Stretch Armstrong and Bobbito w/ Mad Skillz , Jay-Z, and DJ Cash Money July 20, 1995

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
^this takes me back to the college radio station(s) my mom used to listen to - 89.5 & i think 91.7. same type of sound quality & similar playlist.

i was in basketball camp, prolly during this exact week.:smugfavre:

i brought my lil tapes up there to the dorms and used to trade stuff with the "oldheads"(really them dudes was prolly no older than 14-16 but they were :flabbynsick: to me. they were the 1st ones that got me into bcc like that outside of just black moon. the downside was that we couldnt dub our tapes up.

That's wassup. Stretch Armstrong and Bobbito's show was the mecca for NY Hip Hop music in the 90's. What made their show stand out from the rest of the college shows at the time was the fact of how many artists music got broken on their show first. Every BIG NY rapper from the 90's (whether it was Jay-Z, Nas, Biggie, Wu-Tang, BCC, Mase, Cam'ron, Big L, CNN, Mobb Deep, Big Pun, Busta Rhymes, DMX, Redman etc) were all first heard on Stretch and Bobbito's show. Even west coast rappers like Pharcyde, Souls Of Mischief, Casual, Alkaholiks, Xzibit were getting play on Stretch and Bob's show even before they were getting played like that on Cali radio. shyt, I even remember hearing Dr and Snoop's Deep Cover for the first time on Stretch and Bob's show. They would play rappers demos, have unsigned artists come up there and spit on the reg. They also had established, well respected rappers from the late 80's (ie Kool G Rap, Kool Keith, KRS One, Big Daddy Kane, Craig G, Lord Finesse, etc) come on there as well. Another thing that was so great about their show was the range of Hip Hop they would play. Stretch would play the most lyrical/syllable/nerd rap songs by artists like Company Flow, Natural Elements, Afu Ra, Last Emperor, or J Live, to horror core white rap shyt like Necro, Cage, or Ill Bill, then he would play the bang bang, shoot em up, nikka die slow street music music from artists like Onyx, Fat Joe, Mobb Deep, CNN, Tragedy, Wu Tang, MOP, Black Moon, Smif N Wessun, Kool G Rap or even the "Big Willie" coke rhymes of artists like Biggie, AZ, Hov, Money Boss Players (Lord Tariq's old group), Mic Geronimo, Big L, etc. And the fact that their time slot was on a Thursday night/Friday morning from 1 to 5 am (possibly the worst time slot ever for any radio show) and still had tons of people tuning in was an accomplishment in itself. Because it wasn't just your "underground heads" tuning in, the street nikkas were their BIGGEST supporters. Everybody was staying up and taping their show. They were so influential to Hip Hop radio and gave birth to a lot of our favorite rappers careers.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
this show aired on a college station?

Yes, on 89.9 FM WKCR (Columbia University) every Thursday night from 1 to 5 am. Then in 1996, they began their second show that use to air on Hot 97 every Sunday from Midnight to 2 am.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
cool. i figured it was a college station because of the sound quality and the fact that some of the songs on that AZ show you dropped werent even edited(criminology).

i still need the names of some of those tracks from that show if anybody knows.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
cool. i figured it was a college station because of the sound quality and the fact that some of the songs on that AZ show you dropped werent even edited(criminology).

i still need the names of some of those tracks from that show if anybody knows.

Yea they use to play all the songs unedited with curses. Rappers were allowed to curse when they came up their to spit. What made the show the best was the classic freestyles they had up there. From having KRS One, Lord Finesse, and Supernatural up there in 95 and having them rap while Finesse was playing his beats off the SP1200 LIVE, to having Large Professor, Organized Konfusion, O.C, and Ultramagnetic MC's up there in 93 and Large Professor playing beats off his SP1200 for them to rhyme over, to Nas and Akinyele coming up there back in 91 making their radio debut (right around the time Live At The BBQ first dropped), to Mobb Deep coming up there in 94 and spitting verses that would later be heard on the Infamous album a year later, to the now famous freestyle between Big L and Jay-Z in 95. I also remember how they use to have demo battles. They would play demos from 2 artists and the listeners would call up and vote who had the better demo. And the artists who got the most votes would be placed in the Unsigned Hype column in The Source. It was one time Biggie's demo went up against another rappers demo and Biggie wound up losing, believe it or not. Just so many memories. We would be here all day discussing them lol

Bean

GOAT 8/24
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PA
"he aint sellin no records is he, that nikka gotta hustle"

:king: Hov :dj2:

young Memphis was nice