Sony buying crunchyroll for over 957 million

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
we might get free crunchyroll with ps plus! more anime more problems!!!!

ji6pl4gsms5kt9apvodp.png

The Tokyo-based electronics giant is reportedly going into the final round of negotiations to buy Crunchyroll. According to Nikkei Asia, the acquisition could cost Sony over 100 billion yen ($957 million).

This comes as Sony obtained the exclusive right to negotiate for the popular anime streaming service.

Up to now, Sony has been licensing its anime, such as the smash-hit Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, to other anime-steaming services. Adding Crunchyroll to its portfolio would put Sony in an even position to face off against Netflix and Hulu.

Crunchyroll was founded in 2006 and now has 70 million free members and 3 million subscribers. AT&T became its parent company in 2018. Earlier this year, our colleagues at Gizmodo reported that AT&T was rumored to be looking to sell Crunchyroll to Sony for, at that time, $1.5 billion.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
we might get free crunchyroll with ps plus! more anime more problems!!!!

ji6pl4gsms5kt9apvodp.png

The Tokyo-based electronics giant is reportedly going into the final round of negotiations to buy Crunchyroll. According to Nikkei Asia, the acquisition could cost Sony over 100 billion yen ($957 million).

This comes as Sony obtained the exclusive right to negotiate for the popular anime streaming service.

Up to now, Sony has been licensing its anime, such as the smash-hit Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, to other anime-steaming services. Adding Crunchyroll to its portfolio would put Sony in an even position to face off against Netflix and Hulu.

Crunchyroll was founded in 2006 and now has 70 million free members and 3 million subscribers. AT&T became its parent company in 2018. Earlier this year, our colleagues at Gizmodo reported that AT&T was rumored to be looking to sell Crunchyroll to Sony for, at that time, $1.5 billion.
You not getting free Crunchyroll. Sony owns Funimation and that isn’t free now. My hope is VRV survives this and Funimation is added back to it. I’m doubtful.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
On one hand, I’m tremendously grateful if it serves us. On the other, I wish those resources could go to even more gaming :mjlit: Crunchyroll sub is nothing to pay for all the content