Sony starts the VRR & ALLM rollout for X900H TVs

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Sony makes great TVs, but they need to stop gaslighting people with this VRR stuff.
Its obvious that their TVs (whether its a display issue or SoC issue) cannot do VRR or 120Hz without significant compromises.
If they are able to properly handle VRR, they would have enabled it across their sets when PS5 launched.

We have reports that their current OLED lineup will raise black levels when it receives a 120Hz signal and now we have early reports saying that VRR disables local dimming on X900H.

I'm sure when they originally promised VRR they didn't think Youtube pages, websites and users would be able to identify its shortcomings and spread news quickly.

At this point, I question if the PS5 can send a proper VRR signal to sets. Its easy to assume that they don't want to enable it since none of their TVs support VRR and its a bad look for LG to have 'the perfect TV for PS5'. But on the other hand, they have to show and prove. Its not as simple as just having an HDMI 2.1 port to support VRR. They may have removed or reduced certain media encoders on the PS5 SoC which help with sending a proper signal.

Its been over a year for their TVs and almost a year for their console and they are just now rolling out VRR support on 1 set.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Sony makes great TVs, but they need to stop gaslighting people with this VRR stuff.
Its obvious that their TVs (whether its a display issue or SoC issue) cannot do VRR or 120Hz without significant compromises.
If they are able to properly handle VRR, they would have enabled it across their sets when PS5 launched.

We have reports that their current OLED lineup will raise black levels when it receives a 120Hz signal and now we have early reports saying that VRR disables local dimming on X900H.

I'm sure when they originally promised VRR they didn't think Youtube pages, websites and users would be able to identify its shortcomings and spread news quickly.

At this point, I question if the PS5 can send a proper VRR signal to sets. Its easy to assume that they don't want to enable it since none of their TVs support VRR and its a bad look for LG to have 'the perfect TV for PS5'. But on the other hand, they have to show and prove. Its not as simple as just having an HDMI 2.1 port to support VRR. They may have removed or reduced certain media encoders on the PS5 SoC which help with sending a proper signal.

Its been over a year for their TVs and almost a year for their console and they are just now rolling out VRR support on 1 set.

Yeah, the set is good, very good picture….but they dropped the ball on the next gen features. I still think its the best tv you can get in its price range however

Chef

All Star
Daps
What’s the consensus with tv brands regarding which company is top of the pack? My dad is old school and swears by brand names, he’s loyal to Bravia sets but doesn’t know shyt about them. :lolbron:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

My understanding is that that main source of all issues related to 120hz, VRR, and the number of HDMI 2.1 ports come back to the Mediatek SoC they're using in the TVs.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Yeah, the set is good, very good picture….but they dropped the ball on the next gen features. I still think its the best tv you can get in its price range however

It is, I shopped around before I bought my set. I had the Samsung Q70T for day, took it back, looked at the Q80T (over $1K more than the Sony), decided on the X900H.