Student loans almost cost me a job opportunity

Hijo de luna

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Almost:whew:

Accepted the offer about three weeks ago but the screening results were taking longer than I anticipated. The hiring manager told be that my drug and background check came back clear but the HR mgr wanted to ask some q's about my credit report:merchant:. The position is a Financial Analyst gig so I knew they were going to go through my background with a fine tooth comb. Any way guy calls me today for a conference call and we went line by line through my credit report. He said he was little concerned with the balance of my outstanding student loans:why:. I wanted to tell him it's because I didn't have the luxury of generational wealth derived from 400 years of free labor:sas2: but... I'll play the game until I can build my own empire. He even asked about a loan payment that was 6 days late four years ago:stopitslime:. I honestly don't think any of my white coworkers have student loans. That privilege:ohlawd:. But anyway the guy approved me but I just thought about how this is just another example of how the system is rigged against us:mjcry:. Build your own my brothers, is hard outchea

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Almost:whew:

Accepted the offer about three weeks ago but the screening results were taking longer than I anticipated. The hiring manager told be that my drug and background check came back clear but the HR mgr wanted to ask some q's about my credit report:merchant:. The position is a Financial Analyst gig so I knew they were going to go through my background with a fine tooth comb. Any way guy calls me today for a conference call and we went line by line through my credit report. He said he was little concerned with the balance of my outstanding student loans:why:. I wanted to tell him it's because I didn't have the luxury of generational wealth derived from 400 years of free labor:sas2: but... I'll play the game until I can build my own empire. He even asked about a loan payment that was 6 days late four years ago:stopitslime:. I honestly don't think any of my white coworkers have student loans. That privilege:ohlawd:. But anyway the guy approved me but I just thought about how this is just another example of how the system is rigged against us:mjcry:. Build your own my brothers, is hard outchea
I used to work in finances before the recession, couldn't pass the credit check to work in the same field post recession because i missed payments on bills and such while looking for work...so i switched up careers :yeshrug:

It's fukked up how the system keeps people from coming up off the bottom

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I haven't encountered this personally but had a huge argument with a white guy about this a few years ago how can someone make good on debt and improve their credit if you have rules in place to disenfranchise them and prevent them from getting a good job.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The inclusion of credit reports in the hiring process is nearly as shytty to me as the sometimes automatic disqualification that happens when a job seeker has a criminal record.
This country has so many bullshyt processes in place to make getting ahead harder than it needs to be. Yet all you hear from a certain segment of the populace is some pie in the sky bullshyt about "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps".

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
Take a loan out from a bank to go to school. Graduate school. Go get a job at a bank. Bank doesn't hire you because you haven't been paying back their (or a "competitors") loan to their satisfaction.

Banksters are winning.

It doesn't work like that. Financial companies look for people that can manage their own finances perfectly before they'll let that person manage billions of other peoples money. I don't really support it but I can understand why a financial firm would disqualify your job application because of a shytty credit report.