt oversight to ensure worker safety, these small shops run their business like a plantation where they pull all the strings and have all the power

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
I hope they filed a lawsuit yesterday...If this company could do something like this, it wouldn't be beneath them to file bankruptcy to try and avoid paying out.

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
I did the same shyt march 2020 told my office I’m out this bytch sorry I’ll contact y’all once shyt dies down luckily they did take me back few months later but yea fukk that in this capitalist society these mfers do not give a fukk about you AT ALL just the money you generate…gotta put yourself 1st always
Always put self first but we are taught to give every drop of loyalty to companies. I'm a grown man. If I wanna leave, I'm gone. I would have told them, "Look I showed up but it's about to get crazy. I have to protect me and mine." After that they can take it or leave it. I'm gone regardless.

And they clearly told them to stay. Probably with a threat to their job or 'disciplinary action'.