Sony PS5 Backwards Compatibility Patent (leak)

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Sony patenta un nuevo sistema de retrocompatibilidad de PS5 con PS4, PS3, PS2 y PSX

Google Translate said:
Sony Japan has just registered a new patent that allows the retrocompatibility of the hardware with previous consoles. It is a system to be applied in a future machine, PS5, and that allows the CPU of the new console to be able to "interpret" the central unit of the previous machines. The author of the development was Mark Cerny, the architect who designed the PS4 structure, and the patent, which has been filed under number 2019-503013, briefly explains what it consists of.

The aim is to make the applications designed for the previous consoles (legacy device) run perfectly on the most powerful hardware, and is focused on eliminating the synchronization errors between the new consoles and the behavior of the previous ones (PS4, PS3, PS2 and PSX). For example, if the CPU of the new console is faster than the previous one, data could be overwritten prematurely, even if they were still being used by another component.

Thanks to the new system, PS5 would be able to imitate the behavior of the previous consoles, so that the information that arrives at the different processors is returned in response to the "calls" of the games. The processor is able to detect the needs of each application and behave as if it were the original "brain" of each machine, cheating the software. This technology does not prevent PS5 could also have additional processors to have compatibility with machines whose architecture is difficult to replicate, as in the case of PS2.

In this blog you can see the most detailed information of the patent, with the diagrams in Japanese. Yesterday we explained the SRGAN process that allows you to perform "remastering by emulation" (another of the elements that Sony has patented, and converts images in SD resolution in 4K using artificial intelligence.

more pdf's

US20170212774A1 - Spoofing cpuid for backwards compatibility - Google Patents

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/70/8c/2d/dcd3d88791661a/US20170212774A1.pdf

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I never day one anything nowadays, especially hardware, but, damn this is tempting

Though I have a PS2, anyway

I only had a used PS3 for one year (Gamestop :scusthov:) and didn't like it (the hardware and software) outside of Last of Us and WWE 13

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
Sony going to need another " we support used games" and this would be it .

If they do this , Xbox already lost before the next gen race even started .