Speaking of necessary: anyone else throw BCAA's in the bushes?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
If you're eating proper nutrition for whatever cycle you're in, especially cutting/weight loss, are BCAA's really doing anything other than taking $20-40 out your bank account each month? If you're fueling correctly, you shouldn't be breaking down your LBM therefore wtf is really the point of BCAA's?

-deleted-

Banned
Daps
My usual brand of L-Arganine, Bulk Supplements, once gave me a sample of BCAAs for free.

Did/felt nothing.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I take bcaa’s. Yes they work in large doses. Yes you can make gains without them. No they aren’t necessary but you can say that about any supplement. I don’t get the great debate. Most people that say they don’t work don’t take large enough doses.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I take bcaa’s. Yes they work in large doses. Yes you can make gains without them. No they aren’t necessary but you can say that about any supplement. I don’t get the great debate. Most people that say they don’t work don’t take large enough doses.
seems like people would take the dose it says on the bottle which is usually a scoop...

and you just framed the debate...you can make and keep gains without them

• Dap

The ADD

Old Master
Daps

Actually there is starting to be a new bank of information/studies that show it's not effective as a stand alone supplement for muscle building. If that's the case, I don't really see the benefit relative to the costs. Genrally speaking BCAA comes with a good quality protein source. If you are eating well where does one fit in these large doses of BCAA? Even when you you do are they really giving you that level of perceived gains relative to costs?

Just my wide ranging questions

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
They taste good

And who is going through an entire thing of BCAAs in a month.

• Dap

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Actually there is starting to be a new bank of information/studies that show it's not effective as a stand alone supplement for muscle building. If that's the case, I don't really see the benefit relative to the costs. Genrally speaking BCAA comes with a good quality protein source. If you are eating well where does one fit in these large doses of BCAA? Even when you you do are they really giving you that level of perceived gains relative to costs?

Just my wide ranging questions

Yes! The gains are real.

Depending on what I’m trying to accomplish intraworkout I’ll do 30-40 g bcaa’s. I can’t eat during my workout. Also I use them as a way to avoid being on a protein powder all year. FYI, you should change protein brands and types to avoid an intolerance to it, but that’s another discussion all together.

As far as cost go I buy from bulk supplements to avoid filler and keep cost down.

When I hear about studies I’d like to know how large was the dose? If it’s 5 grams post workout of course it’s a waste. And if the brand has half “proprietary blend” per scoop at best you’re getting 2.5 grams. Can you expect gains wit with a 5 gram scoop of protein powder.

I get what you’re saying and your question is interesting the way you framed it this time.

All I’m gonna say is take a dose large enough and you’ll change your mind. I thought they were a waste of money. Now I don’t.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I framed the debate for all supplements. This ain’t special. The obsession is odd.
where is the obsession? don't take your experiences elsewhere and project...i don't ever discuss bcaa's, so if this is something you feel people attack, ah well. i'm simply trying to get others' perspectives on this

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Yes! The gains are real.

Depending on what I’m trying to accomplish intraworkout I’ll do 30-40 g bcaa’s. I can’t eat during my workout. Also I use them as a way to avoid being on a protein powder all year. FYI, you should change protein brands and types to avoid an intolerance to it, but that’s another discussion all together.

As far as cost go I buy from bulk supplements to avoid filler and keep cost down.

When I hear about studies I’d like to know how large was the dose? If it’s 5 grams post workout of course it’s a waste. And if the brand has half “proprietary blend” per scoop at best you’re getting 2.5 grams. Can you expect gains wit with a 5 gram scoop of protein powder.

I get what you’re saying and your question is interesting the way you framed it this time.

All I’m gonna say is take a dose large enough and you’ll change your mind. I thought they were a waste of money. Now I don’t.

Define gains and how do you separate that from what you do nutritionally?

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
where is the obsession? don't take your experiences elsewhere and project...i don't ever discuss bcaa's, so if this is something you feel people attack, ah well. i'm simply trying to get others' perspectives on this

A few weeks ago there was a bcaa thread. Seems like bcaa’s are the lebron thread of the gym forum.
Define gains and how do you separate that from what you do nutritionally?

My nutrition doesn’t change much. I’ve been paleoish for 6 years. I reintroduced bcaa’s into my regimen 2 years ago. Bulking. It’s easier.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
A few weeks ago there was a bcaa thread. Seems like bcaa’s are the lebron thread of the gym forum.

My nutrition doesn’t change much. I’ve been paleoish for 6 years. I reintroduced bcaa’s into my regimen 2 years ago. Bulking. It’s easier.
I'm still confused as to what tangible benefits you are seeing.