Swole talks about representation issues with AEW

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Big Swole Explains How Lack Of Diversity And Structure Led To Her Leaving AEW | Fightful News

"My heart just stopped being in it as the reason why I left AEW. I felt like there were a lot of things, and I told them in my exit interview, there are a lot of things that need to change. I know fans of the company don't take criticism well sometimes, certain ones. Know this, this is somebody from the inside, the structure is a little off. It's fine to be loose, but I like to have a little bit more structure. I felt like the women shouldn't have gone through everything they went through just to get on TV or get time. You're signed to this big company, you should get time. All these men are getting time, but the women weren't getting anything or you're not putting people on TV because more people are coming in. Okay, there are more people coming in, but you don't have enough product for all of these people. Now you have all these people sitting around having two or three minute matches on Dark doesn't keep me happy. Shoveling more money doesn't keep a person happy. We've seen time and time again, especially in a place where there's not enough space. There's no writers in a sense. Not everyone is comfortable writing their own things. Closed mouths don't get fed. That's exactly what that environment is. If you are shy and don't know how to write or are not creative, it's not going to work unless they want it to work for you. That's one of their biggest issues," she said.

Along with the lack of structure, Swole saw a bigger issue in AEW and that was a lack of diversity.

"Outside of [lack of structure] their BIGGEST issue, which is diversity. I do not beat around the bush when it comes to diversity and my people. There is no representation, truly, and when there is, it does not come across in the black community as genuine. At all. I don't know why everybody is so afraid to accept it or say it, but it's not a good look. What happens is, you have this wonderful company that treats people like family, but there is nobody that looks like me that is represented at the top and in the room with them. They are not helping to necessarily influence decisions, but to explain why certain slang and certain word shouldn't be said. There is no one else who can explain our culture and experience except for us," she said.

How will they fix this, if they do?

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City
This is right on time too. The neck beards will come for her and the frat boys in the company will make some type of skit or change their twitter tag to something clever but they wont indulge the truth. For a company so on the pulse of the wrestling world they’ve got to be doing it on purpose.

If Swole really stood there and told them this and they still went on as they do then that’s all anyone needed to hear. It’s time for the official backlash to begin.

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
This is right on time too. The neck beards will come for her and the frat boys in the company will make some type of skit or change their twitter tag to something clever but they wont indulge the truth. For a company so on the pulse of the wrestling world they’ve got to be doing it on purpose.

If Swole really stood there and told them this and they still went on as they do then that’s all anyone needed to hear. It’s time for the official backlash to begin.

Right after that Brandi Rhodes bullshyt happened too

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Honestly everything Swole said was valid and at some point I would think Tony Khan would realize that he needs to make his company be as diverse as possible at all levels and realize that the structure of the company currently as far as creative is not sustainable. Khan needs to build a writer's room of people he trusts who are diverse in race and outlook but who also know the business.

FH-BEnEWUAYb8W5

FH-BE4VWUAI2Yw_

FH-BFFmWQAgRamT

FH-BFQ_X0AEgwZU

Shadow

Enjoy your life and loved ones.
Daps
There is no representation, truly, and when there is, it does not come across in the black community as genuine.

What happens is, you have this wonderful company that treats people like family, but there is nobody that looks like me that is represented at the top and in the room with them. They are not helping to necessarily influence decisions, but to explain why certain slang and certain word shouldn't be said. There is no one else who can explain our culture and experience except for us,"

And that says it all.

I hope this doesn't blackball her either.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

That's where the structural issue comes in.
AEW began with The Bucks, Cody and Kenny basically running things in a way that pushed their buddies and gave free reign to guys like Jericho and Moxley to do what they wanted. That was why early AEW was chaotic as hell.
Then Tony Khan took over and managed install a bit of order to the chaos which was needed but it is past time for Khan to take the same hard look at the company that he did when he assumed more control and realize that his lane is colored by the guys he started the company with and that lane is really white centric.

Daps
Reppin
Eagle, Colorado
I'd like more details about what her expectation is for "writing". I'm kind of the opinion that if you need someone to write for you in this business you just don't have it. Should probably go be a gymnast, crossfit celebrity, or stunt person. The shyt she's saying about the lack of diversity is totally valid. As a general policy though I never believe parents when they claim there kids said something in order to advance their point.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I'd like more details about what her expectation is for "writing". I'm kind of the opinion that if you need someone to write for you in this business you just don't have it. Should probably go be a gymnast, crossfit celebrity, or stunt person. The shyt she's saying about the lack of diversity is totally valid. As a general policy though I never believe parents when they claim there kids said something in order to advance their point.
There are some people who, while not necessarily needing every word scripted for them, would probably benefit from someone in the company who could help them cultivate a gimmick and give them tips on how to deliver a promo and whatnot.
I don't think that any company should hire Hollywood writers to write bad sitcom scripts for the wrestlers but there should be folks to assist people in the creative aspects of wrestling because some people are just good at the wrestling part and none of the character stuff.