Spin Thread: How many of y'all can't swim?

Who here can't swim?

• Total voters

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
Just wondering what percent of folks on here really can't swim. :dwillhuh:

It's one thing to go out at sea or some shyt, but in a fairly shallow pool that's really sad.

If a hurricane/tsunami/flash flood came through, how many of y'all can actually swim? :jbhmm:

Reflected

Living in fear in the year of the tiger.
Daps
I can't swim, but I will make it a point to learn soon. I'm wondering if there are techniques that can be done outside of the pool in preparation for actual swimming.

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
I can't swim, but I will make it a point to learn soon. I'm wondering if there are techniques that can be done outside of the pool in preparation for actual swimming.

Outside of maybe doing flutter kicks, I can't think of many. Kicking is what trips a lot of folks up once they actually get in the pool.

Running/biking to get your cardio up wouldn't hurt either.

Reflected

Living in fear in the year of the tiger.
Daps
Why don't brehs be learning? :jbhmm:

No access to a pool growing up, and I didn't live near a body of water. Now I'm a military brat, and I'm sure there were pools on base, but I was never taken to the pool.

You are right to highlight the importance though, I will say it was always on a list of things to get around to, but you noting the flooding, which does happen almost once a year around here, alarmed me to the importance of it.

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
As my parents can’t swim they made sure to give my brother and I swimming lessons when we were very young.

Living in NYC and having a lot of native New Yorker friends and associates, I’ve noticed a lot of them A. Can’t swim or B. Can’t drive. Or learn these things a lot later than people in other areas. I had an ex who learned to swim in her mid 20s by taking a class at the Y.