Syl Johnson on Wu-Tang and Sampling

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps
big fan of syl johnson. it always hurts to hear them refer to sampling as stealing though. he's not wrong but i still feel a certain way about it.

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
Jazz legend Wynton Marsalis on HipHop :huhldup:

[ame=http://youtu.be/npIIpbA_DTA]Wynton Marsalis Talks with Charlie Rose- YouTube[/ame]

SoulController

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Almighty Garden State
WTF Syl is Ocho's pappy? i had no idea

D3lON.gif

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
big fan of syl johnson. it always hurts to hear them refer to sampling as stealing though. he's not wrong but i still feel a certain way about it.

I agree. I mean it hurts to hear it too, because I'm a producer head myself, and a geek when it comes to making beats and beat makers.

But at the end of the day technically it kind of is stealing, if you sell it or use it it any way to make money. I like to think of it as recycling myself, not stealing.

Havoc had a great wrote on it from an old Scratch magazine, I wish I could find it. He said he thinks it's important to pay for what you sample because he realizes it is stealing if you don't. That said...it is kinda funny coming from him because everything on Hell on Earth has at least one sample in it, yet only like half the album has samples that were credited.

Even funnier is when people try to flat out deny it. Twiz the Beat Pro I heard denied that this was a sample, which is hilarious because so many people have the sample.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
RZA wins it with his samples..gotdamn he creates a whole different sound..beautiful.
Premo does his thing romantically like no other..

Hip Hop Wins..

One of my favorite RZA flips is Bring the Pain. Not because the beat is my favorite RZA beat, but because it's simply one little four note/bar loop.

The first 3 seconds and from 3:00-3:03 is all it is. Beautiful.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mepuOj2Yk-4&feature=related"]Jerry Butler - Mechanical Man - YouTube[/ame]

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
Thats why Primo is the goat IMO :king:

the nikka took a sample from a bible movie and made "Nas is like", took nikkas years to find that sample

:russ:

Word...Don't agree wit homie about sampling being stealing but if you mainstream u should def pay who u sampling from tho....wow homie naming wu albums too