Successful Black investor and business owner calls DEI a "participation trophy" wants more

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Then I worked for another place that loved to say they were a minority owned company so they could get government contracts. What do you think minority owned meant in this case? You guessed it, a white woman.

Sucking up all the good contracts under the guise of being “minority owned”. They need to rework the definition of that shyt.

Um, that is NOT the definition of "minority owned", so you're spreading misinformation here.

"To qualify for MBE certification, your small business must be 51% minority-owned and operated, and the owners must be involved in daily management. The NMSDC defines a minority as “an individual who is at least 25% Asian, Black, Hispanic or Native American.” This is established and proven through a combination of screenings, interviews and site visits."

There's women-owned business designations too which is a different category from minority-owned designation.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Affirmative Action in general props up White Women

I'm always confused whenever Black people always want to defend and protect it

Every single affirmation action case that has been in the news due to being challenged in courts or legislation was EXPLICITLY affirmative action for Black/Brown people, not for women. White women were literally the plaintiffs in many of these cases.

I'm not aware of a single recent significant case where affirmative action for White women was involved at all. That's just something people throw in to deflect. At the college level "affirmative action" for white women doesn't even exist anymore except in some STEM fields.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
DEI is a bunch of bullshyt to mainly prop up white women.
Black people get executive positions specifically Chief Executive of Diversity but those positions hold zero power. But they give ones that do to white women i.e Chief Financial Officer, Chief Technology Officer, Vice president, etc.

Use your brain for once.

You're basically claiming that that DEI was some sort of secret ploy by White men in order to prop up White women over White men, but then White men and White women have now banded together to oppose it because it....what, helped too many White women?

darkmanp

Pro
Daps
Reppin
VA
Affirmative Action in general props up White Women

I'm always confused whenever Black people always want to defend and protect it

For affirmative action to only benefit white woman, why did white people go so hard to get rid of it? I don’t see any white women complaining about the elimination of affirmative action. As much as you try to deny it, affirmative action did benefit black people.

In the state of California, affirmative action was banned in 1996 by their then Republican governor. As a result, enrollment among black and Latino students at colleges like UCLA fell by 40% and still haven’t recovered. But that’s the past, let’s talk about now.

Look at the results of the ban nationwide. You got these conservative organizations actively hunting to file lawsuits against any college or company that will help black people. Stephen Miller and his America First Legal have filed over 100 lawsuits against companies and colleges they deem as “woke,” alleging that companies like Nike, Disney, United Airlines, hell even the NFL discriminates against white males.

I’m sure you’ve seen in the news when a conservative group filed a lawsuit against the Atlanta-based Fearless Fund grant for black women businesses, because it discriminates against white people. Well as of now, the group has been successful, and the black businesses have not been allowed to receive the grant. Hell, in March of this year a lawsuit was filed against the University of Minnesota for offering the George Floyd scholarship for black students, again because the conservative group alleged that it discriminates against white students.

The Trump team has vowed that once he gets back in office, they will use the power of the federal government to go after any organization they believe is discriminating against white people. Keep in mind that Trump will have the courts in his pocket as he appoints more young, unqualified conservative judges, and will still have the Supreme Court to fall back on.

With affirmative action gone, these white conservatives will sue and likely win anytime an organization tries to provide a tangible specifically for black people.

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
I worked at a super liberal place and they created all those DEI positions and brought in consultants to do studies and talk to black people. Then they came back with a whole DEI task force made up of white women smh

Then I worked for another place that loved to say they were a minority owned company so they could get government contracts. What do you think minority owned meant in this case? You guessed it, a white woman.

Sucking up all the good contracts under the guise of being “minority owned”. They need to rework the definition of that shyt.
:dead:

Problematic Pat

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Use your brain for once.

You're basically claiming that that DEI was some sort of secret ploy by White men in order to prop up White women over White men, but then White men and White women have now banded together to oppose it because it....what, helped too many White women?
The proof is in the numbers. Show exactly where it's helping Black people???
Only 10 Black Fortune 500 ceos
Black women only account for 1.6% of c suite executives. The most common ethnicity of chief executive officers is White (76.0%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (7.9%), Asian (7.8%) and Unknown (3.9%).
They adopt these programs to say they are for diversity to only hire less Black people in those positions by playing the minority game and using it to hire white women.
Does this look like something you'd really die over by fighting for it??
Screenshot-20240717-130301.png

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
:russ: at thinking that wealthy white billionaires are going to personally close the racial wealth gap with "legitimate access to education and capital."

He's partially right that things like Affirmative Action and DEI are not the solution. They're bandaids, meant to help a little in certain sectors while massive systemic gaps exist. But the real solutions are addressing residential access on a LARGE scale, addressing educational access on a LARGE scale, fixing the justice system on a LARGE scale, and addressing wealth on a LARGE scale. Not begging the billionaires who definitely wish to perpetuate the system for little handouts.

He tagged Elon Musk who literally argues that Black people are intellectually inferior and shouldn't have important jobs, and he thinks THAT racist is going to solve the wealth gap?
Some of these old dudes don’t care about the future. End goal was always about the wanting to be accepted by demagogues. Tocquevilles observations right again. Elon Musk of all people as a black man. No wonder my peers are hopeless. This is “our best”

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Some of these old dudes don’t care about the future. Elon Musk of all people as a black man. No wonder my peers are hopeless. This is “our best”

This dude is not that old he's a millennial in his late 30s he should know better.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Does anyone actually have any numbers with regards to black progress in Microsoft in the DEI era?
I wouldn't necessarily trust Microsoft's data on DEI. They mainly seem to hire and promote Indians over any other group.

Microsoft’s 2023 Diversity and Inclusion Report: A decade of transparency, commitment and progress​

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
Why is it always all or nothing. Most people aren’t equipped to be CEOs. That doesn’t mean someone couldn’t make a great financial analyst if given the opportunity.

The thing that pisses me if about a lot of black folks who move up the ladder is they use all the benefits things like DEI and affirmative action provided but then they wanna hee haw with the whites and pretend like they didnt need any help at all to get where they are. fukk them.

/thread.

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
I wouldn't necessarily trust Microsoft's data on DEI. They mainly seem to hire and promote Indians over any other group.

Microsoft’s 2023 Diversity and Inclusion Report: A decade of transparency, commitment and progress​

I looked into it. It looks like black people actually saw the most growth and went from like 4.5% of the workforce overall to 6.7% and in technical roles from 3.3% to 5.8%. That's cool.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
You think people had bad intentions with DEI?
I think they had career intentions with DEI. Specifically white women who dominate administrative positions in this country. More titles and fake jobs for them to hoard while making offices miserable. They also made sure just enough black women got these positions in order to provide cover. And of course when those DEI positions started getting phased out the white women moved to HR and the black women lose their jobs lol.

This was just an example of corporations providing additional comfort for consumers. A lot of white people want to be told they’re a good person. So the coffee you buy is helping fund teachers, or the bank you use is working to end racism, or the oil company you have stock in is planting trees. With DEI, you get some nice ads with footage of black employees. Meanwhile the pool of qualified black people applying for the job is low because our school systems failed them. We’re so behind on basic shyt like reading, from very young ages. Fixing that would fix most of our issues in the business/corporate world.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
So many of us are faced with every fukking handicap you can think of in this country, and still most conversations are centered around how to take the few things that level the playing field for us, rather than finding more solutions. I guess equity is just too abstract of a concept to understand; if it was then DEI initiatives wouldn't wouldn't be looked at as "participation trophies" smh.