Summer of 1996, Reasonable Doubt and It Was Written were my personal soundtrack

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree
Both albums are just "pretty good" to me :ehh:

For the record, "Ain't No nikka" was some corny, radio-friendly, low- budget B.I.G. horseshyt. :smh:

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
you can never wrong with the 7 minutes of funk sample IMO. i fell in love with it on EPMD's single....loved it again on 'only when i'm drunk'....loved it again on the Gravediggaz album....loved ain't no nikka.

DredScott

Take these jewelz...
Daps
It was written is a great album, but man i can't lie i was hating on that shyt hard when it dropped...

this is basically how i feel about this album.

i can understand how ppl can honestly say they like IWW more than Illmatic now in retrospect, but you gotta admit that you were disappointed at least at first. there's nobody alive that actually listened to Illmatic before IWW that can say they weren't at least slightly disappointed with IWW when it dropped.

all i can remember is me and alotta other cats i know copping IWW the day it dropped and being disgusted with it and dubbing it and taking it back to the store the next day. we were disappointed as fukk. it was like after Illmatic, he makes this? disappointing tracks like "Street Dreams" and "Nas Is Coming"? with that horrible hook? dre allowed that? :pacspit:

from what i remember seeing alotta ppl that really enjoyed the lp were the same kids who didn't know who Nas was til "If I Ruled The World" hit the radio and MTV, not all of them were newjacks, but the majority of the kids i knew who bought IWW were, that's why IWW was sold like it did. shyt i remember kids (mostly white boys) in school fukking his name up at first all the time on some "nah man, his name is pronounced Nazzz". :wtf: shyt was sad...

in retrospect, IWW is a great album, but at the time it came out it was a major disappointment to me and alotta other ppl. i just wasn't expecting that sudden change in beat selection and lyrical content. that tape dub of IWW didn't get much play for awhile either, i just went back to rocking the America Is Dying Slowly compilation, nutty professor soundtrack and the great hype soundtrack and kept it moving. (sidenote: man i miss the days of dope hip-hop movie soundtracks and compilations.)

to be honest though, i was in full blown "Keep It Real" mode back then so it took me awhile to get outta my timbz and fatigues backpacker mode before i could truly appreciate the greatness of It Was Written. :ohhh:

and as far as Reasonable Doubt, back then he was merely "that nikka who sampled Nas for his song and had B.I.G. in his video" to me and my boys. we weren't fukking with his playboy mafioso pimp shyt back then... that's another lp i didn't fukk with at first because i didn't like dude's style and initial singles.

and what the fukk was up Jay him putting those umlauts on his name? Jaÿ-Z, really?:rudy: y'all remember that? glad he wised up and dropped that stupid shyt. but word to '96, there were so many dope albums that dropped that year. shyt my pockets were getting emptied all year round.

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree
you can never wrong with the 7 minutes of funk sample IMO. i fell in love with it on EPMD's single....loved it again on 'only when i'm drunk'....loved it again on the Gravediggaz album....loved ain't no nikka.

It was a "safe" record. That's that shyt I DON'T LIKE. :smugdraper:

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Jay was so fresh to me at the time it was forgivable. Throw it in the same realm as other played out willie anthems of the time.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Agreed...

it switched mid-summer for me... I just knew I'd be bumpin' 'It Was Written' that whole summer, because it was Nas and I thought I'd love the album. But it just got a hot three weeks or so, then I heard RD. And that was the one I played most for the rest of that summer. Even listened to it on my way to school on the first day. In hindsight, I like IWW a lot more than I did then... still remember bein' in love with "Take It In Blood" and "The Message" tho'.

