Steve Blackman's wrestling career/story is pretty impressive

LastManStanding

Veteran
Daps
Steve Blackman is most notably known for his five years in WWE from 1997-2002, that just so happen to be during pro-wrestling's "boom" period, but a lot of people don't realize that he was almost signed to a full-time contract by WWE way back in 1989. so what happened?

"After working several house shows for WWF, Blackman was being considered for a full-time contract with the company when he contracted malaria and dysentery while wrestling in South Africa in 1989 and was essentially bedridden for two years. :damn:

(photo before malaria)
05.jpg

After his rest, during which he lost much of his muscle mass, Blackman spent another four years in physical therapy to recover his condition, and incorporated martial arts training, specifically escrima and tae kwon do. Once back in working shape, he contacted his friends Brian Pillman and Owen Hart for a new WWF try-out."

steveBlackman.jpg

always thought Blackman was a MMA guy before getting into pro-wrestling, but he was actually a pro-wrestler first (even working for Stu Hart in the late 80's) before adapting MMA into his pro-wrestling skill-set :ohhh:

he was always fun to watch in the ring and has a pretty inspiring story of how he got there :ehh:

steve-blackman-1.gif

tumblr_pesyu7biVZ1s0zdtdo1_400.gif

6b6f8f48507288fe4649cf47bbe60992.gif

93b0cde1b3087a606b4d36bd7379390727b97be5.gif

tumblr_pvxw0iYjth1wo0mn6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_opng6smQ8r1w4gwfno1_400.gif

tumblr_opng6smQ8r1w4gwfno3_r2_400.gif

tumblr_opng6smQ8r1w4gwfno4_400.gif

tumblr_opng6smQ8r1w4gwfno2_400.gif

Steve "Hard on PAWG's" Blackman:mjlol:
bd1e5ebbd60f2d6ac8cb53cb1345c9c2.gif

ElaborateBadBrownbear-size_restricted.gif

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London

Underrated theme :wow:

Gave JBL that work so bad, JBL was like "I'm sorry :mjcry:"

At Kansas City airport, Steve and I were waiting around when Bradshaw came over. It was an early morning flight and John was still drunk from the night before. He started patting Steve’s ass. Steve said, “John, I don’t play that shyt, knock it off.” John patted him again. And again. Steve was getting brutally pissed. He told him, “John, next time you do that, I’m going to knock your fukking teeth out.” So, of course, John did it again. Steve whipped around and backhanded Bradshaw, popping him with jabs in the face.

John started swinging and missing, and his head was snapping back with each of Steve’s jabs. Steve stepped back, planning to kick Bradshaw’s knees out, but he got his leg caught in a bag handle. Al Snow and I grabbed Steve, Ron Simmons grabbed John, and we pulled them apart. John was walking back and forth like a bandy rooster, looking to fight. Before we left, Steve told him, “I’m going to fukking kill you.” He meant it too.

We got our car and got on the road. Ken Shamrock was riding with us. Me, Blackman, and Shamrock. That’s a dangerous car, and I’m the warm one — a teddy bear compared to the other two. That whole journey, Shamrock was poking and prodding Steve, telling him that Bradshaw was going to beat his ass. Steve wasn’t saying a word. And who did we see when we checked in to the hotel? Bradshaw and Ron were right there.

The boys don’t always stay at the same hotels, so it was a complete coincidence and not a good one for John. He came over to apologize and Steve said, “No apologies, I’m going to finish you later,” then walked off. We found him in the gym, still boiling mad. Once we were in the arena and had sat down in catering, John walked in. Everybody went silent as Steve stood up. He said, “If you’ve got something to say to me, you say it now or I’m going to finish you in front of everybody.” Bradshaw walked over, apologized and said, “I shouldn’t have fukked with you,” and shook his hand. That was the end of it. Steve sat down and said, “Bob, if it wasn’t for that bag, John would be in intensive care right now.” Trust me, I believe it — if anybody can put Bradshaw in the hospital with one kick, it’s Steve Blackman.

"No apologies, I'll finish you later :ufdup::demonic:"

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
at the beginning of his attitude era run i really thought dude was a fan that jumped the railed and they signed. :mjgrin: :russ:

anybody ever seen this old martial arts movie where this dude flipped a leather couch up vertically and he was training by hitting it with them sticks like this gif?:dead: