Steam Announces Family Sharing

CTech83

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
I guess it'll work if i'm busy playing PS4 and decide to let a family member eat off my library for the time being. It would have been better if you can loan out individual games instead of the whole library though. That way they only get kicked out of a game if I decide to play it.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
sounds kinda limited, but it's something. I hope I get into the beta to check it out

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
It doesn't sound that way from the op. it says only one person can access the "library" not each individual game.
I saw that but assumed they meant if the borrower is using the game that the owner wants to play, they'll have to exit. This is almost pointless otherwise. If it is exactly as stated, it will probably be reexamined at some point. Otherwise this isn't news worthy and the only benefit to this is that someone who doesn't own the game can gain achievements.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I saw that but assumed they meant if the borrower is using the game that the owner wants to play, they'll have to exit. This is almost pointless otherwise. If it is exactly as stated, it will probably be reexamined at some point. Otherwise this isn't news worthy and the only benefit to this is that someone who doesn't own the game can gain achievements.

basically it's a way to share your account without giving someone your logon info. it's something though, and definitely "newsworthy". you can eat if you know when someone is going to be at school, work, sleep, etc

I'm sure they're thinking it will sell some games: you're all into some game. then your friend signs on, you get the boot, and you're staring at a "buy now" option. you already have the game installed, so it's literally a click away...

Last edited:

kash10003

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
seems like libraries are shared in their entirety

but 2 people can play different games at the same time right?

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
basically it's a way to share your account without giving someone your logon info. it's something though, and definitely "newsworthy". you can eat if you know when someone is going to be at school, work, sleep, etc

I'm sure they're thinking it will sell some games: you're all into some game. then your friend signs on, you get the boot, and you're staring at a "buy now" option. you already have the game installed, so it's literally a click away...
Yeeeaaahhhh see I'm not buying that. Dude is just gonna call his boy and be like "Yo son, I'm on the game, I'm almost done....." Listen, I didn't go to business school, so what do I know, but that seems like a lot to go through logistically, and I would think from a licensing standpoint, just in the hopes that someone will be impatient enough to buy a game. If Steam didn't have such great sales I might say it was a good idea, but since they do, it just makes me wonder. We'll see.

CTech83

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY

:ohhh:

You might be on to something. If I suddenly got kicked off the latest Splinter Cell halfway through the game, I might be tempted to buy the full game. It's a smart move on their part to be honest.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
:blessed:

JOIN US!

September 11, 2013 – Steam Family Sharing, a new service feature that allows close friends and family members to share their libraries of Steam games, is coming to Steam, a leading platform for the delivery and management of PC, Mac, and Linux games and software. The feature will become available next week, in limited beta on Steam.

Steam Family Sharing is designed for close friends and family members to play one another's Steam games while each earning their own Steam achievements and storing their own saves and application data to the Steam cloud. It's all enabled by authorizing a shared computer.

“Our customers have expressed a desire to share their digital games among friends and family members, just as current retail games, books, DVDs, and other physical media can be shared,” explained Anna Sweet of Valve. “Family Sharing was created in direct response to these user requests.”

Once a device is authorized, the lender's library of Steam games becomes available for others on the machine to access, download, and play. Though simultaneous usage of an account’s library is not allowed, the lender may always access and play his games at any time. If he decides to start playing when a friend is borrowing one of his games, the friend will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.

For more information about Steam Family Sharing and the beta program, please visit store.steampowered.com/sharing.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/11436/
But when Microsoft was about to do this, you was hating :ohhh:
We'll get the feature back, and you'll act like they didn't do this first
Look at how wonderful it is to you now tho :rudy:

@Rico @MeachTheMonster @Smooth3d

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I got into the beta :shaq::patrice:

me too. seems like you can't do shyt unless you personally authorize the computer. pretty good for families and peeps that live around each other. but it doesn't seem like the long distance sharing will really work like we want it to