Honorable Mention to Heltah Skeltah's 'Nocturnal'.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Powerful post but I'll have to disagree on one point. I might have a skewed perspective, because I'm younger and from Queens, but Jay was NOT getting burn like that in Queens. Biggie - of course, for the shyt that people in that life could relate to but honestly the first time I heard of Jay was people talking about Brooklyn's Finest, but I didn't hear the song yet, but the first Jay song I heard solo was Ain't No. It Was Written, though? Bumped out of every car in Queens. People don't really understand how truly powerful a record "If I Ruled the World" was. And the last line on "The Message" is probably the greatest rap line of all time. Nas was a powerful movement back then but I just don't remember Jay being big at all. In fact, I was really tight when he did that whole Reasonable Doubt concert series, because it was some revisionist bullshyt. He went around acting like it was a classic and had an immediate impact on the rap game, when in fact it was lost in the crowd when it came out. Don't get me wrong, it's a great album, just wasn't powerful at the time (from my experiences).
He's never said that, his thing was to say only hustlers and real nikkas could relate to his music. And just cause it didn't sell records doesn't mean that it wasn't' a classic shyt was indie and all that all they had was a distribution deal.

Are you telling me It was written is more of a classic than Illmatic cause it sold more? And had a bigger mainstream impact? Jay was pretty much an underground rapper, paying for videos with their own money and shyt, giving champagne and shyt to djs to get plays and on..

there is a reason to why he says Reasonable doubt Classic should've went triple.

NV-ME

Make It Hot-ta
Daps
Reppin
FiyaStarter
niggs were waiting on that IWW like it was madden. from the second it dropped, it was coming out of every car. i live in dc, was headed to my soph year at howard and if it wasnt IWW it was gogo and most likely a cover of an IWW song. reasonable doubt snuck up on alot of people. i remember copping it at work, at the mall. dela soul had just walked by and my cd guy walked right behind them w/ their latest cd and reasonable doubt and i copped.

aint no & brooklyns finest along w/ street dreams owned that first sememster at local clubs.

oh, the times.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Honestly, people that I knew who were real salty about IWW were the "underground" heads who went to Lyrcist Lounge and listen to Stretch and Bobbito every week. Don't get me wrong, they had a legitimate viewpoint because IWW is a different album then Illmatic. And it's definitly the more commercial/polished album. But I always said, even back then, if you judge the album on its own merit, it's damn near a 5 mic album. The lyrics were crazy. The content was crazy. Yea some of the shyt Nas was spitting was far fetched and exaggerated for entertainment value (just like every other rapper and their music) And yea, majority of the shyt Nas was spitting he didn't necessarily go through like that (just like every other rapper and their music) When it comes to the drug raps, a lot of these rappers be spitting some off the wall shyt that, if your really in the know, know that a lot of the shyt they say don't add up (Foxy Brown's verse on Affirmative Action comes to mind) But with all of that aside, from an entertainment stand point, it was definitly a great album.

JYoung24

Young J
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Reasonable Doubt wasn't a mega smash all across the board at the time of its release (although it went Gold that same year). However, I can say it was a hit in different towns. People were up on it. And if people weren't up on the album like that, it wouldn't have went Gold like 3/4 months after its initial release. Depends where you was at during that time. RD may not have affected a city like Atlanta like it did Brooklyn or city like Chicago like it did here in Newark. You're from Queens so of course Nas shyt was going to get way more burn off GP. And yes, that IWW movement was crazy out here lol

Reasonable doubt didn't go gold its first year

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Honestly, people that I knew who were real salty about IWW were the "underground" heads who went to Lyrcist Lounge and listen to Stretch and Bobbito every week. Don't get me wrong, they had a legitimate viewpoint because IWW is a different album then Illmatic. And it's definitly the more commercial/polished album. But I always said, even back then, if you judge the album on its own merit, it's damn near a 5 mic album. The lyrics were crazy. The content was crazy. Yea some of the shyt Nas was spitting was far fetched and exaggerated for entertainment value (just like every other rapper and their music) And yea, majority of the shyt Nas was spitting he didn't necessarily go through like that (just like every other rapper and their music) When it comes to the drug raps, a lot of these rappers be spitting some off the wall shyt that, if your really in the know, know that a lot of the shyt they say don't add up (Foxy Brown's verse on Affirmative Action comes to mind) But with all of that aside, from an entertainment stand point, it was definitly a great album.
yup...this is EXACTLY what I be tryna tell nikkas...