Soo... Sony wants a Mario level IP.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps

and we all know this little bugger right here is the one to compete with a Master Chief, Mario, Sonic, Ryu, and all them other mascots that carry their brands. am I wrong?

iu

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
You can't just build that overnight. Nintendo have platinum plus IPs as they are heavy in the game, super tight on quality control and etched in peoples memories for generations.

That and you can only really have that type of impact in times of development when fields are new and lines are drawn. Look how many anthropomorphic mascots popped up around Sonic as a response to Mario and how many are around now.

They could, however, smash the game by creating an inverted parody of Mario aimed at a more mature audience but it would require a very creative team to not seem cliche and forced. No poochy.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trying to cultivate a Mario level IP today is going to be tough. You've got to balance quality, Saturday stream of releases, and not burning the property out. And on top of that, if you're really trying to get to that level, you have to accept that you really won't know if you've truly succeeded until maybe 15 or 20 years in, minimum.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
You can't just build that overnight. Nintendo have platinum plus IPs as they are heavy in the game, super tight on quality controlled and etched in peoples memories for generations.

That and you can only really have that type of impact in times of development when fields are new and lines are drawn. Look how many anthropomorphic mascots popped up around Sonic as a response to Mario and how many are around now.
true, but look at how touched people were with TLOU 1. Sony can do it if they start now. create the same magic but with an IP that grabs more than just mature audience.

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
I don't know what that is. But I agree they need to think differently beyond a cute mascot that everyone likes and introduce something different. Its entirely possible as there are many cool concepts out there waiting for it.

I'm really surprised we didn't see a Deus Ex movie or series as its perfect for the medium and would do numbers as they've already got the world built. Thats the way I see it, they create a virtual icon that is more human than 2D character and that becomes the franchise that pushes the system. Sprites were characters back when as they had to be, the game has changed so move with it.

Add in an AI driven online presence and people will fall over themselves. Create new legends in the moment by thinking of the future instead of trying to reinvent the past.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I would argue that Sackboy still has more clout than Astro as far as mascots go :manny: They could maybe push Rachel & Clank if they started pushing movies and other media with them (not sure if they've done that already)

Kratos is probably their best modern day mascot tho. At least to the hardcore gamers if not the general population

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
I would argue that Sackboy still has more clout than Astro as far as mascots go :manny: They could maybe push Rachel & Clank if they started pushing movies and other media with them (not sure if they've done that already)

Kratos is probably their best modern day mascot tho. At least to the hardcore gamers if not the general population
The average person has no clue who Kratos is