Spider-Man (Official Thread)

Nymbus

Great Value Man™
Supporter
Daps
Game looks visually magnificent.

I'm still weary that the combat mechanics look like it might hold your hand too much; with the wuick time events and limitations on the lethality of Spidey's combat, there might be some hardwired results on every fight you have.

If I'm on a roof and I'm fighting goons, considering what they said about Spidey won't be killing people, how will the game force me from being able to jump kick a dude off the ledge?

I'm just worried about pre-determination that takes away from the organic feel one would want out of gameplay.

Now, that being said, if they actually come through and crush the buildings with a satisfying combat system...

Anyone have video links or articles where they touch on the intricacies of combat?
I'm worried they might over do it with the slo mo effects , hopefully it'll be a feature we can toggle to alter the difficulty

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I'm still weary that the combat mechanics look like it might hold your hand too much; with the wuick time events and limitations on the lethality of Spidey's combat, there might be some hardwired results on every fight you have.

If I'm on a roof and I'm fighting goons, considering what they said about Spidey won't be killing people, how will the game force me from being able to jump kick a dude off the ledge?

I'm just worried about pre-determination that takes away from the organic feel one would want out of gameplay.

Now, that being said, if they actually come through and crush the buildings with a satisfying combat system...

Anyone have video links or articles where they touch on the intricacies of combat?

From Game Informer's hands on
The Combat
Along with swinging through the city, we also got a chance to get into scuffles with assorted enemies. The combat is fast, aerial, and does not rely on extensive combos. Instead, it’s about managing the group around you, jumping between enemies, and dodging attacks with the aid of spider-sense. You build up a power meter to pull off finishers similar to the way you do in the Batman: Arkham games, and you can also work gadgets into the combat (which we will detail more in an online feature soon). Much like the web-swinging, there is an undeniable rhythm to fighting and it feels great. Spider-Man is an acrobat, and that aspect of his heroism feels properly integrated into his need to punch faces.

spidergignew1.gif

Spider-Man's animation is worth calling out specifically when it comes to combat. He moves with incredible speed and balletic grace and when you do pull off finishers, the camera moves in to show off slowed-down close-ups of what is happening. This isn't uncommon – slowing down the action to give players a better look – but I was particularly impressed with it in Spider-Man. Seeing the movements of his individual fingers as he pushed an enemy down to the ground in mid-air really gave a sense that nothing Spider-Man does with his body while in combat isn't a well thought-out maneuver.

Holding down the punch button launches enemies into the air, and throwing out webs to pull off swinging kicks is useful and encouraged. I was also impressed with the amount of environmental hazards integrated into every scenario. The most common one was grabbing an item (a barrel, a vent cover, a wooden pallet, etc.) with your webs and swinging it around your head to smash it into a single enemy. You could also pull of a similar maneuver with grenades to send them flying back where they came from.

spider_2D00_fight.gif

Spider-Man can also thrown out web shots to keep enemies in place, or web-zip over to them to close the gap. The latter move quickly became a favorite as I used it to keep the fight moving from enemy to enemy, and a way to get out of danger. If my spider-sense started tingling (denoted by an icon appearing around Spider-Man's head) I would use the zip to get out of the way of the danger and bring the fight to a new enemy. Staying mobile is key, and I had no problem keeping Spider-Man on his toes in every battle.
Spider-Man will never kill anybody
You might have noticed that in the press conference demo Spidey never, say, booted a dude off a rooftop and watched in grim satisfaction as he plummeted to an unsavory end. Not only that, he even saved the lives of random goons by slinging them away from certain doom a couple times. Intihar told me Spider-Man will have contingency animations—such as slinging baddies back onto rooftops, rather than letting them fall—that will keep players from killing anyone, even during unpredictable open-world shenanigans.

“It’s certain scenarios we’ve put him in, certain abilities he’ll do during combat to prevent people from dying,” Intihar said. “So whether it’s about deciding where stuff gets placed or how it unfolds, Spider-Man’s not gonna be killing people. That’s not the game we want to make.”

He added that it’s not just about villains. Civilians will be running around, too, trying to do their jobs and shop for groceries in between gawking and screaming at super battles. In the sequence Insomniac showed at E3, Spider-Man has to juggle bringing down a helicopter with saving civilians from its debris. Intihar said to expect more scenarios like that, because the development team wants it to feel like there are authentic stakes to your actions.

“We don’t want you to feel like you’re beating up guys just for the sake of beating up guys,” he explained. “We do have scenarios where there aren’t civilians around, but we also want to push the feeling of being a hero in New York City. Spider-Man is its protector. Whether someone’s calling him a menace or not, he feels responsible for it.”

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz

I'm still weary that the combat mechanics look like it might hold your hand too much; with the quick time events and limitations on the lethality of Spidey's combat, there might be some hardwired results on every fight you have.

Now, that being said, if they actually come through and crush the buildings with a satisfying combat system...:wow::whew:

I hope they don't skim on the combat and combo's. The flashy slow mo stuff is cool the 1st couple times but its all about combo's and combat after that.

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2018/04/11/how-combat-works-in-spider-man.aspx