Steam Announces Family Sharing

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
:blessed:

JOIN US!

September 11, 2013 – Steam Family Sharing, a new service feature that allows close friends and family members to share their libraries of Steam games, is coming to Steam, a leading platform for the delivery and management of PC, Mac, and Linux games and software. The feature will become available next week, in limited beta on Steam.

Steam Family Sharing is designed for close friends and family members to play one another's Steam games while each earning their own Steam achievements and storing their own saves and application data to the Steam cloud. It's all enabled by authorizing a shared computer.

“Our customers have expressed a desire to share their digital games among friends and family members, just as current retail games, books, DVDs, and other physical media can be shared,” explained Anna Sweet of Valve. “Family Sharing was created in direct response to these user requests.”

Once a device is authorized, the lender's library of Steam games becomes available for others on the machine to access, download, and play. Though simultaneous usage of an account’s library is not allowed, the lender may always access and play his games at any time. If he decides to start playing when a friend is borrowing one of his games, the friend will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.

For more information about Steam Family Sharing and the beta program, please visit store.steampowered.com/sharing.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/11436/

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
when steambox drops and it affordable... :blessed:
Just build a pc inside something like a silverstone sg06. Those FM2+ motherboards will start coming out in about 2 months so you can get ready. $700 and you will be able to do whatever you want

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Just build a pc inside something like a silverstone sg06. Those FM2+ motherboards will start coming out in about 2 months so you can get ready. $700 and you will be able to do whatever you want

I need something small enough to travel with. that's not that big, but the Steambox form factor is much more conducive to travel

ChrisDorner

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Can't play at the same time? :leostare: what's the difference between this & just logging onto your homies account when you wanna play?

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
@ChrisDorner

I believe the difference is, this way, all the achievements and accomplishments in the games are credited to the borrower. Plus this way you can still play a different game while your friend borrows another one and plays that one at the same time. I assusme you can't do that currently, though I admit I've never tried.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
@ChrisDorner

I believe the difference is, this way, all the achievements and accomplishments in the games are credited to the borrower. Plus this way you can still play a different game while your friend borrows another one and plays that one at the same time. I assusme you can't do that currently, though I admit I've never tried.

It doesn't sound that way from the op. it says only one person can access the "library" not each individual game.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I need something small enough to travel with. that's not that big, but the Steambox form factor is much more conducive to travel
That thing can fit in a duffel bag or large backpack...doesn't get much better than that plus the flexibility to put whatever you want in there.