Sony Next-gen VR controller details released.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz

Features
The new VR controller enables players to feel and interact with games in a much more visceral way. There are several features, including key features from the DualSense controller, which match our vision for what next-generation VR games can be.

● Adaptive triggers: Each VR controller (Left and Right) includes an adaptive trigger button that adds palpable tension when pressed, similar to what’s found in the DualSense controller. If you’ve played a PS5 game, you’ll be familiar with the tension in the L2 or R2 buttons when you press them, such as when you’re drawing your bow to fire an arrow. When you take that kind of mechanic and apply it to VR, the experience is amplified to the next level.

● Haptic feedback: The new controller will have haptic feedback optimized for its form factor, making every sensation in the game world more impactful, textured and nuanced. When you’re traversing through rocky desert or trading blows in melee combat, you’ll feel the difference, magnifying the extraordinary visual and audio experience that’s so central to VR.

● Finger touch detection: The controller can detect your fingers without any pressing in the areas where you place your thumb, index, or middle fingers. This enables you to make more natural gestures with your hands during gameplay.

● Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller.

● Action buttons / analog sticks: The Left controller contains one analog stick, the triangle and square buttons, a “grip” button (L1), trigger button (L2) and Create button. The Right controller contains one analog stick, the cross and circle buttons, a “grip” button (R1), trigger button (R2) and Options button. The “grip” button can be used to pick up in-game objects, as one example.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I appreciate the leap in making a complete redesign. Unfortunately I think PSVR is going to have the same uphill battle gen 1 had.
It’ll likely be priced at the same price of the console itself or a little more and people unfamiliar with the experience are not going to feel the desire to gamble with that much money.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
I appreciate the leap in making a complete redesign. Unfortunately I think PSVR is going to have the same uphill battle gen 1 had.
It’ll likely be priced at the same price of the console itself or a little more and people unfamiliar with the experience are not going to feel the desire to gamble with that much money.

Therein lies Sony's issue this gen and last, they don't do a good enough job introducing and selling the experience to non-VR enthusiast.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
I mean…it’s kinda difficult to do that.
There are some technical limitations in sharing the experience but I'm talking more marketing/word of mouth type things such as Sony doing random pop-ups (pre/post pandemic) allowing people to try the technology in a mall or at festivals and recording the reactions and interactions. Most potential buyers of the hardware have been given no real reason why they should.

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
Like I posted in another thread, Sony has to open up their headset and make them compatible with the PC

I think more people would buy them if they had more uses outside of just PlayStation, because the inevitable entry price may not be worth the squeeze yet.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This is slick. I hope this gen is VRs big breakthrough cuz i feel like its the next big advancement for gaming. Just a matter of gettin people to adopt it.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This is slick. I hope this gen is VRs big breakthrough cuz i feel like its the next big advancement for gaming. Just a matter of gettin people to adopt it.

They need compelling software for it. AAA games made specifically for VR like Valve did with Alyx. It’s already been made clear you can’t convince people on adopting it through just saying it looks cool, you gotta out big, known franchises and studios on it.

No one wants to pay 300 dollars for something thats gonna collect dust after a few uses