Sony buying crunchyroll for over 957 million

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I only fear for fansubs. A lot of them have gone ghost already but if Sony decides to go after them...:huhldup:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I only fear for fansubs. A lot of them have gone ghost already but if Sony decides to go after them...:huhldup:
Most subs released these days are just a rip of the Crunchyroll or Funimation subs. If a show is unlicensed Sony won’t go after this. Legit subs have no real threat from this. Mainly just piracy would be threatened.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I don't watch anime so I'm admittedly ignorant on a lot but I didn't know Crunchyroll had gained this much power :ohhh:

Sony absorbed Funimation, Crunchyroll, Aniplex (a subsidiary of Sony Music Group) , and now this company. They are very close to approaching an actual monopoly on anime

It almost does make me think they will go after Kadokawa soon.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I remember when crunchyroll was some super low key shyt that you had to be like at least a level 7 anime nerd to even know about it :wow:

I remember when it was kind of shady and people were like wait is it even legal for me to be paying them to watch anime that's not even available in my country at all:wow:

Remember when they had anime that was so obscure it just straight up didn't have subtitles or closed caption or nothing :wow:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
With the way David Zaslav is dismantling animation over at HBO Max Discovery Crunchyroll was truly saved by this. He just passed on a new Batman the animate series headed by Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams, and Matt Reeves.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
With the way David Zaslav is dismantling animation over at HBO Max Discovery Crunchyroll was truly saved by this. He just passed on a new Batman the animate series headed by Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams, and Matt Reeves.

What the fukk that’s not happening now????

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Still happening just won't be on HBO Max
It's being shopped to other services. The question is does anybody bite on it? Would you pay good money for this to boost a WB brand character in the day and age where everybody is building out their own brands?